Field test of a favorite khuk--GOOD news!

I decided to really put my 15" Chiruwa AK (by Murali) to some hard tests. I had chopped quite a bit of stuff with it but never pushed it very far. I guess I wanted to know if I could really depend on this khuk if I had to to survive as this is one of 2 that I take while on solo photo trips into the woods(when camping).

All of the below were FULL FORCE blows--or as much force while still keeping limbs attached;)

Started with dry blue spruce branches--the knottier and harder the better. No problems. Didn't even dull it.

Moved on to green oak. No problem--ate it right up. No noticable dulling.

Dry Oak. Much harder to chop. Found some really hard stuff out in the woods. Worried me a little after a few really hard hits just forward of the S.P.(sweet spot)and almost to the tip. No damage. Slight loss of sharpness, still almost shaves. Or to put it another way, if I shaved you with it at this point you would need to be tied down due to extreme abrasions:D;)

Dry Birch. This stuff seemed harder than the oak, but might have been older/drier. Same as above. Same degree of sharpness as above. Basically the khuk is now at "axe sharp" meaning that it is a chopping grade of sharpness IMO.

Honest impressions of handle shock. I noticed a little shock into my hand when holding towards buttcap and doing very hard swings. This was only noticable when I held the khuk as I normally DON'T do, just to experiment with hand position vs. strike force. Otherwise the vibration is not an issue. Like I've said before however, I would guess that with a larger heavier one used to fell trees and the like the Chiruwa handle might be an issue.

CONCLUSIONS: I would count on this khuk to do whatever I needed doing. However, I neglected to smack the blade sideways on hard stumps to test tang etc..and will do this later and let you now along with bend tests.

BTW,
I WILL be posting pics of this one and others very soon because I finally bought a Macro lens--- "for work" of course;):D

Thanks for good report from the field. This one is a welcome change from the KCS reviews.

My Chiruwa AK (16.5") is a monster. I've been using it for falling, brushing and limbing work every weekend since I got it. As far as handle shock, it's more noticeable than what I get from my 18" AK, but my Chiruwa also outperforms my 18" AK by a measurable margin.

I have managed to build up a heavy duty set of calluses that perfectly match the high spots on that handle so I don't feel much recoil anymore.

I've pushed that khuk way harder than any of my others and it just keeps asking for more. I wouldn't be afraid to take it anywhere, it's one heckuva tough tool.

It's too bad I can't convince my employer to order these as standard issue equipment.;)

Back