Fighting Rooster Pocket Knife???

I saw a pocket knife the other day that looked kinda cool. My experience with knives has mainly been combat folders. No clue when it comes to standard pocket knives. So my question is are they any good? What would they be equivalent to in terms for fit/finish and over-all qulaity (Buck, Scharde, Case ect....)

Thanks for your time

Hi,

They are a popular German brand along the line of Bulldog brand, Hen and Rooster, Case.
Their plain carbon steel so you have to keep them oiled. Also, many of their models have celluloid (shiney wild looking plastic like stuff) which has been known to shrink. If you want a nice traditionial style folder in the same price range, check out Eye Brand.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Bob:
I am looking for a small pocket knife of good quality. I like some of those celloid handles. So out of those brands that make those handles which is the best (Hen Rooster, Bulldog, or Fight'n Rooster) your impute is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

The Fighting Rooster, and Bulldog Knives are going to be very close, as they are made in the same factory (Olbertz) under contract. The Hen and Rooster's are produced by Robert klass (kissing crane). The FR's and Bulldog's are probably the prettier knives, but Hen and Rooster seem to have a better fit/finish. The Bulldog's/Hen and Rooster's I've handled either had very strong springs or they were a bit on the weak side.

Hope this helps!

Do not forget to check out the Henckels line of traditional folders- the selection is not very deep, but they are mostly first-rate!

My personal experience with the ones that I have are that the Bulldogs are good and a good value, but they are inconsistent in fit and finish. The Fighting Rooster and Hen and Rooster are much better quality and more expensive. My personal favorite has been the Schatt and Morgan line from Queen Cutlery- best consistency in fit and finish. The Henckels are also some that I have not been disappointed.

All of these are better than Case or Schrade and many times they are cheaper. Go to a store and handle them all and see which ones that you prefer.

Daniel

I checked out Henckels, very nice. I also looked at Puma, anybody handled one of these? I guess I should clarify what I am looking for. I have no clue when it comes to pocket knives. So here goes:

I would like a very good quality Stockman or Whittler. I would prefer that it has carbon steel blades, damascus even better (I like how they look when they age:) ) I would perfer to get away from bone or antler handles not because I don't like them, I just want something different. I have read some disturbing things about "shrinkage" on celloid handles. How does this happen and could it be avoided?
Also what about Boker???
So throw some suggestions, I apprecaite your advise:D

Hi,

If you have your heart set on celluloid handles, stay away from the lighter colors (fuax pearl, ivory, Etc...). For a good traditional folder check out the knives made by Queen (Schatt&Morgan, Winchester, Older Case classics, Marble's). In German brands check out Eye Brand, Robert Klaas (Henkcels,Kissing Crane), And older Puma's (Green/Yellow Box). The new Puma's are just ok, compared to the older ones. Also, store celluloid knives in the open, to prevent breakdown, and keep away from heat( Big Problems! :D ). A good web site to check out is www.omgknives.com , or eBay.

Hope this helps,

Hi,

I've thought about this for a while, and here is my list of best traditional folder's.
U.S.
1) Bob Cargill/Cripple Creek
2) The brands made by Queen
3) Schrade, or Camillus*
4) Case

German

1) Older Puma knives
2) Boker
3) Eye Brand
4) Robert Klaas, or their contract bands
5) Bulldog, or Fighting Rooster

* Schrade, and Camillus usually have stronger springs, better fit then Case, which makes me rate them higher. Case knives are either very good, or barely ok in this department.

Most of the knives listed are in the $30-100 dollar range (except the Puma), and are available on the resale, or current market.

The only production Damascus traditional folders I know of are Boker :D , and Parker, Bear MGC:rolleyes: .

Hope this helps,

Ok, I think I'll go with Schatt and Morgan line. Overall, everybody seems to like them. So now my question is where do you find them??

Thanks

Bob,
Well I looked up the Schatt and Morgan knives (VERY NICE)however, they seem to be made out of stainless steel. I really want carbon steel. So now I am looking at Eye Brand and Kissing Crane. Both look really good in the pictures. I am looking at either brand in either Stockman or Whittler.
Both come with red handles that I like and if I understand right, both are carbon steel. So in your opinion which one makes a better knife?

Thanks again 4 the help
:)

Centurian -

Between Eye Brand and Robt Klaas/Kissing Crane, I have stockman knives from both. Eye Brand has two common sizes in carbon steel, 3.5" and 4.25" closed; the Kissing Crane is the standard size of just shy of 4" closed. The Eye Brand is built a little heavier, while the Kissing Crane seems to hold an edge a little better (in my use of mixed cardboard, string, wood, etc). You can't go wrong with either, they are some of my favorites. The Eye Brand is easily obtainable with stag, yellow composition, and bone, with red or black composition also sometimes available. Lately I have only seen the Kissing Crane in yellow, red, or black composition. In the past it has been available in stag or jigged horn.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the patience of me asking multiple questions. I think I'll go with the Eye Brand Whittler. I really like the looks of the Schatt & Morgan, and Queen knives (something to buy in the future;) )

I figured that since I normally carry combat style folders such as Sifu's, Striders and Civilans I should add a pocket knife to the collection. It's a little more sheeple friendly when opening boxes:D
But I want a very good quality pocket knife.

Also, since I am on the subject. Pop's always swore by Case Knives. People say the brands I am looking at are much better quality than Case. Has this always been so, or is Case just living off it's reputation?

Thanks again

Hi,

The Case knives most people swear by were made from the 1960's, and earlier. After that they targeted collectors and quality began to slip. The company changed hands a few times also. They are now trying to improve, and are getting better.

The other reason people collect them is te shear number of patterns they prduced, and the number of different materials they used.

Hope this helps:D !

Back