Fiddlebacks and Smokers

Nice. My day job is selling to the hardware type stores. I've seen some similar versions in my travels to various trade shows in the US and China, but most use LP/propane, which in my mind defeats the purpose of having an outdoor oven. You lose all of that flavor and might as well do it indoors in your kitchen.

How hot will it go? Can it get to about 700?

I make my own rubs, and use sugar and spices in the pork rub but just salt and pepper on the beef. I cook a little hotter than most (250-275) until I get the desired bark and then wrap for the remainder of the cook. Each piece of meat is different so I just do it by feel & time vs the original weight than internal temp, although it turns out pretty consistently. I do use a water pan, or with brisket I add herbs and veggies to the pan and put it just under the meat.

I am still figuring out my technique. I can't worry about rubs yet. :D Ok seriously I look forward to experimenting with rubs but the Oakridge products have been fantastic. I use more fruit woods or pecan for my smoke. I find the hardwoods are a bit too strong for some people's (my wife :)) taste. My temps actually vary and I'll adjust according to internal temps but I am still trying to obtain a good baseline for consistency.

So far I like smoking a Boston Butt to 170 internal (give or take depending on visual inspection) is good. Then I wrap and pull at 190. That gives a really nice bark. For Baby Backs or St Louis ribs I do 2 hours of smoke then 2 hours foil wrapped then 30 minutes sauced on a stoked grill to caramelize.

I like the idea of herbs in the water pan. I have also heard of using beer or other drinks for flavor.

Nice. My day job is selling to the hardware type stores. I've seen some similar versions in my travels to various trade shows in the US and China, but most use LP/propane, which in my mind defeats the purpose of having an outdoor oven. You lose all of that flavor and might as well do it indoors in your kitchen.

How hot will it go? Can it get to about 700?

Yeah, it will hit 700 F. This is a ceramic oven. The front lower pull out holds a complete bag of bricks. The front door design, air flow, and cooking surface blows the panties off any ceramic egg design because you don't lose your desired temp from opening the 'lid'. BGE, Komado Joe, and Primo are all located here in the Atlanta area. All one in the same .. doesnt matter what color they're coating with.

The engineer who designed this table top was the lead R&D guy at BGE from their beginning. BGE big wigs didnt want to develop it because they thought it would dig too hard into their BGE 'brand' .. so he left the company and went into a business partnership with my wife.

Some of the other foods I smoke are salmon, salmon candy, halibut, trout, onions, pork roast, sea salt and I'm going smoke some peppercorns when I get home from the North Slope.

I had to swap cards on my phone to grab some pics for yall. I filled it up and swapped and can't remember where I put it. Loving how this thread is going so far!!!!!

Btw here is a little tip for getting crispy skin on chicken. Use Morton's table salt. Nothing else on the the skin until after it crisp. Use it generously. WHen I was taught this method he used probably twice as much as what I thought he would use. I cook chicken at 250 degrees and the skin with salt will cook for about 2.5 to 3 hours. After that the skin will be crispy and thats when I dip them in a vinegar based sauce a couple times over the next hour.

Yeah, it will hit 700 F. This is a ceramic oven. The front lower pull out holds a complete bag of bricks. The front door design, air flow, and cooking surface blows the panties off any ceramic egg design because you don't lose your desired temp from opening the 'lid'. BGE, Komado Joe, and Primo are all located here in the Atlanta area. All one in the same .. doesnt matter what color they're coating with.

The engineer who designed this table top was the lead R&D guy at BGE from their beginning. BGE big wigs didnt want to develop it because they thought it would dig too hard into their BGE 'brand' .. so he left the company and went into a business partnership with my wife.

Sounds like a winner.

I'm familiar with most of those guys. My last company was in Atl. and we did BBQ accessories for one of the larger retailers for many years. I'm out of that company and the category now, but it was fun business.

I am still figuring out my technique. I can't worry about rubs yet. :D Ok seriously I look forward to experimenting with rubs but the Oakridge products have been fantastic. I use more fruit woods or pecan for my smoke. I find the hardwoods are a bit too strong for some people's (my wife :)) taste. My temps actually vary and I'll adjust according to internal temps but I am still trying to obtain a good baseline for consistency.

So far I like smoking a Boston Butt to 170 internal (give or take depending on visual inspection) is good. Then I wrap and pull at 190. That gives a really nice bark. For Baby Backs or St Louis ribs I do 2 hours of smoke then 2 hours foil wrapped then 30 minutes sauced on a stoked grill to caramelize.

I like the idea of herbs in the water pan. I have also heard of using beer or other drinks for flavor.

Check this guy out. He gives a lot of great info for the beginner through intermediate smokers. His recipes are a good starting point that you can modify as you learn to fit your own tastes.
http://amazingribs.com/index.html

I'm currently running a MES 30" which is electric but I also use charcoal in it so that you get that nitrogen which helps break down the fibers of the meat to help get that Smoke Ring:)

I also use a Weber 22.5! I'm looking at getting either a Komoda Joe, green egg or I really want a MMS36 :)

I'll try to get some pics a bit later been a crazy day

I know it sounds weird but try smoked eggs. I just throw a few to the back let em set for about an hour or more depending on heat. They get a nice smoky flavor. The wife made deviled eggs one time out of them that were pretty dang good according to the crowd. I don't partake in deviled eggs, their not for me. I'm not sure how they would turn out on a grill.

The big smokers behind the shop in repair mood right now but here's some shots of the little home made wood/charcoal burner. Not huge but I've feed over 40 people from this little guy. I'll try to post better ones later.

Last edited:
Great setup everybody, making my mouth water. Ever since I started getting high BP, I've cut out red meats (may have a steak once every 3 months or so), which helps me manage my BP without meds.....but man, I'd love to have smoker.

My best friend lives just outside of Chicago. I came down for the weekend to hang out. We did a small brisket yesterday.

I also had a new brisket rub I wanted to try. Oakridge BBQ Spec Ops rub. I was very happy with the flavor. This is a bit more pepper based than other rubs. It also contains coffee which helped produce a nice bark. Overall I gave this brisket a grade B. We were running out of time and I purposely let my heat rise to shorten the smoke time. (I know better :eek:) It was just a little bit too "done" and by shortening the cook time I didn't quite get the fall apart texture I typically like but Overall it had real nice flavor.

I also tried out a new wireless thermometer. Wow was that nice! With a few adjustments of the vents I was able to dial my heat right down to 245 - 250. I now realize just how far off I've probably been with my heat range using a dial oven thermometer.

20151211_105517_zpsm7svsqqs.jpg

20151206_154304-1_zpsingtprpm.jpg

20151211_172852_zpst51fgosr.jpg

i know quite a few guys that swear by black ops on brisket
it's on my short list of things to try

Loved my BGE, but have simplified (and saved lots of setup time) with my Traeger. I've got a Lil Tex and enjoy Boston Butt for out pulled pork, brisket, tenderloins in beef or pork, and almost any other meats like steaks and hamburger have been more juicy than any of my other grills. Smokin' for dummies works for me.

14260136919_9d6f499a33_c.jpg

16840388043_57a28e3ae7_c.jpg

20463505420_e3fe0a951d_c.jpg

Back