First day with the new spec 7/7

This could go in the 7/7 thread or Backyard Survivin' one I suppose but I'm pretty giddy about the knives that arrived today so I decided to start another. I also had a 4.1 arrive today, both factory 2nds. I like the 4.1 and look forward to getting to know it better but I pretty much knew I was going to like it before it even showed up. I love the old spec 4.1's and I really love the new 4.7's and it seemed like it would be a mix of both and that's pretty much exactly what it feels like.

Barring the Necker models the 7/7 is the only one of the Survive! lineup that I really didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling about. It looked skinny and weird to me, I don't know how to explain it better. It looked like a fighting knife I suppose, and even when I was in the infantry a knife was about the last thing I wanted in a fight. I know there are lots of different opinions about that but that's just mine. I'm too nice of a guy for anyone to want to stick with a knife anyways. And too modest. :rolleyes:

I spent the morning cutting up things that didn't really need to be cut just because I could and I liked using the 7/7. I chopped some limbs off an Amur maple that's going wild in the back yard and trimmed up a bunch of apricot branches I cut around the roof yesterday. They're just going to get burnt and didn't need trimmed but what the heck.

Later in the day I was getting hungry so I made a trip to the store to pick up some grub. My grill is kaput and I wanted to mess around with the 7/7 some more so I decided to see how the fire pit would substitute. My experience with cooking with a fire is limited to meals consisting of boiling noodles or cooking potatoes so it would be a bit of a culinary leap for me to do something else.

I brought home a couple long pieces of birch from Michigan last year to do some wood carving and have kept them drying in the garage but one of them had a big knotty piece on one end so I thought that would make a good chunk to get a fire going. The 7/7 would have batoned this piece just fine I imagine but that's a bit silly so the Boreal 21 stepped in and took out the knotty bit of wood.
5gIXm6F.jpg

It split down pretty quick with the 7/7 and I tried it out at some curls, it was pretty effortless getting however thick or thin curls I wanted.
DMDldPE.jpg

It didn't take long and the birch log was broken down into this.
DH2mw8k.jpg

I picked up a couple of these big firesteels last year and I hadn't used any of them yet, now I wish I remembered where I got them.
CE0X1P2.jpg

There aren't any sharp 90 degree edges on the knife and I was going to just use the edge but I thought I'd see if the choil would make fire happen and yup, no problem. Finally, a use for a choil, joy!
Ky348MT.jpg

I used the jimping area of the spine to throw more sparks just to see how it worked. I didn't need more fire at this point but if you can have more fire you might as well right? The birch bark was probably cheating, I wish it grew naturally around here.
aaBrmsl.jpg

Slowly tossed on the rest of the chunk of birch.
yCN9625.jpg

Then threw on a couple more logs to get some coals off of.
wYs0072.jpg

While the fire was burning I went in and cut up two pieces of corn (each cob was divided into thirds then cut in half lengthwise), some yellow potatoes, a pound of andouille, 4 links of chicken sausage, and added a pound of shrimp with a mixture of butter, minced garlic, and Old Bay. The length of the 7/7 blade made it easy to put the tip into the cutting board and rock the blade down. The resulting mess was put onto 5 squares of foil and folded up.
LVikw2L.jpg

I put 4 foil packs in the fridge and threw one on the coals for about 8 or 9 minutes on one side then maybe 5 on the other.
gWZH1Xi.jpg

It turned out amazing, reminded me of a seafood boil on the coast. I cracked a beer and sat fat and happy on the couch for a bit then remembered this 7/7 and the 4.1 were the first 3V knives with the Delta heat treatment I'd gotten from Survive! I hadn't cut any bricks or nails but I'd beaten, chopped, and sliced it through a lot of wood today. I suppose it can hold a bit of an edge.
FjMQL5b.jpg

I know there's a lot of animosity about the delivery time and portents of doom about S!K but I've never felt like I was risking anything with putting money towards one of their knives and for me today just absolutely reinforced that. Thank you Survive! crew!

So that's what that damn choil is for.
Nice work on the fire and that food looks delicious.

If I were to put a 90 degree sharp edge anywhere on the knife the choil is where I'd do it. :D

Its almost too bad the choil worked on the firesteel. I had my patented Bushcraft Deluxe Burn it With Fire starter ready; aka, a MAPP gas torch.

Thermite Thursdays exist for a reason and sadly I was pushing the limit. I don't believe in soap so my napalm options are limited. :cool:

I had the same thought about it being odd that the sharpest part of the spine being the choil...

I've held off the 7/7 band wagon. I may be caving in.

Nice pics Grog
I was curious where the balance point is on the new model as the 1st gen was just right.
How are you carrying that knife, on a pack or aftermarket loop/dangler or?
The 7/7 was my first venture on a pre order and it looks really nice, can't wait!

Nice pics Grog
I was curious where the balance point is on the new model as the 1st gen was just right.
How are you carrying that knife, on a pack or aftermarket loop/dangler or?
The 7/7 was my first venture on a pre order and it looks really nice, can't wait!

Doh, I meant to mention the balance point, it balances just in front of the forward screw in the handle.

I just carried it in the stock sheath yesterday and it was pretty comfortable but I'll be making a low riding leather sheath for it soon.

I am glad I ordered two 7/7's along with one 4.1. These will be my first S!K, can't wait! I use larger knives on the farm much more than smaller, so it will be nice to have a second 7/7. The 4.1 and 7/7 really work well together, I can imagine, both good sizes. Thanks for the good review on the 7/7. Great to see one in the wild!

