How To Fictional Character Knife Throwing

I am a novelist with a couple of questions about knife throwing.

The hero is crouching down as he throws a knife into the villain's shoulder, about ten feet away.

Is that a plausible move for a skilled knife thrower?

What type of knife might he use?

How would he conceal-carry such a knife?

Thank you in advance.

P.S. He needs the villain alive, thus the winging, not a kill shot.

This scenario is inherently unrealistic because knives aren't for when you need someone alive, they kill people. They are not suited for stopping people unless you kill them. A knife in the shoulder might cause a wound that eventually proves fatal due to blood loss but will not stop someone on the spot, or even really slow them down. So, I'd suggest you go with whatever details you feel enhance the story.

Last edited:
You can do it, but is there a reason for the shoulder and not the leg? 10ft you can probably do a no-spin throw, it which case it doesnt need to be a dedicated throwing knife (like a small pointy fixed blade can probably do it).

I'm no expert, I just chuck it at wooden boards and pray.

Edit: heres a well known knifetuber showing you how, might be hard crouching but not impossible

OP, if you are going to go for any kind of realism in your depiction of knife throwing in general, then you ought to read Ralph Thorn's book on the subject. His no spin throwing technique seems to make the most sense for combat throwing.

You can do it, but is there a reason for the shoulder and not the leg? 10ft you can probably do a no-spin throw, it which case it doesnt need to be a dedicated throwing knife (like a small pointy fixed blade can probably do it).

I'm no expert, I just chuck it at wooden boards and pray.

Edit: heres a well known knifetuber showing you how, might be hard crouching but not impossible

Didn't consider the leg. Will now. Thanks.

OP, if you are going to go for any kind of realism in your depiction of knife throwing in general, then you ought to read Ralph Thorn's book on the subject. His no spin throwing technique seems to make the most sense for combat throwing.
Thank you for the book recommendation.

Dick Danger uncoiled his Columbia River Knife and Tool Sebenza Thirty One with one hand and and wiped the sweat from his brow with his other hand with his other hand he indicated that Kris Kriminal should stop before it was too late. When Kris Kriminal did not stop DIck Danger used his other hand to rapidly throw his Columbia River Knife and Tool Sebenza Thirty One directly into Kris Krimanl's unprotected meaty right shoulder. Avast villain he shouted and grabbed Kris Kiminal with his other hand. Tell me where she is he demanded while using his other hand to slighly twist his Columbia River Knife and Tool Sebenza Thirty One in Kris Krimial's meaty left shoulder all the while using his other hand to restrain the evil doer. Kris Kriminal stared deeply into Dick Danger's eyes and realized this time there would be no escape.

How sure are we that Dick isn't the villain here?

I have no experience throwing knives, but it does not seem like a realistic scenario, crouching or not. Unless getting hit from behind, the person would see the knife throw coming and make some move to avoid it. Even with a magnificent throw there is still a chance of hitting a bone, an artery, or something on the clothing which would deflect the weapon. As an example scenario, watch that Roger Moore/James Bond movie where he throws the climbing piton to kill a person and see how goofy it comes off.

Have the crouching person throw the knife at something to create a diversion and close the 10 foot distance wielding some improvised melee weapon. Even better, have it be a horrible throw that breaks an overhead light that drops glass on evil guy forcing them to divert their eyes. 🧐

The rule of thumb distance within which a hand held blade weapon is often considered a sufficient threat to warrant lethal force to stop = 21ft / 7 yards .

That's twice the distance you've proposed .

At 10ft , an accurate throw is more possible , but harder to understand why an able bodied , athletic hero type would risk a throw rather than just close the distance remaining .

IMO , most combat throwing is expected to be more a distraction to gain time and space than a fight ender per se .

Ending the fight , with a non-lethal wound , by one knife throw, would be more luck than skill , unless our hero is a world class combat thrower .

But fictional fights are rarely very realistic , so there's not much problem to live up to reader expectations of verisimilitude. ;)

Just one problem jlauffer jlauffer , if you read the source material carefully, Dick Danger is a septapus.

Yes....you can pin some one with a thrown knife easily at that distance.

Look up no spin knife throwing.

I can stick a target overhand, underhand side arm or back hand at that distance.

he can't possibly miss aiming with this ....
Ballistic Knives : Weapons for Secret Services and Special Forces ...

carring it
carry it tucked inside his 10" boots.
thoiugh that would be a pretty standard
concealment carry method.
this also means that the character
doesnt wear tights.and dresses
in loose fitting clothes to hide
his deadly arsenal.

am a novelist with a couple of questions about knife throwing.

What type of knife might he use?

How would he conceal-carry such a knife?

Thank you in advance.

Back