Fillet knives?

The only fillet knife I own is a Schrade USA folder with a walnut handle. Real nice, but expensive back in the day. I never use fillet knives since I mostly toss my fish back. Buying one today, I'd get the Rapala and keep it sharp.

IMG_0498%202.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

TIP OF THE DAY, RIP PVC PIPE TO MAKE EAVES FOR YOUR CLEANING TABLE, then you can hose it off and drain it out into the lake, etc...

i like this idea. :thumbup:

i've had the same fillet knife for about 25 years. i can't even remember the brand. i am trying to read the sheath. it may say, "MADE IN FINLAND", which i guess would mean it's an old rapala. I will have to check when i get home. i just happen to have a pic of it from two years ago for an "oldest knife" thread. i surprised myself, realizing that this is probably the knife i've had the longest. i don't fillet a lot of fish, and it has been sitting in my box for quite a while. you can see that it is starting to spot. i'll have to clean it up for the spring.

as someone has said, i hang out with a catch-and-release crowd. but, i am going to make a point of keeping and eating a few trout this year.

i like this thread, thanks.

fillet%20001_zps7igshrgr.jpg

EDIT: a-ha! see, i thought it was an old Gerber. i even edited my original post from Gerber to Rapala, because i thought the sheath said Made In Finland. Well, i looked up that old thread, and both are true. this is actually a Made in Finland Gerber fillet knife. if i had to guess, i would say it is from the late 80's.

Last edited:
and another thing! i actually just recently got a Buck Boone and Crockett boning knife. i purchased it for use on "hanging meat" and filleting. really looking forward to trying this one out for its intended purpose.

024_zpsdluiz4gz.jpg~original

003_zpsjmeardgs.jpg

In my youth I used to work on charter boats (saltwater), the only fillet knives commonly used are Dexter Russell knives. They are fairly cheap, and can cut a ton of fish. My primary hobby is saltwater fishing (in CT) and I keep a small pile of Dexters to cut fish. In the salt water world there is often a big fillet table at the marina, in my case you drag the cooler from the boat to the table, work on the fish to convert them to fillets with part of your boat crew - I typically but sharpening stone on the table and touch up edges as we work through the different species. (Bass, bluefish, fluke, scup, sea bass are typical fish for CT waters and are often all in the cooler together). Typically there 4 knives in rotation.

I also keep a USN Catcherman (Spyderco) in my tackle bag and have cut a ton of fish with it - is it better than a Dexter? Not really but it has great ergos.

For Christmas I picked up Bark Rivers to "play with" this season - will they cut better than a Dexter? Not sure but I will see.

Dexters - the old time charter guys like the carbon steel versions with wood handles and I still have one that is 20 years old - but I keep it home to use for the kitchen. You can get an incredible edge on it. My joke is that "I can cut up a whale with this knife." Most of the "fleet" has changed over to sami-safe versions that are common in commercial kitchens. Plastic handle, stainless blade and overall a wonderful knife for under $30.

I plan to put the Bark Rivers through the paces this fishing season. It will be fun but will just satisfy my quest to play with knives and different steels, and I like different choices in handles. At the end of the day, if you want a great fillet knife get a Dexter and you will love it. I have Rapala fillet knifes as well but the Dexters are better.

Saltwater fishing is a bit different than freshwater and you can spend a few hours behind a knife cutting fish at the end of a trip so you can get a deep appreciation for fillet knives.

Jack

Nothing can beat Rapalas for the money IMHO... just solid flexible blades that do what they're supposed to. I've also had good luck with buck and kershaw. All good values. This is my new one... haven't used it yet but seems to be very nice quality...
View attachment 614206

In my youth I used to work on charter boats (saltwater), the only fillet knives commonly used are Dexter Russell knives. They are fairly cheap, and can cut a ton of fish. My primary hobby is saltwater fishing (in CT) and I keep a small pile of Dexters to cut fish. In the salt water world there is often a big fillet table at the marina, in my case you drag the cooler from the boat to the table, work on the fish to convert them to fillets with part of your boat crew - I typically but sharpening stone on the table and touch up edges as we work through the different species. (Bass, bluefish, fluke, scup, sea bass are typical fish for CT waters and are often all in the cooler together). Typically there 4 knives in rotation.

I also keep a USN Catcherman (Spyderco) in my tackle bag and have cut a ton of fish with it - is it better than a Dexter? Not really but it has great ergos.

For Christmas I picked up Bark Rivers to "play with" this season - will they cut better than a Dexter? Not sure but I will see.

Dexters - the old time charter guys like the carbon steel versions with wood handles and I still have one that is 20 years old - but I keep it home to use for the kitchen. You can get an incredible edge on it. My joke is that "I can cut up a whale with this knife." Most of the "fleet" has changed over to sami-safe versions that are common in commercial kitchens. Plastic handle, stainless blade and overall a wonderful knife for under $30.

