Finn Wolf arrived. Mini review/overview and comparison.

Got one of these in the mail today:).
2uqi346.jpg

2vvl7at.jpg

Feels great in the hand. Very light.
2m48whz.jpg

The grind is actually hollow to a zero edge (how they pulled that one off is beyond me).
This is one of the sharpest knives out of the box that I've recieved.
2zoiwja.jpg

Did a comparison of how it bites into wood.

The Wolf goes through with a rough almost jaggedy feel. when it stops, it stops, harder to push through.
It digs in straight at the angle you put it in.
2iabm14.jpg

Next is a Mora with a true scandi.
It feels smoother and tends to try and pop upwards out of the wood.
jsim1k.jpg

This here is a homemade knife with a very shallow convex.
Bites in very smooth and deep. Tends to also roll upwards as if trying to escape out of the wood but not so much as the Mora.
vniiqx.jpg

In conclusion, the Finn Wolf feels like a better wood working knife than the Mora. Only time playing with it will tell. My only concern is how the heck am I going to sharpen this thing. I will strop it often. Probably end up being a traditional Cold Steel hollow grind with a V edge after it dulls too much.

Nice review, thanks for sharing. I was wondering how you are going to sharpen it too. I wonder if you just sharpen it like a traditional Scandi if it will work for a little while.

Thanks for sharing, had my eye on one of these. Where did you score this one? I haven't seen them available anywhere online.

It may sharpen well by treating it like a Scandi: lay the blade on a flat stone, so that the cutting edge & shoulder at the top of the hollow grind touch the stone. Sharpen. The hollow will gradually disappear, at which time you could grind a new hollow. It will sharpen much quicker & easier than a typical scandi grind, as less metal needs to be ground away.

ddran, what's the handle color like? On my screen it appears more of a grayish "foliage" green than olive. Does it look that way in the flesh?

ddran, what's the handle color like? On my screen it appears more of a grayish "foliage" green than olive. Does it look that way in the flesh?

Yea, I'd say it looks more grey at first glance. You gotta look at it for a while to notice green. At least right now under incandescent light in my room.

Back