First HI

Took delivery on my first new to me HI blade today . I recieved a 16.5" Ganga Ram . The transaction was with forumite @tobiisim . Excellent dealing with him !!! Now the kukuri itself can be described in one word , awsomeness . I have Kukris from one other manufacturer and have zero complaints . But after recieving/using the HI product I'm smitten to say the least .

Last edited:
Nothing is better than a khukuri from HI. Customer service and the business ethics of HI is beyond reproach. Enjoy and welcome!

I've been doing some after the fact research . I've read that a 22" Ganga Ram came in at over 40oz. My personal example while only 5" shorter weighs substantially less at 1.5# .
Why such a huge weight difference ?

I've been doing some after the fact research . I've read that a 22" Ganga Ram came in at over 40oz. My personal example while only 5" shorter weighs substantially less at 1.5# .
Why such a huge weight difference ?

The kamis tend to make everything about a knife proportional to the length. A longer blade will usually be thicker, wider and have a bigger (and thicker) handle. A 5" difference in length is a lot and always makes a huge weight difference, for a given model. Of course there are exceptions, but that's the rule.

Similarly, a few ounces difference in weight can be a lot for many people. That's why we see quite a few comments from people who wish the kamis would make a lighter weight M-43. The difference between 30 oz and 24 oz is huge when you are swinging a blade, especially for prolonged chopping, or for carrying a blade on your belt. Also, if you have a short blade and a long blade of the same length, the shorter blade will probably be easier to handle because the center of gravity is closer to your hand.

One time I had to return a 21" long, 37 oz Chitlangi, not because I couldn't handle the weight, but because the girth of the handle was too much for my fingers to wrap around. Sometimes you need a thick handle to get a firm grip on a heavy knife, but if it's too thick that's also no good.

Welcome to the HI and blade forum

Back