Finishing micarta?

I decided to try something new on this knife handle and made a batch of homemade micarta. I used Bondo resin and blue/black deinm for the layers. Now for the question- How do I finish it?! Currently I have it sanded up to 800 but I really can't tell the diffenrce besides for feel. I'm totally lost here and would welcome any guidance. I added a few pics of it.

Thanks

Looks to me like it is finished, but you can go to finer grits of hand sanding and or even before go to buffing. Frank

is bondo resin clear? clear polished resin is what gives micarta a shiny look

I normally sand to a higher grit, something like 1000 to 1200. While sanding, I use Mobile 1, but have also used Windex. I just seem to get a better finish that way.

Bondo does not dry clear. It has an amber color to it so you may not get all you could out of the denim, but it's looking pretty good so far.

thbkas for the replies guys. I found a site that said to use thin coats of superglue or another CA. I've got one coat on so far and it's looking much better.

For a dull but even look, I sand to 320 grit and leave it. For shine, I sand to 600 then buff with green rouge. I don't like to put oil or any kind of sealant on my micarta.

- Chris

You might want to try sanding to 400 or 600, then flood with Teak Oil. Let it soak a few minutes, then put a little more on. Give it about 30 minutes, then wipe the excess off.

This helps fill those "dull" looking fibers in Micarta, and after about 24 hours, you can buff it with a piece of canvas, or blue-jean material for a pretty neat looking finish.

Robert

I use white candle wax on a clean buffing wheel. Evens out the tone and gives it a not too shiny, smooth finish.

For what it is, I think it looks great!

I just did one with homemade micarta (hillbilly micarta around my neck of the woods - same bondo resin you used too). I sprayed on a coat of clear lacquer to fill in the pores, then sanded back with 800 grit. I'm happy with how it turned out.

I found that jean denim was a bear to sand, but cotton t-shirt material worked like a champ. I'm going to try something in between those (in thickness) for the next one.

Back