First outing with new canoe.

Yes. I first floated it years before it became the first National Wild River. My heart is there. My exwife who died a few months ago wants her ashes spread there as do I mine. Some of our best times happened on and around that river. I remember my bumper sticker "Dam The Corps, Not the River" when the Corps of Engineers tried to get a dam approved there.

Few things are better than a boat and a paddle to soothe the soul. :)

Truth. I was in a canoe in the midle of the Tennessee River near Chattanooga when the "Eagle" landed on the moon.

My son is also in the market for a canoe. Great thread, keep it up!

Al

I am willing if you guys are!

I've only seen one used before up in Quentico by a guide. I just stick with my 6'6 baitcasters as I usually fish the slops for pikes and largemouths where I duck hunt.

They are particularly handy in a canoe on moving water. Easy to make a spur of the moment cast, retrieve and stow without having to backpaddle or anchor.

The canoe is a 1967 Grumman 15 ft. canoe. My friend that sold it to me retired and was the original owner (well taken care of) not sure about the foam, but I would assume, that yes it has it. It is fairly light, not sure about fifty pounds, I would guess 60-75 lbs. I can lift it myself, but defiantly awkward loading and unloading, not so much the weight but the length and weight distribution.

1967 Grumman 15 ft. Yup. Those were great canoes. They came out as WWII ended and the aluminum rolling and riviting machinery was looking for a market. Great boats for flatwater, not so much for whitewater. Though I did use and abuse several on Big Piney, Sylamore, Mulberry, Cadron, Saline and a few other Arkansas streams before I went to plastics. That allowed me to run the Hailstone and Cossatot.

Congrats on the nice ride. Looks like you had a perfect day for your first outing.:cool:

I'll be pulling the tarp off the old canoe myself this weekend.:thumbup:

VictGerbSogCamill, I grew up usin' a 17' Grumman Expedition Canoe, we used to canoe camp up and down the Delaware River and through out a lot of rivers and lakes in Up State NY.

PM me your address, I have an old book on canoe camping I'd be happy to send to you, it might help ya enjoy yer canoe even more.

I love those grumans. Loud as heck when you scrap against rocks, but very well made.

Yes, and they stick to the rocks. One that I used for years had many dents, cracks and replaced rivets. Even the keelson and ribs eventually broke (yup, it was canoe abuse). After a few welds and other repairs, I sold it to a guy who just wanted to use it on his farm pond. I'm pretty sure it served him for quite a few more years. "Back in the day", there were few alternatives to the aluminum canoes for running rocky Ozark streams. Properly cared for (and used on flatwater), they would likely last forever, as the OP's 1967 canoe illustrates.

Cross-link polyethelyne was stronger and more abrasion resistant than I would have imagined. Even a moderately wrapped boat could be kicked out straight. It was so flexable however, that it required an internal aluminum frame, and still tended to oilcan. I speak of a Coleman 17' Ram-X canoe that I beat without mercy for years (1982-1994). It paddled like a freighter (UPS truck), but after I learned it's quirks, I took it thru some really rough and technical rock gardens (yeah, It was like a pinball at times, but it didn't stick).

My 15' fiberglass canoe (the one that was stolen) didn't last very long, and it was nearly as heavy as the 17' Coleman. It had a keel that was bad about wearing thru (and leaking), and I was neglegent in not adding kevlar skid plates early on.

I still use my coleman heavily each year for fishing and hunting. It has amazing load capacity and very stable. I run either an electric or a 3.5 merc on it. I can attest to the paddling quality as one shear pin broke last year during duck season. Let me tell you, paddling that thing with some 5mm waders and bags of dekes are not what you call fun. While it's not the most graceful craft on the water, it does the job well and I got it as a bday present from my dad when I was 16, so I can't complain.

As for the flexibility part, I think it's just the coleman that are like that. the mad river and old town that I paddled are pretty solid, even tho we did warped one of them running down a dam during a spring thaw. It took 6 guys to get it off the rocks as the river was pushing it more or less inside out against a big rock. Once we got it back to shore, a good kick and some duct tape was all it took to get it "floating" for the rest of the trip.

