First Folder

richtrix

Gold Member
Made my first folder.......It's an old pattern slipjoint. Half stop 2.5" blade, 5.875" overall. 1/8" O1 blade and back spring, .040 brass liners, Nickel bolsters and pins, rosewood scales. I found out that folders are what I like making. My head is buzzing with ideas now that I know I can do it. I have plans to make a few more of this pattern for sale then on to something different. Comments either way welcome...........Richie

Attachments

• FOLDER 1.jpg
    FOLDER 1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 167
  • FOLDER 3.jpg
    FOLDER 3.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 138
  • FOLDER 5.jpg
    FOLDER 5.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 115
  • FOLDER 6.JPG
    FOLDER 6.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 117
  • FOLDER 7.jpg
    FOLDER 7.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 106
An instant classic, very nice. I really like how it's got a bit of the texture in the wood but not too much and not a dirty and worn look. The same with the blade. I looks like something an old time craftsman would make for someone rather than a machine made super polished precision machined within a zillionth of an inch type design, but without being rough or lacking in elegance and quality.

Very nice!

Looks very complicated to make!

Very nice!

Looks very complicated to make!

Thanks Jonathan.........Went to your website....I really like your cord wraped / temper line knives, that drone Necker is a cool design also. I've probably got 20 hours in that little folder but I expect I'll get faster after I make a few more.

Did you find it was easier to make than you were led to believe? I was real discouraged by a few makers who said they were too difficult and I should wait a long time before I made one. Do you wish you had tried sooner?

PS: Very nice, very classy looking. My second will be a linerlock of very similar design.

I handled this one and looked on for short period while Rich was fitting everything up. It's a super nice little slip joint, well made with good walk and talk action. The back spring is flush in all three blade positions. I told him I was jealous, great job Rich.

Looks nice; simple and traditional but stylish too. I just fixed a slipjoint (blade replacement) for a mate so I know how good that is! Mine doesn't walk and talk like that and I already had most everything to build it so I can vouch for what a smashing effort that is for a first go. Keep them comin!

I love that pattern, but 1/8" seems seriously stout for such a small knife. How does it cut?

I was afraid I might get this question....Haven't even put an edge on it yet.......I was a little worried about using 1/8" stock but with the grind going all the way to the top it looks like it will be just fine for everyday use, maybe not for whittlin'......I do like a stout knife though.

This one is going to cut just fine, blade/grind geometry is spot on. It will be just perfect for a whittler , strong enough to take the abuse. Which is something you don't find in most manufactered pocket knives of this size. A lot of sunday go to meeting knives this size are only good for cleaning your fingernails, opening a box, or light cutting. This one is good for all that and a lot more.

My 2nd comment but I keep looking at your knife.
It just does *something* to me.
I think it is the best looking custom knife I've seen in quite a while.
The only thing I don't like is the nailnick. I like the shape, but it deserves a finer finish IMHO

Hengelo, Thanks for your comments.....I see what you mean, but the macro lense makes it look different than the naked eye...It's hard to make everyone happy. Some folks like for the nail nick to be dark and it was just easier to leave it that way:) I could clean it up if a customer preferred it. Richie

Last edited:
I love old-style patterns like that. I think you nailed it. I think this is the first slipjoint I've seen in O1. I love its performance, but it'll take alot of diligent maintenance to keep a folder from gettign some rust spots in the nooks and crannies. 1/8" stock is probably a little bit of overkill, but with a nice edge I'm sure it will cut fine. Nothing wrong with a good stout tool steel slipjoint. :thumbup::thumbup:

Hey Richie,If that is your first slipjoint :thumbup:...Please put me on your list,to make a knife :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
WTG!
-Vince :)

Back