Fillet Knife Sheath Question

I am working on a fillet knife for a friend. I was curious about the sheath. It will be made out of leather. Should I leave an opening at the tip to help the water drain out?

Thanks

Patrice

I have seen many do this for even bushcrafting knives. A good search shows that the plastic sheaths include a drain hole while the leather ones don't mention it.

I have seen a person put a small brass rod into the sheath while forming it (at the very tip) to make a drain hole. I think this makes sense.

TF

IMHO I think you might need one with a bushcraft knife because you maybe in the woods when a downpour comes along. But with a filet knife don't you usually clean well before you put it back into the sheath, I know I do. So to me unless you are going to be exposed to the elements while wearing it, it probably does not need a drain hole. But I have been wrong before. Bottom line is if you want one then put one in. Either way will work.

A knife that is immersed in water will not rust as quickly as one that is wet and exposed to the air. I find that most drain holes were actually welts that did not fit properly and were excused by calling them "drain holes" lol

The brass rod tip is a good one TF but now that you guys mention it, my friend is the kind of person to take care of his tools so I don't see him putting the knife soaking wet or dirty in there.

Thanks

Patrice

A knife that is immersed in water will not rust as quickly as one that is wet and exposed to the air. I find that most drain holes were actually welts that did not fit properly and were excused by calling them "drain holes" lol

Say, your a smart feller! ;)

for a greenhorn. :p

Greenhorn? Please be more specific, Dwayne, like in Forest green, green with envy or maybe just the sickly type? Haha Best to you, my friend!!

Back