I bought this canoe from a friend of mine this past winter. This is the first time I've had it out. I added the bass boat seat to it.
Wanted to see how she'd do, not sure adding the seat, center of balance and all. But it did great, did some fishing by myself, seen a lot of big fish under the water but did not catch any. My wife and daughter came up later and we all went out to see how the canoe would handle with all of us, a little more unstable but fine. Then my wife left and me and my daughter went around the lake (185 acers). What a great day, my daughters first time in a canoe. She loved it so much I didn't think we were ever going to get back to shore.
I had never fished from a canoe...why did I wait so long...It was so fun and peaceful.

canoee-Copy2.jpg

canoe8.jpg

Well, my son got a canoe with a friend of his about a month or so ago. He got an Old Town 14.5' from Big Dick's Sporting Goods for about $350, I forget the specific model.

In any event, we need to either add stadium seats to it, or a bass seat to it like you did. A couple hours in the canoe and my back especially is really sore.

So please tell me more about how you added the bass seat, what kind, where from, cost, etc. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Al

I bought this canoe from a friend of mine this past winter. This is the first time I've had it out. I added the bass boat seat to it.
Wanted to see how she'd do, not sure adding the seat, center of balance and all. But it did great, did some fishing by myself, seen a lot of big fish under the water but did not catch any. My wife and daughter came up later and we all went out to see how the canoe would handle with all of us, a little more unstable but fine. Then my wife left and me and my daughter went around the lake (185 acers). What a great day, my daughters first time in a canoe. She loved it so much I didn't think we were ever going to get back to shore.
I had never fished from a canoe...why did I wait so long...It was so fun and peaceful.

canoee-Copy2.jpg

snip....

Well, my son got a canoe with a friend of his about a month or so ago. He got an Old Town 14.5' from Big Dick's Sporting Goods for about $350, I forget the specific model.

In any event, we need to either add stadium seats to it, or a bass seat to it like you did. A couple hours in the canoe and my back especially is really sore.

So please tell me more about how you added the bass seat, what kind, where from, cost, etc. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Al

Thanks,

Al

I got the seat at Gander Mountain during the winter, I think I paid 35.00 It was on sale promotional thing.
I took a piece of 1/4 x 6 x 6 strap drilled and tapped the center, then threaded a 5/16 bolt ground off the head, welded the bolt then ground almost flat again. drilled four through holes to line up with the seat mounts, then realized i drilled the wrong four holes thus the extra set of holes. (check twice drill once ):D. I used 1/4x20 button head screws, slightly recessed to hold the plate. I used hole saw blanks as spacers, depending wether I have the seat mounted in the front (just me) or rear (with the family). On my aluminum canoe the bench seats have a hole for drainage, I put the bolt through that hole and then use the hand knob (that I had lying around) to secure it to the boat.. It works great, very firm, no movement, extremely comfy.

100_5027.jpg

100_5022.jpg

100_5023.jpg

100_5025.jpg

100_5026.jpg

Last edited:
I have an Old Town canoe. I use the old stadium bleacher seats. and a bungee cord. Works great. Like this. There is a hook on the bottom. Then wrap a bungee cord around it also.

105-94%20Stadium%20Seat.jpg

Be careful! The OT 14' boats do not have a high load capacity and get top heavy very quickly. Two grownups will max them out.

Ive had two adults "400" lbs in mine several times. 100 lbs of gear tops.500 lbs total. Never had any problems .

Now took my dad once , and he made the craft tipsy.He just can not get balanced in a canoe.

I like the seat idea. Sure would be a lot more comfortable after 5-6 hours on a river.

I grew up paddling a 15 ft Grumman canoe. Fond memories.

I have been paddling kayaks lately. I like the control, but dislike the lack of carrying capacity for gear.

I use kitchen chairs, the kind with the chrome metal legs. I cut the legs off, put plywood on the chair bottom and use it in my 17.5 Old Towne discovery.

I had to get some dowelling and ready rod to lower the seats in the canoe to make it less tippy, as the chair adds too much height to the seat.

I found a pair of the old-style Zebco dock rods at our local flea market a few weeks ago and the lady threw in a pair of 33 Classic reels, so that search is over.

This weekend I went out and bought a new canoe. I had no luck locating a decent used one. Every time I found a possibility, it was sold before I could get to it. The local liveries don't sell their used canoes until they are thoroughly trashed.

