First Chopper Knife

I will have to say a ratweiler. I no longer have the first one I got, now I have an infi ratweiler instead and passed to the original on to a friend.

My first really big chopper is a 1311, but that may be considered a machete at that point as it's basically a golok, and not too different in use than the condor golok I had before it was stolen. I really like the condor too and would still have it if it wasn't gone. I still have and use the 1311, though a little less right now as I've been trying out a BK9 and kuhkri mostly this summer instead. Fall is really when the biguns get their use, clearing up the growth from the summer when the temps are more comfortable to do so, and in prep for winter hiking on top of the swamps.

I seldom use my choppers other than machetes these days, so I have generally been resistive to buying something I believe will be really good over some of the less expensive options. That has been my evolution on the chopper subject. But I am drawn to them.

I was interested in where we started on the chopper path with this thread and where it has lead you.

I may need to take a closer look at Skrama's as they fit.

Last edited:
I was first inspired by big chopping knives and learning about them pulled me into this...affliction. for my first one i had to choose between an RTAKII, a 5160 ontario bushcraft woodsman, and a Junglas. They were all great options, but I found a deal on the junglas and I think it still holds a solid standard for what a chopper knife, a handle, and a sheath should be.

Machetes don't count.
:) Oh ...heck yeah , machetes gotta count if you're talking choppers ! ;)

At least "heavy " machetes that are designed to chop wood . I kinda started out with these type . Mostly Cold Steel kuks .

Also have used their Trail Master Bowie as a chopper , quite a bit . Works fine for an under 10" blade . Pretty easy to carry and versatile .

And long ago , I bought a very (for me) expensive Al Mar Pathfinder , that I promptly broke off at the hilt upon the first use . They replaced it , but I don't trust it now .

Skrama as well. Not much to add to what others have mentioned. It's my favorite delimbing tool.

Not necessarily my first but the one that still gets used the most, Siegle Hoodlum in ironwood. At least 10 yrs old and still an ass kicking beast.

The first big knife I "owned" that would have Crocodile Dundee's approval was a big Bowie I made for a friend. I only owned it a short while before relinquishing ownership. D2 Blade, Ebony scales, genuine false edge. Suitable for injun fighting or chopping down trees :)
Now "That's a Knife"
LaziE8S.png

Last edited:
I have yet to give the Condor Moonshiner knife a wack at chopping. I keep one of their other choppers (Kumunga-discontinued) in my pickup all the time. It is a cross between a machete and knife on thick 1075 stock. I kind of like it and use if occasionally for limbing mostly on trails as it carries easier than some of my other shorter choppers.

I tend to grab the parang type choppers if I want to wack on some wood.

For me it was the Gerber BMF followed close by Buck master 184 :) Still have both, both unused. I was a kid then and I couldn’t handle that heat getting caught outdoors with them lol.

The same here, you and I are probably from the same generation.

n2s

Another vote for the classic B9 (if you can locate one for sale) but try to find the now hardly available Cold Steel Kukri ATC. I had forgotten how damn sharp that thing was. Sweet blade that holds a nice edge!

I will have to say a ratweiler. I no longer have the first one I got, now I have an infi ratweiler instead and passed to the original on to a friend.

My first really big chopper is a 1311, but that may be considered a machete at that point as it's basically a golok, and not too different in use than the condor golok I had before it was stolen. I really like the condor too and would still have it if it wasn't gone. I still have and use the 1311, though a little less right now as I've been trying out a BK9 and kuhkri mostly this summer instead. Fall is really when the biguns get their use, clearing up the growth from the summer when the temps are more comfortable to do so, and in prep for winter hiking on top of the swamps.
I agree wholeheartedly with the Ratweiler. There is something about that grip that makes you wanna chop all day.
Like BE, I no longer have my original Ratweiler but I have one better than her. The Infiweiler. This beast is indestructible.

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly with the Ratweiler. There is something about that grip that makes you wanna chop all day.
Like BE, I know longer have my original Ratweiler but I have one better than her. The Infiweiler. This beast is indestructible.

Hood to see you getting her out! I like the accessory too.

Back