Field knife test

rodriguez7

Gila wilderness knife works
Well, we had a very successful deer hunt, guess I made up for my rough elk hunt. I did not have a chance for pics, sorry. But I wanted to give my opinion of the edge retention. I was able to skin out 3 of the 4 buck we got, these are big New Mexico mule deer. I was very amazed at how well this knife did, I only touched it up at the very end of my last buck, and I'm sure I didn't need to, just needed to get into a tough to reach place and needed it really sharp. Over all the knife felt great, and did very well. I'm very pleased with the edge retention of nates heat treated 3v. Very impressive. After all that I was able to cut up all the rest of the meat today, debone everything, with out re sharpening the knife. We had several other knives on the table, benchmade s30v, esee 1095, zt s35vn, zt vanadis 4e, and busse infi. Overall this field knife held out the longest with having to resharpen.

Glad to hear you did so well on the Muleys.

Also, happy to hear the D3V did well for you, and the FK worked. It was worth sending your way!

Yes sir, I'm pleased. Thanks man. Next month when we butcher my two pigs I'll put it up against zwear and sr101

Good luck on the next hunt.
What is the geometry that your SR101 and CPK FK are sporting?

Angle, BTE thickness, which Busse will you have with you?

What is the geometry that your SR101 and CPK FK are sporting?

Angle, BTE thickness, which Busse will you have with you?

On the FK: D3V tested 62 HRC, .188” thick at ricasso. 0.015" before sharpening, 15 DPS.

Couldn't tell you the others.

Congrats on a successful deer hunt. Man you've got to get a camera out there with you on some of these trips!! :)

I have some pics, but none of me doing anything with the knife. Just of the deer we got, but they're on my cell and I have no clue how to upload them.

If you decide you want to post some, photobucket has an app that's easy to install on your cell. I think imgur has one now as well. Not hard, just a matter of making the account. I can give you some help if you ever want to do that, or there are a lot of tech support threads on it. My post was purely selfish, though, I like seeing the pictures :)

You can always use Tapatalk, that is what I do. It automatically uploads the pics from your cell phone, all you have to do is attach them to your message. That is in fact the only reason I have Tapatalk.

You can always use Tapatalk, that is what I do. It automatically uploads the pics from your cell phone, all you have to do is attach them to your message. That is in fact the only reason I have Tapatalk.

This I did not know. Thank you Justin.

Me neither, thanks. I may do that today if I get a chance. I think you guys would like to see the buck we got.

Absolutely!

I'd like to hear what you thought about the resharpening, too. I've got an opinion on it, but I'd like to hear what you thought when you had to touch it up and what you used to do it.

Thanks fellas. I'm guessing we're going to see some pictures of a bigger animal if rodriguez7 figures the picture thing out. This was a very slick and healthy buck though, and it was an incidental chance that happened while taking out a young hunter for his first buck, so I was glad to take him. We found a young forkedhorn bedded down, and my friend's son took it. This buck was with it, but we hadn't found it in the thicker sage. If there's one blade of grass on the hill, I think they could find a way to hide behind it.

Back