First Knife Project - multiple threads merged

All,

I did some filing today and managed to get the swoop on the top of the blade to the "Rhino hump" about as smooth and square as I can get it with my files and the grits I have.

That said, it took me about an hour to do that alone and it was already fairly smooth. Filing the entire bevel is not going to be an option on this knife, it is just too big and I can't be bending for that amount of time: (I have a bad back 4 full thickness radial annular tears T5-T8). I am in a bit of pain today from yesterdays angle grinding (standing bent) and today's filing (again standing bent over), you would think I would have learned by now...

Now I am back at the question of a belt grinder.

What grit belts do you guys use for the bevel from start to finish? I would like to know so I can get everything during my next order.

Again, I really appreciate all of the help from this community and so far I am enjoying this little adventure (minus a little back pain).

I hope you all have a great weekend.

Last edited:
One more thing: I decided on red, white, and blue micarta scales for the handle. "Made in the U.S.A.!"

I made a final decision on a 2x72 belt grinder: Esteem Grinder by Brett Mathews.

It was a toss up between that and the KMG, after a few recommendations to get variable speed, I went with the Esteem for a few reasons but mainly total cost.

Some advantages IMO with the Esteem were: direct drive, powder coat painted, already wired, and finally a lower total cost compared to the kmg with variable speed.

More details: The grinder I am getting will be a 110v 1.5hp machine, the motor would be 2hp on 220v with a jumper change if I ever get a 220v line put in the garage. I am only getting the flat platen to start out with (Brett is including a ceramic plate at no extra cost). He was out 6-7 weeks on orders so that gives me time to do some cleanup in the garage and possibly start on a smaller knife using files only.

UPDATE! I did most of the primary bevel today. I will be drilling holes and then sending the knife out for heat treat. I could use a name for this service. The steel is O1 and I want the Hardness at 60ish.

I did my bevel by using clamps to secure my knife against a 1 and 1/2" by 1 and 1/2" by 24" piece of aluminum and setting the angle on my grinder at 84.4 after doing the math to figure out where I wanted my bevel to end on the knife on the top. I scribed the bottom of the blade and then ground the bevel at the 84.4 degree angle until I reached my scribe mark on the bottom. I left 3/16" thickness for the secondary bevel. It turned out pretty well for a first grind I think. I thank everyone for pushing me on the variable speed grinder, it really helped a lot!

I ran grits 36 then 60 then 120 then 220 and a used a short touch of a scotch brite belt to clean it up. My hands made one of the sides dirty, so those are the smudges you see in one of the photos of the bevels.

Pics:

Last edited:
Back