Field test of Bura Malla

I got a Malla by Bura a little while back and decided that I needed to know if it was up to snuff.

So I took it out back and chopped alot of stuff. Started with old dried blue spruce(my yard used to be a xmas tree farm in case anyone is wondering why/how I always chop this stuff. Also chop it because it did in the Kobra that wasn't hard enough) branches--no problems and still very sharp.

Moved on to a fallen dry oak (same one I chopped on my 15"AK test awhile back). Hard to chop, but the Malla did a very nice job at only 23oz, it chops like a heavier knife. Still sharp and no troubles.

Dry birch (same as other test). Same deal, still sharp no problems.

I really like the way the Malla handles in actual chopping(it had only cut air up to this point). It really excells at limbing:) It sails through branches up to 1.5" (green)with no trouble. There is something about this blade (ok I say this alot;)), it has a compact, heavy duty feel to it, but moves fast and hits really hard. I especially like the aggressive forward angle of the blade and its pointy/sharp profile---looks mean as a snake. I think this would be a deadly weapon-khukuri if need be.

BTW, I'm not posting these positive reviews to counteract the trouble Uncle's been facing with softer-than-normal blades as of late. I am however testing khuks that I haven't before simply because of all the talk about performance in actual chopping tests. Once I wonder "hmmm, how tough IS that one?" I'm doomed and have to find out:D

Although those experienced in MA have declared other styles to be the more proficient weapons, the Malla was the most expressive of weaponry of any Khukuri I've owned. This is the sensed purpose of this blade the first time you hold it. Coming from an era when the Malla kings were "solidifying their political base" (ie: chopping up the opposition) it is not surprising that Khukuris in that time might have seen more development in that direction. It makes me wonder about other blade styles from other eras, which might have been lost to evolution, and are buried under a floor or in a wall somewhere in Nepal.

It makes me wonder about other blade styles from other eras, which might have been lost to evolution, and are buried under a floor or in a wall somewhere in Nepal.

Good point:( Yeah, I agree with you about the "weapon" feel it has. I think that was my first impression in my first impressions review when I got it awhile back. Plus, it just LOOKS mean:D That aggressive forward angle and sharp point seem to say "mind your manners, or I could wind up in your brain or heart before you know what hit you":eek:

The cho question keeps buzzing around. I remember the old master kami who visited the shop - you wrote that he said "Make the cho like this, so people will know I had something to do with this knife". I only recently noticed something aboutthe "Crazy Cho" that Bura made. The top of the edge bevel arcs back, and that ridge runs directly to the center of the "pistel" (or whatever) in the cho, exactly, and on both sides. Putting lots of little bits and pieces together, the cho may be many things at once - signature, declaration of power/strength, tribal symbols signifying......who knows.

The 30'Sirupati shown on the shopping site has a Malla-style cho,and I would imagine it was intended as a weapon first.Perhaps that suposed reason for the cho's presence being that of a blade catcher has a grain or two of truth to it.Do other Malla style blades have such a cho?

WoodOwl

Something possibly representing the nether-regions of a god intercepts an opponent's blade, thus protecting one from harm?

"God-like" takes on a somewhat new meaning.:rolleyes:

Back