First knife

I've posted this as it progressed, and I think I can consider my first knife finally done.
The knife has been completed for several months and was ready to have a sheath made when the pandemic hit and slowed things down.
Well, it's finally finished and I couldn't be more happy (actually I am very nit-picky, so there are SOME things that bug me, but I'm learning slowly to not sweat the small sh*t).

6ZXEKpb.jpg

WkQuAhj.jpg

Looks way better then my first , good thing there was no digital photography or social networks back then , it would hunt me for the rest of my life.

That blade shape is awesome. What are the specs? Or... you said you've posted this as it progressed. Is there a thread?

That's a great looking blade man, first one or not!

Great knife and sheath too!!!
Every one starts.somewhere. Looks like you're ahead already!!
Who is the sheath maker??

James

Looks great, my first knife if I still had it could easily be mistaken for a prison shank but this still looks better than anything I've made to date.

That blade shape is awesome. What are the specs? Or... you said you've posted this as it progressed. Is there a thread?

That's a great looking blade man, first one or not!
Thank you for the compliments!

It's 1084, primarily hand-forged with a little bit of "cheating" press work toward the end due to time constraints (two-day class my son and I took). The handle is desert ironwood with mandatory mosaic pins. The blade shape was just freeform.
Our works-in progress are big damascus camp choppers being made from 1084 and 15n20. Progress has stalled due to the pandemic. They might not be chopping at camp until next year...

The sheath was made by a woman who works with the bladesmith we are learning from. She is a wizard with leather, as you can see; he has been on FIF, teaching for ten years and is working toward being an ABS Master smith.

I don't want to break any rules of BF etiquette so I won't post their info here, but if anyone wants it, please contact me via private message.

Back