I plan to put the Bark Rivers through the paces this fishing season. It will be fun but will just satisfy my quest to play with knives and different steels, and I like different choices in handles. At the end of the day, if you want a great fillet knife get a Dexter and you will love it. I have Rapala fillet knifes as well but the Dexters are better.

Saltwater fishing is a bit different than freshwater and you can spend a few hours behind a knife cutting fish at the end of a trip so you can get a deep appreciation for fillet knives.

Jack

i grew up on the northshore marshes of Massachusetts, just south of Newburyport, MA. i always wanted to work on a charter boat when i was in high school. but instead, i ended up dishing in a seafood restaurant off the docks. not quite as glamorous. :)

and yeah, most of the charters i have been on or seen, the mates are using those white-handled fillet knives...perhaps the dexter russells. cool post.

Yeah just about every deckhand I've had fillet my catch used a Dexter. If I ran a boat I'd use them.

The pass 2 years ive been using a Bark River Kalahari Sportsman. Great knife! I sharpened it in the Work sharp to 17 degrees on each side then just strop it after a fish or two. The S35VN holds a great edge. Only down side not as much flex as I would hope! Mostly using it on bass, pike and walleye.

And before the Kalahari I used a good ole Rapala fillet knife!!! Probably the best filleting knife for the money around!
Now im wondering if they temper these super steels to a lower hardness to get more flexibility.

I fish saltwater and my son works on a long range sport fisher. Over all the years I have never seen anyone use anything but a commercial kitchen knife. Forschner (I think victorinox bought them), Dexter russel. The common thread among them is thin blade and easy to sharpen. These knives get used and abused, and most importantly they get dropped overboard. So investing in a high quality knife does not make sense. A quick run on the steel and theses knives can keep going and going. I have been very tempted to get a high quality filet knife, but just can justify it. I have seen some really nice ones from White river knives and the one from Cody Hof looks really nice to.

There is a new knife out here designed for the saltwater fishermen, called the Bubba Blade. It looks like a step up from the commercial kitchen knives, but not as much as a high end knife or a custom. Price point is around $50-$60. It looks pretty promising. I have not tried one, but they have all of the different blade shapes that you would need.

A friend I fish with has a bubba and I have used it, the Dexter was better. It was a larger model and a bit "clunky" in my opinion. Smaller blade may be better.

Jack

Schrade USA made 167. Razor sharp edge, super tough steel and good enough flexibility. Been using them since the early 80's when they first came out. Stocked up on a few in 2004 for obvious reasons.

I also use a 147 model with the no slip handle grips for salt water. It's the largest filet knife Schrade USA made at 13.5 inches total.

Oh yeah. Either one is great for carving a turkey at Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Edit: I hear "deal spots" are a no-no around here, so post edited.

Last edited:
I usually recommend Russel Grohman Fillet knives, better edge retention than most Rapalas on the market, very nice knives available in 5",6",7" & 8" blades, a little costly but honestly worth every penny. only drawback is wooden handles aren't the best for grip when wet but other than that the quality is all there.

Around the midwest.. read Mississippi River.... A lot of folks like/use Rapala Fillet Knives. I'm refurbishing one now for my brother; think he's had it for a very long time. Pictures/Thread are in main knife area if you're interested in my progress?!

I usually recommend Russel Grohman Fillet knives, better edge retention than most Rapalas on the market, very nice knives available in 5",6",7" & 8" blades, a little costly but honestly worth every penny. only drawback is wooden handles aren't the best for grip when wet but other than that the quality is all there.

I have the 8in Grohman and its a good one, nice and flexible and comes with a good cordura sheath(with insert and belt loop) with a velcro flap over the handle
If you take some epoxy and fill the cracks of the handle at the blade you won't get any gunk/bacteria.

I also have the cutco and its a suprisingly good one as well, my friend and I have filleted at least 200 salmon with it. It does need a touch of the steel but thats not that big a deal at home.

My tastes tend to functional vice pricey and looks can be there for a fair price. The best quality knife over the counter for me has been the Finor made for Rapala from Finland. There are a few different lengths of blade for different sizes of fish. An old Western 9" filet knife is in my arsenal, but good luck getting one of those since they are out of business. For me these knives are all business and I catch enough to keep them busy, but occasionally have a fish needing a 12" blade or longer so my the search is not over.

I grew up using the J Marttiini made Rapala fillet knives that my grandfather, an outdoor writer, had tons of. I still have several of those in different sizes and use them occasionally. When kayak or pack fishing I typically use a Spyderco Catcherman. I also use a Spyderco MBS-26 fixed fillet knife, Opinel Slim, a Bark River Canadian Sportsman and my favorite which is a Big Chris custom CPM S90V fillet knife.

Here is the Bark River Canadian Sportsman
BRKTCanadianSportsman1_zps24f64953.jpg

The bottom knife in this photo is the Big Chris S90V Fillet knife.
BigChrisgroup_zps3e22c881.jpg

Back