First New Knife in long time - Native5 LW vs Delica Wharncliffe

I haven't bought a new knife in a few years, but some pictures have me intrigued. I love the look of the native lightweight and love to be able to try out S110v. I love the lines of the knife, how it doesn't have a ramp and is on smaller side. I like small knives. Honestly was never into the native as backlocks don't seem as much fun but with my fiancé in the picture, they seem more practical for her to use (she still uses scissors to open boxes). I also never see anyone say anything bad about the native. I also really like the way the delica wharncliffe looks and big fan of wharncliffe shapes. Can't make up mind on these. Both seem like good value. I am also a big fan of choils so native has that going. Wharncliffe seems nice for slicing boxes but native shape maybe more practical?

Also debating the sage 5 and para 3 as well but I like lightweight knives and native is probably pushing budget. I would be using knife for opening packages at home and just to admire/fondle.

Right now, I own a cricket SE, dragonfly salt/SE and black/vg10, manbug salt, ladybug hawkbill

Last edited:
Both are good knives so it shall be only personal preferences
Personally I prefer the Delica handle over the Native's
But clearly s110v is appealing :)

You're going to want the S110V. Although both are production models. So they'll be available for a while.

Does anyone have a comparison shot of the thickness of the handles for the Native and delica?

I really do think the delica wharn is good looking but black handle is boring. Something about the lines of the native is so sexy, maybe it's the straightness up top since it doesn't have a ramp

I think there are aftermarket scales available for the Delica if the existing ones don't capture your fancy, though following that path may be a budget buster for you.

Delica is the wharnie but sorry the native is g10
1e6c786bc8c22f7bc5aee2befb9ac312.jpg

Does anyone have a comparison shot of the thickness of the handles for the Native and delica?

Apologies for the self-referencing, but my not-great-but-better-than-nothing photos with measurements comparing Native & Delica handle sizes here, if that helps. Good luck with the decision. :)

Oops, ihateyou beat me to the punch with a much better photo than mine. Coolness. :thumbup:

I think I've decided on grabbing both. Now when it comes to the Native LW, really struggling with s110v vs maxamet. I was all set on s110v but the maxamet is intriguing. People seem to say the edge retention on the maxamet may be even better than the s110v. Ankerson's test aren't quite exact when comparing the two as they aren't the exact same knives used. Price difference is $30 or so. I know maxamet isn't stainless but I hear it doesn't show spots too easily.

I'm going through the same dilemma as well, on the exact same knives. I kinda hope the Maxamet Native just sells out, so I won't be able to buy one.

I really like the blue on the s110v Native lw, but I bought the Maxamet one. (Helps that I have the dark blue s110v UKPK, lol.)

The high blade hardness really intrigues me, sounds like this stuff is pretty much in a league of its own in that respect. How much difference that makes in light-moderate edc use remains to be seen... Had to have at least one blade in this steel though and it went right in my pocket.

Have you received the LW max yet? How is the steel holding up compared to your use with s110v? If I am only cutting cardboard and other mail packages, should I still be concerned about corrosion?

I'm going through the same dilemma as well, on the exact same knives. I kinda hope the Maxamet Native just sells out, so I won't be able to buy one.
That might take a while since it's a regular production model and not a sprint or exclusive. Sorry? :p

Have you received the LW max yet? How is the steel holding up compared to your use with s110v? If I am only cutting cardboard and other mail packages, should I still be concerned about corrosion?
My gut feeling is that unless you're planning to use it in a highly corrosive environment, it'll be just fine. I've used mine to slice cheddar cheese and apples which would mean near instant dark spots on 1095 or Super Blue, but there's not a mark on the Maxamet and I haven't used any oil or treated the blade in any way. It's technically not stainless, but it doesn't seem nearly as non-stainless as other steels, if that makes sense. It seems like M4 in that it'll take a lot to make it patina. That said, I haven't had mine long, so time will tell and YMMV and all disclaimers apply.

I haven't EDC'd S110v so I can't compare the two, but if I could only buy one, I'd go with the Maxamet for the novelty. If you're just going to use it opening boxes and envelopes (which, frankly, is mostly what my knives do) then either steel will work just fine for your needs and as long as you don't need that high degree of stainlessness, it's just a matter of personal preference; which steel intrigues you more.

Good luck with the decision!

I received it late last week. Haven't really used it enough to be able to say much or to compare it to s110v. I did some spring cleaning today though and it was used often to cut up a bunch of stuff so that it could be bagged up and put in the trash. (i.e., Cardboard, plastics, carpet, trimmed some houseplants, etc...) I was a little surprised that I'm still unable to discern any impact at all on the edge.

Haven't noticed any staining or anything yet. Corrosion resistance hasn't been much of an issue for me in the midwest, but I can't speak to FL. I don't imagine it would be an issue for the use you describe, but I'm not 100% sure. For my blades that are actually rust-prone, (1095, super blue, white #2, 52100,) I just try not to let them ever sit wet and will give them a light coat of mineral oil for storage.

I've posted this pic a couple times, but another one won't hurt:

25iw12q.jpg

Really? I thought the Maxamet was a sprint run?
Pretty sure both the Maxamet Manix and Native are regular production models. They're not listed as Sprints in the 2017 catalog and since they're available from a variety of retailers, it seems unlikely they're exclusives. I can't find an official statement to that effect, though; just folks on the Spyderco forum saying so.

Pretty sure both the Maxamet Manix and Native are regular production models. They're not listed as Sprints in the 2017 catalog and since they're available from a variety of retailers, it seems unlikely they're exclusives. I can't find an official statement to that effect, though; just folks on the Spyderco forum saying so.

Well, that's even better news then. I was going to pull the trigger on the Native, but I think I'll wait a bit until I can sell some stuff off to raise the funds. I've been on a bit of a spree this past month.

hope the native/maxamet in G-10 version comes along soon!love to try this steel,seems like they use the native as a test-bed for all the steels they are going be using in regular production knifes!

Back