Fighting folders-do you worry about cutting your own hand?

I was looking into one of the Cold Steel Voyager folders, the 5" blade. However, I am concerned that in a defensive situation if I hit something hard, my hand could slide forward onto the blade. I have an AFCK that has a grove that would minimize this. Fixed knives have hilts.

Are these reasonable concerns? Many of the "fighting folders" I see seem to offer little protection in this area.

Dave

It's true that some knives have better designed handles than others.

A lot depends not only on the presence of a choil or guardlike shape, but also on your technique, your hand strength and grip style, how much you have practiced striking solid objects, the "grip" provided by the handle material and texture, and whether or not you get a lot of sweat, water, or blood on the handle of the knife during the altercation.

There may be a couple more variables as well, including being injured during the fray and losing some grip strength or concentration...

Plan early, choose your knife wisely, and PRACTICE ON HARD OR AT LEAST SEMI-HARD TARGETS. This is also a good way to check inadvertant lock disengagement and perhaps, lock strength (to at least some degree).

BTW, I have a CS Gunsite II (4") and an XL Voyager (5"). I do like them both, and the Gunsite was my EDC for awhile. The XL is my "biking" knife due to it's serious size (for any dog attacks) and strong tendency for the blade to stay in the closed position (in case I get hit on my bicycle I don't want that thing opening!!). I would rate both these knives as around a "6" on a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best). Not great, but not too bad, either. Yes, I'd like a bit of a lip under the pivot area, but the gripability ain't bad for FRN.

My most recent EDCs are the Griptilian and the Mini Commander. Both offer excellent holds--around "8" or "9," IMO. (A "10" would be something extremely solid like a good push dagger or the La Griffe or Bear Claw--which literally become part of your hand structure.)

Simply waving a knife around in patterns in the air is not representative of the reality of actual employment against flesh and blood targets.

And no, I'm not an "expert," and YMMV, etc.

Karl

Some sort of "guard" is usually better. However, as others have stated, there are lots of other variables as well. And, while ideally I want the perfect knife for the job, my knife ain't coming out against another person unless I feel my life to be in danger. In that case I don't much care if something might get hurt with the blade. I'd rather risk sliding up and getting cut than get dead. Hell, I'd rather that bad boy sever my entire finger off than I die. Not that any of the said results are preferable,but my knives are sharp enough that a good microsurgeon can probably reattach it, lol.

Na I figure the odds pretty darn high against me getting into a knife fight or using a knife "defensively".

My "fighting-folder" is my REKAT Sifu with a full set of fingergrooves, so my hand doesn't move when this monster is in my hand.:).

Back