First experience with Leatherman (and it's not so good)

I haven't had a lot of leatherman's but the skeletool I had was pretty nice and the built quality was on part with any victorinox I've had, no scissors on that though. I guess when I think of leatherman I think of a company that makes folding pliers well and the rest is extra with the exception of the ones with bits, which is what I liked about the skeletool and why I may get a wave.

However, I think gerber makes some nice multi-tools and for cheaper. They're not as nice as leatherman but they're not a ton worse, at least from what I've had.

I think where victorinox wins, hands down, is their consistency. They make a fine product and pretty much every time it's built right and the prices are generally quite fair. Just got my first boker tech tool to try something a little different and it seems to be about the same as a SAK but time will tell. Sure like the main blade more but I wish they would use a different blade shape, just not a fan of the spear/pen blade shapes. The blade shapes were one of the things I liked on the skeletool and gerber suspension.

I wish I knew where my Leatherman Super Tool was it is one the older ones I think just before they introduced the wave model.

Assuming I like the multi-tool functions on a particular tool (not a SAK), as far as brands go my priority pecking order for buying goes > Victorinox, SOG, Leatherman, and Gerber. I ignore all other brands. I really like the Leatherman Ps4 (have two and use a lot) and to my knowledge, Vic makes nothing like that. The pliers is the key for me; scissors is a secondary need and seldom used.

I've owned exactly one Leatherman: A "Wingman".
I did not like it for a variety of reasons, so I gave it to a co-worker, so he might stop using his knife as a screwdriver.

I found my original Leatherman Super Tool lobe it has a few issues but overall still a great tool.

I tend to gravitate toward LM when I am looking for a rugged tool and toward Vic if I am looking for a refined EDC lighter-duty tool.
I've had more than a dozen of their tools over the years. I find the ST300 (and the ST200 before that) to be my most bomb-proof tool, but the Rebar is a close second.

Their entry-level stuff is just OK, and their keychain tools are kinda chunky compared to Vic.

Still, I'll never give up my ST or Rebar. Saved my bacon too many times.

The company is a little too anti 2nd Amendment for me - the owner has donated quite a bit of money to anti gun organizations over the years. I carried the original Leatherman tool for years until it went into the Gulf of Mexico when rescuing a pelican caught in a net. I hope the pelican appreciated it. He wasn't happy and neither was I when I lost my tool.

I can't speak for the Style, but if you want nice scissors, I really like the ones on the Juice. They are pretty close to the quality of my Vic Fieldmaster and Alox Pioneer X, and have a stronger spring. My Squirt is the PS4, with even smaller scissors, but still strong enough for cutting my nails when needed.

Thanks for the comment. For now I'm sticking with my Vic Classic Alox as my key chain tool. It never let me down in any way. I also have a Pioneer X for when I need a bigger pair of scissors, but that one goes in my backpack on holidays.

I dont see the point of a multitool except if hiking. Around the house or vehicle, I have a REAL toolbox. :) But when I have to minimize weight and bulk, as on the trail, I favor a Crunch and several saw blades that can be held in the visegrip of the tool. There's no other decent tool that offers the visegrip feature. By having 9" of saw blade, you can cut a lot of wood. You can start a saw kerf in the end of a round of wood, then baton wooden wedges to split the round.

Two of my Leatherman’s the scissors don’t work. The lock doesn’t engage and the spring doesn’t pop. I sent in one three weeks ago and got it back today. Still doesn’t work. I don’t think they even looked at it. Highly disappointed.

I had an early Leatherman for years. I picked up a Supertool, when they came out. My favorite features were the nice crosscut saw blades, and the reasonably sturdy, easy to sharpen knife blades.

When TL came out more blatantly anti-2A, the prices were significantly up, and after Gerber released the MP600, I relegated my last Supertool to my truck toolbox. The MP600 has a better wire cutter/stripper and interchangeable saw blades, and after a bit of work, the blades are very servicible. I carry my multitools for bike repairs on the road and repairs in the workplace. The MP600(specifically) offers much better value for the dollar, for me.

I’ve had 5 Leathermans. A wingman, sidekick, and 3 Charge ALs.
I sent two of the ALs in for repair, one for a slightly bent screwdriver and the other for blade play, but they replaced them. The one I’m on now is pretty much perfect. I am definitely a fan of them.

Two of my Leatherman’s the scissors don’t work. The lock doesn’t engage and the spring doesn’t pop. I sent in one three weeks ago and got it back today. Still doesn’t work. I don’t think they even looked at it. Highly disappointed.
If it’s a Wingman make sure you really push it into postition when you open it. It should have the liner lock pop out and lock it . Once it’s locked the spring should work.

Last edited:
Back