First Impressions of Steel Will Tasso and the ANT lock.

jstn

Gold Member
I've been waiting the try out the Ant lock for years now. I am a sucker for innovative new locks and I dislike flippers, so this blade is right down my alley.

I've never had a Steel Will before, but I am super impressed with this knife, especially at the $170 price point with M390 steel. Fit and finish are excellent, no blade play at all, and it is a really good looking knife. I think the Bowie-style blade is the highlight aesthetically, but the handle is really nicely contoured as well; it fits my hand perfectly.

As for the Ant lock, it is quite different in use from the Axis lock. At first I kept wanting to pull back to disengage the lock, but after ten minutes of playing with it, pulling up instead of back became very intuitive. I also suspect this lock will be very strong, and the way it is constructed allows Steel Will to leave the knife linerless, so it is nice and light.

The ergos on this are perfect for me, with no hotspots, and the clip is really unobtrusive. The orange backspacer adds a nice touch of color to the handle.

The only negative for me is that the handles aren't super grippy. They do have some texturing to them, but I prefer more. I think for many this will be a positive, however, and the ergos really lock it into my hand.

For price, materials, fit and finish, and aesthetics, I would almost have to give this knife a 10/10 right now. I think it will be a perfect EDC. IMG_20190611_103545646.jpg IMG_20190611_103558659.jpg

Yeah, I just referenced the Axis because it looks similar outwardly. It seems like it will be a very strong lock, and I am pleased wit how easy it is to operate. Mine isn't super smooth yet, but I suspect it will smooth out over time.

I am also curious to hear if anyone else on BF has one of these and what you guys think about it!

It's less axis lock and more a complex more easily one handed opening lockback. Where you don't have to shift your grip as much as you do in a traditional lockback.
@austonh did a good video showing it:
:) Very interesting lock . Really fairly simple and robust , which is great . Shares some aspects of my fav the Tri-ad . Sort of ...maybe ? :confused:

It's a great looking design, with one major problem. They made a fully ambidextrous lock WITHOUT A FREAKING AMBIDEXTROUS CLIP!
Yeah, that is weird. Maybe they will remedy that in the future?

yes, it is strange that they missed this important feature.

As they have it on so many of their other folders.

I like it, looks pretty robust and might even be more reliable than axis lock.

Did this have problems when it was first released or am I thinking of something else?

Back