First impressions; Leatherman Juice S2

Great POCKET multitool! I have bought several multitools in the past but never kept them. As I don't like to go the belt pouch route, they have either been too big (wave) or too small to be really functional (leatherman mini). IMHO, the Juice is just right! I opted for the S2, on the small chassis, with scissors instead of the corkscrew. Leatherman states they reponded to customer demand for the corkscrew when they brought out the Flair, but I have never understood this; given the wight of a 750 ml. bottle of wine, who needs a "handy" corkscrew? The real standout of the S2 is that it is a compact and unbtrusive unit in the pocket, yet it preserves the ergonomics of the pliers by allowing enough room on the grips to get all four fingers invoved. When folded, the tool assumes an elongated oval shape with rounded edges unlike the sharp brick shape of other tools. All the tools are of the slip-lock type but seem very secure and the design allows the handles to open into alignlment so that, when using the screw drivers (phillip plus three flat) the tool extends up into the base of the wrist for the application of more torque. The scissors are very substantial and they spring off their own seperate spring bar. The distal 1/4 in. of the scissors blades are serrated. The scissors, blade and bottle opener are located on the outside of the handles so you do not have to open the tool to access them, but for some reason, the scissors are nested under the bottle/can opener so this must be deployed before the scissors can be brought out. The screw driver blades are located inside the handles. The knife blade is nicely pointed though not especially sharp as it comes from the factory. There is no lateral play in the blade at all, indeed, there is no discernable play in any of the tools or the pliers with the exception of the scissors blades which require some play to function smoothly. The jaws of the pliers are perfectly aligned and the wire cutters at the base of the jaws are substantial enough to easily snap #8 finishing nails. Overall fit and finish is better than I have seen on any multitool including other Leatherman products. The scales are anodized aluminum with no significant texture but with a bright copper color to allow the tool to stand out on the ground. All together, I think it's great and may now become my daily carry in lieu of either my Swiss Army Soldier or Hiker. If you don't need pocketability, there are better tools, but for the compact package, the Juice just raised the bar considerably.

Back