Fiebings Grey dye ?

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hi folks, have a request to make a sheath but he wants it dyed in a grey colour, sort of to match the Ti handles of the knife.

Question is, has anyone ever tried using a grey leather dye and if so, how well did that come out?

Thanks in advance!
G2

I didn't even know you could get Grey dye .
I've just ordered some new Fiebings dye today , but didn't see Grey in the catalog .
What colours do you use mostly ?
I don't want to derail your thread but as I mentioned in my message I've ended up buying the small bottles instead of the large to compare the new stuff to the old .
I think I remember seeing that you use those wool dauber's , do you use them multiple times or only once ?

Ken

Thanks Anthony and Ken I was able to talk the guy down from using Grey, we're going to experiment with something else.

As to colours my only ones are;

Saddle Tan

Light Brown

Dark Brown

Burgundy

Black

I get the quart containers and transfer to smaller containers for working time.
G2

The old bottles in glass came with a dauber. I keep one for each color and rinse them out after use.

My wife dumped over a bottle of my green dye the other day. My hands look like I got overly friendly with the grench. :(

Haha nice, should get a quick photo for a keepsake!

And forgot to mention that I do use the wool daubers, I usually have one rubber banded to the small jar for each colour. After a while I'll replace it with a new one.

When I am working on several projects at the same time, I work the lighter coloured sheaths first and progress to the darker colours in that order. That way if I might accidentally get some dye onto adjacent projects that haven't been dyed yet, the darker would 'should' cover up anything that went astray.

I did knock over a bottle of black once, but it was on the table, but the dauber did drop to our 'light coloured carpet' once and boy did I hear about that !!! especially since we JUST got the carpet not long before I did that :(

G2

Thanks Anthony and Ken I was able to talk the guy down from using Grey, we're going to experiment with something else.

As to colours my only ones are;

Saddle Tan

Light Brown

Dark Brown

Burgundy

Black

I get the quart containers and transfer to smaller containers for working time.
G2

To tell you the truth I just gave a big sigh of relief when I read that the Grey has been cancelled .
I had visions of the Grey fake leather shoes that I owned back in the eighties when I was going through my Miami Vice stage .:)
Those shoes still give me nightmares .

Ken

You're welcome Citizen !

My work here is done ;)

G2

My friend had a grey leather jacket that he had made while somewhere in the sandbox. It was the coolest! Buuuut that was back in the 80's so...

You can find very nice grey shades in very good leathers….BUT they will all be in high grade lightweight, kidskin, and other light weight lining materials, etc. and….they will all be chrome tanned.

Grey is not a color that will dye into veg tan readily. The old "Cova" paint "dyes" and some of the newer water based paint type colors might give you a truer grey color but the color would lay on the surface.

Paul

Thanks very much Paul!
G2

I don't know about grey dye, but a while back I recieved a sample of a 3 mm dyed through shoulder in a lovely grey color. The sample came from Marcus Gear in the UK.
That could be something for someone to try out if they ever want to use a grey color.
Alex

Edit* I had the piece close by, so I took a photo of it. The text on the back says anthracite, so I guess it's a darker shade of grey.

Attachments

• DSC_0694.jpg
    DSC_0694.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I don't know about grey dye, but a while back I recieved a sample of a 3 mm dyed through shoulder in a lovely grey color. The sample came from Marcus Gear in the UK.
That could be something for someone to try out if they ever want to use a grey color.
Alex

Edit* I had the piece close by, so I took a photo of it. The text on the back says anthracite, so I guess it's a darker shade of grey.
Pretty cool! They specialize in veg tanned, but it looks like they have several different types. How's the temper? Is it oiled, or can it readily be wet molded? Neat looking stuff.

Pretty cool! They specialize in veg tanned, but it looks like they have several different types. How's the temper? Is it oiled, or can it readily be wet molded? Neat looking stuff.

The range of leathers that piece is part of is called Dakota. I think you have to ask for it, because they don't have it on their website. It comes in all sorts of colors including the standard black and dark brown, but also blue, red and green shades etc.
As for wet moulding I can't say for sure, I haven't tried it myself. But I am almost certain you can't. The flesh side is sealed in a way and will hardly crack even if you fold it back on itself. It won't repel water, but it's very resistant.
I have three hides and they all feel a bit different to the touch. One of them has a distinct waxy feel and smells incredibly good. The other two share the same qualities but with less distinction, maybe they are older I don't know.

The range of leathers that piece is part of is called Dakota. I think you have to ask for it, because they don't have it on their website. It comes in all sorts of colors including the standard black and dark brown, but also blue, red and green shades etc.
As for wet moulding I can't say for sure, I haven't tried it myself. But I am almost certain you can't. The flesh side is sealed in a way and will hardly crack even if you fold it back on itself. It won't repel water, but it's very resistant.
I have three hides and they all feel a bit different to the touch. One of them has a distinct waxy feel and smells incredibly good. The other two share the same qualities but with less distinction, maybe they are older I don't know.
Very good. I may just contact them about getting a piece. Might make some great pouches. :)

Very good. I may just contact them about getting a piece. Might make some great pouches. :)

I don't think you would regret it if you did. The attached photos show a pouch made using the Dakota. It's a great flexible leather ideal for the job.

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 23
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 21
Strig buddy, Hide House has a Dakota leather and it sounds pretty similar. Its a chrome tan I've used it for leggings before. Nope I take it all back it doesn't look the same. The pics of the pouch had not posted when I typed. That looks veggie to me.

Strig buddy, Hide House has a Dakota leather and it sounds pretty similar. Its a chrome tan I've used it for leggings before. Nope I take it all back it doesn't look the same. The pics of the pouch had not posted when I typed. That looks veggie to me.
I really need to stop in over there. I'd have to leave Becky elsewhere though, she gets bored when I want to spend hours looking at "my" stuff. Otoh, scratch that. Payback for making me see a chick flick (my wife and daughters actually talked me into seeing one of those girly vampire movies. Rubbish!) and so help me God, if she tries to make me watch 50 shades of grey I'll gnaw my own arm off to get out of it. I'll get downright creative. Primal.
I don't think you would regret it if you did. The attached photos show a pouch made using the Dakota. It's a great flexible leather ideal for the job.
That is super nice... There are some places that do really neat boutique(ish) leather right here in the States (like Horween in Chicago), but I've never seen gray that wasn't cheesy.

I'm sold.

Hi folks, have a request to make a sheath but he wants it dyed in a grey colour, sort of to match the Ti handles of the knife.

Question is, has anyone ever tried using a grey leather dye and if so, how well did that come out?

Thanks in advance!
G2

I had the same problem, I was looking for white dye and they told me Fiebings did not make it anymore. So, I´ve tried everything because a costumer wanted a sheath in grey/green. I mixed a lot of colors together and I succeeded, but it was not easy and it cost a lot of dye.
A while later I made a wallet for my girlfriend with a horse on it and the nose had to be grey. I took one part black and three parts Fiebings Dye Reducer and what did I get? Grey!

Last edited:
That's pretty cool, I bet she loves that!
Thanks,
G2

Back