First non-1084 steel order?

My last knife was from a piece of s30v, but everything before that has been with 1084. So, I'm looking for suggestions of two or three different steels to try next.

-I'm doing stock removal, not forging
-I'll be sending them out for HT
-Not necessarily looking the cheapest, but I don't want the expense of M390 either
-At least one stainless steel
-Easier to grind, easier on belts would be nice, but not the most important factor
-I'm planning to make 4-5" drop point camp and hunting knives, along with some chef knives

Suggestions?

For stainless try AEB-L, cpm 154, or 440-c. For non stainless try A2, D2, or O1. These will make great knives, not too expensive, and on the easier end for grinding and finishing.

If it were me, I would use AEB-L and A2. Have your heat treater run them at around 61 hrc, ~62 hrc for kitchen knives.

Hoss

If you scrap the easier to grind requirement, my favorite steel currently is z-wear/cpm cru-wear. I agree with the above suggestions too though.

For carbon steels, I like 8670, 15N20, 80CrV2. 8670 is available in thicker sizes than 15N20, and 80CrV2 seems to take a darker acid etch and stone tumbles with more interesting patterns to me compared to 15N20/8670.

The other nitpick I experience with 15N20 is depending on where you purchase it from, it can come slightly harder making it more difficult to drill/machine. I have a little old kiln and can anneal it to make that part easier.

For carbon steels, I like 8670, 15N20, 80CrV2. 8670 is available in thicker sizes than 15N20, and 80CrV2 seems to take a darker acid etch and stone tumbles with more interesting patterns to me compared to 15N20/8670.

The other nitpick I experience with 15N20 is depending on where you purchase it from, it can come slightly harder making it more difficult to drill/machine. I have a little old kiln and can anneal it to make that part easier.

I'm not familiar with any of those, other than just hearing of them. But I'll look into them, thanks!

Let's say I make a 4" blade drop point camp knife out of 1084. And then make two more from 1095 and 52100. And assuming they're all heat treated professionally.

Would I notice any real world difference?

If you go with AEB-L maybe someone with more experience can chime in on how thin you can grind pre heat treat without it warping. I do my own heat treating and grind post heat treat but still get warping with AEB-l on Stock about .1". I'd hate to see you send off a bunch of ground blade only to get some some bacon back. I've never sent out for heat treat so maybe its a non issue.

I also find that AEB'L grinds nicer after heat treat anyways. It seems gummy to me pre heat treat.

Let's say I make a 4" blade drop point camp knife out of 1084. And then make two more from 1095 and 52100. And assuming they're all heat treated professionally.

Would I notice any real world difference?

You could expect 20% better wear resistance from the 52100. You could get an awesome hamon with the 1095, and a bit more edge holding.

Back