Field Knife leather sheath options?

Any time you want something not on the site just shoot me an email and I will see what I can do to order the knife for your build. For things that are hard to get a hold of like the Field Knife it will need to be sent in to have it built, turnaround is pretty quick. If some enterprising individual wants to proxy me one on a friday you may find yourself with a free sheath.

Any time you want something not on the site just shoot me an email and I will see what I can do to order the knife for your build. For things that are hard to get a hold of like the Field Knife it will need to be sent in to have it built, turnaround is pretty quick. If some enterprising individual wants to proxy me one on a friday you may find yourself with a free sheath.

I could try. If you get the pattern I may want to change my order to that one instead of the Bravo Squad Leader I ordered hoping for a close fit.

Carries nicely on the hip, i hate when the handle of knives touch my body. It's not like i need to draw the knife in .05 seconds, i'd rather it be deep carry, out of the way of my upper body and most of all, comfortable to carry (or i won't carry it)!

Sorry let me be more specific, why does the knife have to be so deep in the sheath. I have only tried a sheath like that once and found it a pain to get the knife out of, and prone to cutting the inside of the sheath with the knife on draw and insertion.

I see a couple of you guys saying that is the style you prefer, so I wonder if I am missing something.

Sagewood seems to be the best of both world, where the blade is held, and there is a little leather covering a portion of the handle where the snap retains the blade so no damage from the snap.

I could take this opportunity to whine about the damage the Spec Ops sheath has done to one of the wood handled knives I have, but I won't.

More leather making contact with the handle material provides more friction between the two and better retention.

Low riding sheaths are much more comfortable imo when bending or twisting around also. For that a low riding sheath or something like a dangler attachment is needed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sorry let me be more specific, why does the knife have to be so deep in the sheath. I have only tried a sheath like that once and found it a pain to get the knife out of, and prone to cutting the inside of the sheath with the knife on draw and insertion.

I see a couple of you guys saying that is the style you prefer, so I wonder if I am missing something.

Sagewood seems to be the best of both world, where the blade is held, and there is a little leather covering a portion of the handle where the snap retains the blade so no damage from the snap.

It doesn't have to be that deep but that's about where i like it. The more handle sticking out of the sheath means it will ride higher on your hip. I prefer the knife to ride low as i mentioned i hate when the handle touches the top half of my body, worst is when you bend and the handle digs into your ribs.. Also, I don't like or think retention snaps are needed for a small knife. It's another step to pull the knife out and when removing the knife the blade usually runs against the retention strap, or worse, the metal snap.

YMMV, it's just the way i prefer to carry smaller knives. Anything bigger, a simple Kydex sheath will do as it will just be stuffed in my pack!

EDIT: It's also easier to draw a knife that rides lower as you elbows can only bend so far! (unless you cross draw the knife, then it doesn't matter)

I could take this opportunity to whine about the damage the Spec Ops sheath has done to one of the wood handled knives I have, but I won't.

I like a knife to ride low on my hip, and some knives balance weird in a drop loop sheath that has that long of a loop.

I don't have to have a pouch, but I do have to have a knife that rides well balanced and rides with the pommel around the top of my belt line.

I think I am confused. I didn't think the pouch depth has anything to do with where the sheath rides. I have a couple BRKT sheaths that ride quite low and only the blade is in the sheath. The handle is well exposed. So the main difference would be the handle in the sheath for retention as well, or a strap for retention.

So I guess I am wondering more why have such a deep pouch, other than "better retention" lol.

I think I am confused. I didn't think the pouch depth has anything to do with where the sheath rides. I have a couple BRKT sheaths that ride quite low and only the blade is in the sheath. The handle is well exposed. So the main difference would be the handle in the sheath for retention as well, or a strap for retention.

So I guess I am wondering more why have such a deep pouch, other than "better retention" lol.

With all due respect, you are definitely confused. The deeper the knife sits in the sheath, the lower it rides, which leads to the main reason i want a sheath like that, comfort, not retention.

Something like this?

With all due respect, you are definitely confused. The deeper the knife sits in the sheath, the lower it rides, which leads to the main reason i want a sheath like that, comfort, not retention.

I mean something like above, vs something like this...

1320079731-Stacked_Leather_Knives_059__425x640_.jpg

Why the top one and not the bottom one? They are both going to ride similar.

Maybe because he carries in Australia and prefers the totally sunk in look as opposed to the exposed handles?!

1320079731-Stacked_Leather_Knives_059__425x640_.jpg

Pure preference of retention style, they would indeed ride similarly. I prefer the deeper pouch sheath personally so I don't have to mess with the snaps but that's all subjective.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sorry Justin, i should of clarified, my fault. I thought we were talking about sheaths like the top one where the belt loop doesn't go higher than where the knife enters the sheath. In the case of the two photos you posted, i would still go with the top one as i don't like the handle flapping around. Hope you understand my preferences now with that bit of context.. apologies for the confusion!

Sorry Justin, i should of clarified, my fault. I thought we were talking about sheaths like the top one where the belt loop doesn't go higher than where the knife enters the sheath. In the case of the two photos you posted, i would still go with the top one as i don't like the handle flapping around. Hope you understand my preferences now with that bit of context.. apologies for the confusion!

NO problem! I respect people's preferences, and I always do my best to understand them. Never know when I might find something better than the way I am doing it.

Thanks Grogy!

Back