Finally, A Spyderco I Can Live With....I Hope.

Over the past few years, I've been searching for another Spyderco folder. I've owned a few in the past but have always moved on to something else. Just have not been able to find the perfect Spyderco for me.

I had high hopes for the Manix series but, the ergonomics just did not work. The Tenacious line, well, let's just say I'd like something nicer. The Delica and Endura are thin (a big plus) but, I prefer G-10 scales. Whats a guy supposed to do?

The logical route is for me to buy a PM2. I love the handle's ergos but the blade's straight spine and overall height ruin the knife for me. The Para 3 was considered but suffers from the same problems, of course.

Well, I think my problem has been solved. The D'Allara 3 looks right. Because the D'Allara offers the BBL lock, it should pair well with the Axis lock of my Benchmades.

The D'Allara's G-10 scales are thin so the knife should carry well. Blade length is about 3 1/2 inches which will work for my needs. Enough of the blade is exposed for me to grab the blade with gloves on. Plus, the blade appears to have a lower spine profile compared to the PM2. I like that. The blade tip looks strong, too.

On paper, the knife looks just about perfect. With the exception of the pocket clip, there's not much I can find to complain about.

Can anyone give me any feedback on this knife?

If the ball bearing lock is anything like the Caged ball bearing lock on the Manix, I don't see how it compares to the Axis. I always needed to grip both sides of the CBBL to work it.

I had a Q-ball, and had some serious difficulty releasing the lock. It was recessed too far in for my fat fingers to get into. Loved the knife, but closing it was painful. Now the Polliwog that I had worked great for me. I wish that I had not sold it. I have considered getting a D' Allara, and modifying the G-10 part of the scale to allow better access to the ball, but would hate to mess up a great knife and make it worthless. Just my experience - you may not have any issue. Good luck with your hunt!
I just checked out a video on an internet retailer's site, and even the knife handler had difficulty pulling the ball back.

Last edited:
If the ball bearing lock is anything like the Caged ball bearing lock on the Manix, I don't see how it compares to the Axis. I always needed to grip both sides of the CBBL to work it.
I grip both sides of the Axis, so I don't see that as a problem. However, I have heard that the BBL is harder to use than an Axis Lock.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

The ball bearing lock on the Manix2 is a great design. The one on the D'allara looks very similar. Which is a very good thing. Looks to be stronger and overall superior to the axis lock since there are no delicate omega springs to break. And isn't that the main reason the omegas break , because people just use one side of the axis lock?

Be sure to post pics when it arrives. Enjoy :thumbsup:

I have 9 benchmade knives, all axis locks. I can easily use the lock with my thumb alone. I can't do that with any of my BBL locks. So the BBL is stiffer than the axis. Not an issue with me, I just use my thumb and pointer when closing a BBL.

Over the past few years, I've been searching for another Spyderco folder. I've owned a few in the past but have always moved on to something else. Just have not been able to find the perfect Spyderco for me.

I had high hopes for the Manix series but, the ergonomics just did not work. The Tenacious line, well, let's just say I'd like something nicer. The Delica and Endura are thin (a big plus) but, I prefer G-10 scales. Whats a guy supposed to do?

The logical route is for me to buy a PM2. I love the handle's ergos but the blade's straight spine and overall height ruin the knife for me. The Para 3 was considered but suffers from the same problems, of course.

Well, I think my problem has been solved. The D'Allara 3 looks right. Because the D'Allara offers the BBL lock, it should pair well with the Axis lock of my Benchmades.

The D'Allara's G-10 scales are thin so the knife should carry well. Blade length is about 3 1/2 inches which will work for my needs. Enough of the blade is exposed for me to grab the blade with gloves on. Plus, the blade appears to have a lower spine profile compared to the PM2. I like that. The blade tip looks strong, too.

On paper, the knife looks just about perfect. With the exception of the pocket clip, there's not much I can find to complain about.

Can anyone give me any feedback on this knife?

The Endura comes in a g10 version if yoy like that knife. I highly recommend you check out the Shaman too which is sort of like the Manix but has a compression lock and more neutral ergonomics.

The big issue with the D’Allara is as others have said, accessing the lockball to pull it back. Definitely not a knife that would be fun flicking open and closed.

The Endura comes in a g10 version if yoy like that knife. I highly recommend you check out the Shaman too which is sort of like the Manix but has a compression lock and more neutral ergonomics.

The big issue with the D’Allara is as others have said, accessing the lockball to pull it back. Definitely not a knife that would be fun flicking open and closed.

You can also go aftermarket for g10 scales. I have a set from @BOOMER52 that I'm really fond of.

IMG_20180317_152709_713.jpg

I thought the ergos on the Endura were good, but these are in a whole different league. Like a slim, solid Military in a much more pocket friendly package.

I’m just curious why you discount the pm2, seems like the Dallara is equally wide of not a bit wider? I’ve only seen pictures so I could be completely off base. I was hesitant about the pm2 myself until I finally tried one and now love them.

I’m just curious why you discount the pm2, seems like the Dallara is equally wide of not a bit wider? I’ve only seen pictures so I could be completely off base. I was hesitant about the pm2 myself until I finally tried one and now love them.
The PM2 is an excellent knife and I have considered it, along with the Para 3.

The idea to use the Para 3 was dropped for two reasons. First, the ergonomics were close but, not spot on for my hand. Second, I wanted a slightly longer blade. I had high hopes for the Para 3 until I handled one at the local brick and mortar.

The PM2 has been dismissed for one reason only. I dislike the blade. Sal designed a top-shelf product with the PM2 and I consider the handle a work of art, but, IMO, the blade looks like an afterthought. Design a sexy handle and then mate it with a blade that has a straight spine? It's almost like the blade was done by someone else.

I am not sure if the D'Allara will even work for me. No dealer in the area has it in stock for me to play with. It's just something I am considering.

I take it you're no fan of the Endura or Delica either then. To each their own :)

Nope. Not really. I lean more towards knives that are more neutral in their handle ergonomics. Benchmade's 531 or Bugout, for example.

I admit I do have a liking for the Wharncliffe Delica, though. I wonder if Nick Shabazz has reviewed the Wharncliffe?

Have you looked at the Stretch 2?

Kinda what I was thinking. If you don’t like the blade shape of a pm2, then a stretch might be the ticket. I’ve not handled a d’allera, but I’ve heard the ball bearing is hard to grasp to unlock.

Kinda what I was thinking. If you don’t like the blade shape of a pm2, then a stretch might be the ticket. I’ve not handled a d’allera, but I’ve heard the ball bearing is hard to grasp to unlock.

Just looked at the Stretch. It appears to only come in FRN. Looking for something in G10.

So, what can you tell me about ZDP 189?

I personally don’t have any experience with it, but a lot of people seem to speak quite highly of it.

It’s an extremely high carbon steel, around 3%, and is usually run very hard. Since there’s so much carbon, some of the chromium is taken up by carbide formation, so it’s not as stainless as s30v, to compare it to the d’allara. Unless you’re planning on using it on the beach, I don’t think either one would rust on you, but I don’t have experience with zdp189 to know for certain.

Here is a cut test:

I don't know what they specifications are but I find myself reaching for my Sage 1 over my PM 2 MOST DAYS .

S30V G10 CARBON great ergos. I like it!

Back