Fillet knife steel

Have a request to make a fillet knife, which I have not done before. Any suggestions on steel thickness to purchase. I plan on using ATS34. Also, hollow, or do I need to flat grind this knife?

do a full flat grind, with a distal taper, so it is thinner and will flex a little better.

depends on the length. I have started with 1/16" and then made it thin. You need worry less about warpage etc because though thin it should be relatively uniform. More knowledgable folks may correct me. I'd solicit recomendations for hardness since the need for flex is high.

Have fun

Lynn

I just completed two for a customer.He wanted a knife for larger ocean fish and requested a heavier and longer blade.I used 440C , 1/8" thick with a 9.5" blade and a long distal taper.I also had the blade cryo'd.The blade was flat ground.Dave

standard.jpg

No Peter, it is Cocobolo.Great piece .I got a batch from Grizzly a while back.Took me months to get it from them but the wood still amazes me everytime I grind some.That's why I like using woods.Mother nature is an awesome artist.Dave:)

I say 1/16" ats-34. I like to profile and drill the holes and send it to Paul Bos for heat-treating which always includes Cryogentic. When it comes back I grind the taper and the bevels. One good thing about ats 34 is it is tempered at 975 degrees so it is difficult to overheat when grinding the bevels. Use sharp belts, keep the water bucket handy and take your time. Flat or convex.

That fillet knife; I like. Thanks for sharing the wood type and source with us.

RL

Back