Few Quick Questions

I am new, so let me know if I am violating any unwritten traditions...

I am the new owner of a Spyderco and was wondering what everyone uses to keep their Syderco like new. On the website, they recommend using oil or silicone, but I was wondering about a specific brand. I have heard that Tuf-Cloth and Militec are good, but am unsure as to the positives and downfalls of each of these.

Also, I am sure other people have asked this, but what is the difference between the Civilian and the Matriarch? Not just the specifications, but the design ideas behind both of them.

Thanks.
J

P.S. Mr. Glesser, if you could respond, I would be greatly appreciative.

Welcome J Alder. I'm also new to this forum. I think that the Civilian and Matriarch are both closely related. They are both lockbacks that are designed with self defense in mind. Because of that Spyderco does the responsible thing and markets these two models very carefully, i.e. not advertising them very much, so that they do not find themselves in the wrong hands.

The Civilian is handle in G-10 and was originally designed by Spyderco for use by an undercover Federal agent. The Matriarch on the other hand sports Zytel handles and until recently was only available in South Africa and Israel. In both cases their intended use was not utility, but rather self-defense.

The others should be along to help you shortly.

Welcome J.
I bought a Tuf Cloth when I first got into knives, but now I don't really bother with it. All my spydies (440V) stay rust free without me doing anything special for them. I just wipe em' off when wet and they stay more or less as new. I'd say a sharpmaker would be a solid investment towards knife maintenence though. Miltec is a lube, for the pivot. Never used it, but I hear it's good. I use Pedro's Ice Wax, or Rem Oil. Which spyderco did you get?
smile.gif

I purchased a Harpy due to the large amounts of rope I find myself cutting, and so far, it is working like a dream.
J

Back