1. It's ALWAYS a good idea to start a brand new thread about knives you love.

2. This is an example of a great thread with nice usage pics and thoughts on the knives.

3. You could cook for me anytime, wow! My wife's BFF lives in Louisiana and I've enjoyed a few crawfish boils.

4. What's the story with the rounded corners on the 7/7?!? Is that the "defect"?

5. All the talk about the finger choil being nothing more than a large firesteel notch is awesome!

6. I don't have plans to own a 7/7, but what's not to love about a larger GSO?!?

Thanks for the thread!

Silver, if you mean the edge of the jimps I think he tried the fire steel on them as well as the choil.

Silver, if you mean the edge of the jimps I think he tried the fire steel on them as well as the choil.
I'm wondering why the only 90 degree edge is the finger choil. Is the 7/7 a second because somehow the spine isn't sharp enough to strike a fire rod?

grogimus grogimus what are your thoughts on the overall blade geometry of the 7/7? To my eye, the blade looks just a touch too short (edge to spine) for its length, like maybe it should/could be about. 25" taller. Thoughts?

Also, how does the handle compare to the 5.1? Is it a little beefier? In my imagination the handles look very similar. But if the 7/7 was actually a touch more substantial, the long skinny blade would then be more my imagination as well.

Don't get me wrong I've hardly given this knife a second thought, but recently been on the fence, with a growing interest. Your post has me edging toward "buy", but wondering about the above question about proportions.

^^ I was thinking the exact same thing. Looks like the grind could benefit from being slightly higher. Is it thin behind the edge?

I'm wondering why the only 90 degree edge is the finger choil. Is the 7/7 a second because somehow the spine isn't sharp enough to strike a fire rod?
Oh, I just figured the choil worked to throw sparks because the curvature gave better contact with the rod. I didn't consider that the choil edge might be sharper than the the spine.
On my 5.1 the choil and the spine have the same finish and a slight chamfer is on all the edges (except the blade edge of course).

It's not a 90 degree edge, I assume it's the increased surface area contact the choil provides that makes enough contact to throw the sparks.

grogimus grogimus what are your thoughts on the overall blade geometry of the 7/7? To my eye, the blade looks just a touch too short (edge to spine) for its length, like maybe it should/could be about. 25" taller. Thoughts?

Also, how does the handle compare to the 5.1? Is it a little beefier? In my imagination the handles look very similar. But if the 7/7 was actually a touch more substantial, the long skinny blade would then be more my imagination as well.

Don't get me wrong I've hardly given this knife a second thought, but recently been on the fence, with a growing interest. Your post has me edging toward "buy", but wondering about the above question about proportions.

It's definitely a slim design with the relatively thin blade, the blade is the same height as the 5.1, 1.49" on the calipers. Just eyeballing it the handles look very similar to the 5.1 also. The grind on the primary bevel starts a little lower than on the others, I think that contributes to the skinny look. For me, it's very comfortable. I was like you, I never really paid much attention to the 7/7, its appearance and description made me think of it as a fight-y stabby thing. I don't specifically recall when I decided I needed a 7/7 which makes me think there may have been some alcohol involved but now that I have it and used it I'm very happy I ordered it.

^^ I was thinking the exact same thing. Looks like the grind could benefit from being slightly higher. Is it thin behind the edge?

This is just a guess, because it's a second so there is presumably something not perfectly to spec on it, but it would make sense to me to start the grind lower on the blade to add more meat to the spine of the knife. With the additional length of the blade the added strength was probably desired to keep the longer blade tough.

I'm getting .02" just behind the edge along most of the length of the knife, up to .03" on the last 1/2" of the blade towards the tip. The 5.1 and 4.7 I checked both show .02" along the entire length. I don't actually understand how that's possible with the grind on the 7/7 starting 0.6" from the spine and the 4.7 and 5.1 grinds starting 0.48" from the spine, I'm guessing I'd need a more precise caliper to see the difference. They're all the same thickness, the 4.7 isn't quite as tall from edge to spine as the other two.

Oh, I just figured the choil worked to throw sparks because the curvature gave better contact with the rod. I didn't consider that the choil edge might be sharper than the the spine.
On my 5.1 the choil and the spine have the same finish and a slight chamfer is on all the edges (except the blade edge of course).

That's pretty much what I figured too. The spine and choil don't have sharp edges but I was pretty tickled to see them throwing sparks anyways. Maybe that was just a super soft firesteel, I haven't tried it on any of my others.

I'm getting .02" just behind the edge along most of the length of the knife, up to .03" on the last 1/2" of the blade towards the tip. The 5.1 and 4.7 I checked both show .02" along the entire length. I don't actually understand how that's possible with the grind on the 7/7 starting 0.6" from the spine and the 4.7 and 5.1 grinds starting 0.48" from the spine, I'm guessing I'd need a more precise caliper to see the difference. They're all the same thickness, the 4.7 isn't quite as tall from edge to spine as the other two.
I'd been meaning to make these measurements but I hadn't got around to it until now.
Primary grind angles on my Survive knives: Old 3.5 = 4.3°, New 4.1 = 5.4°, New 2.7 = 5.0°, New 4.7 = 5.3°, 5.2°, 5.2° (three different knives) and the New 5.1 = 4.5°.
I rechecked all the angles and they came out within 0.2° of the original values.
There does seem to be some variation from model to model, not a great deal but enough to measure.
This might even be deliberate since the three GSO 4.7 that I have have the same primary grind angle.
So, it might be that the 7/7 has a different grind angle allowing the bevel to start further from the spine and still give the same width behind the edge.

Back