I found a 2010 Pelican (formerly Coleman Marine) Potomac 14'6" canoe with molded seats. Like my old Coleman from the 1980's, it is Ram-X crosslink polyethelyne and... the same "Colorado Red" color. In lieu of an aluminum keelson and vertical stiffener supports under the seats and thwarts, the hull is thicker and the molded seats themselves provide the hull with needed stiffness. I think I am going to miss the full length keel of the old coleman as this boat has no keel. Maybe not though. We'll just have to see how well it tracks without one.

Here is a picture I nabbed from an online site "Tropical Watersports". Their price on this boat is $1,395. Dick's sells theirs for $329. It was a difficult decision, but I went with Dick's.

24wfxi1.jpg

Shorter than my old 17' Coleman by 2'6", it has the same 36" beam amidships (38" stated on the shipping sticker), so it should be stable enough to stand in while casting, and very hard to swamp even with a novice bowperson. Capacity is rated at 800 pounds (I am skeptical of this).Fitted with three seats, the sticker declares "Maximum Capacity In Whole Persons....2". Hay, waitaminute!:eek:

1565npz.jpg

As you can see, there are three seats, the middle being also a "cooler". Each seat has both drink holders and rod holders. While my old COleman had relatively narrow flat molded "bench seats", these are quite wide and beg for a pad like the GCI Sitbacker ($30 +/-)...

eq8ozc.jpg

The bow and stern have painter attachment holes in the endcaps, and the (tiny) deckplates each have a molded hand hold for carry.

Unlike my old Coleman, the gunnels on this boat have vinyl covers. This should be an improvement over the bare aluminum of the old model. I won't miss having my hands coated with gray aluminum oxide, or hearing every bump of the paddle on the gunnels.

My old canoe came as a "kit" and took about an hour to assemble, drilling holes and screwing together all of the aluminum frame, including gunnels.

28ku4wn.jpg

This one also was a kit of sorts, but took less than 30 minutes with the holes for the deckplates and seats already drilled, the end caps and gunnels already riveted on.

Will this canoe be as durable as my old Coleman? I really don't know yet. But it's cost here in mid-2010 is nearly the same as I paid for the Coleman back in 1982, and about half the cost of a comparable Old Town. It will do me until something better comes along. Hopefully at least one of my PFDs is still around and didn't get "lost" with my canoe, paddles, tents and sleeping bags.

EDITED TO ADD: I have had buyer's remorse today. I don't care for the molded seats and how they are attached to the hull. Reviews speak of them breaking, and I can't sit backwards in them for solo paddling.

My first thought was to upgrade the seats to ash and wicker, add ash thwarts and grab handles. But then I would have a bit more than an extra hundred in it, closer to $150 plus my labor. I am considering taking it back to Dick's and putting the money toward a better canoe, possibly a used Old Town Guide 16 I just found for about the same total price of the upgraded 14'6" Pelican.

You ever do this? Buy something cheap because you ran out of patience, then regret the purchase before you even use it?

Last edited:
I can't wait to get home. Last year I got a 17' Alumacraft canoe and I've only had one chance to use it so far. When I get home this week it will get used.
I had a 15' Sears fiberglass canoe for years but my bosses son decided he wanted it and stole it from my pickup. Of course I couldn't prove anything. I'm glad I don't work for them anymore.

So I emailed Pelican customer service about my proposed seat swap:

I just purchased a Pelican Potomac 14.6 and I am considering replacing
the front and rear seats with ash and cane Old Town units with ash
dowel drops and stainless hardware. I am concerned about hull
integrety though. Is the hull stiff enough to allow this swap? And if
so, can the center cooler seat also be replaced with an ash thwart? I
realize that these factory seats are intended to provide floatation,
but I intend to place floatation in both the bow and stern ends.

And trhis was their reply:

Good afternoon

Thank you for contacting us in this regard. We would nto recommend to do this modification as it will void the warranty of the product and it was not designed to do so. We could not assure that the hull would be strong enough to do the modification you attempt to do.If any further assistance is required, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Have a nice day.

So this morning I returned the canoe for a refund. And late this afternoon I made a 200 mile round trip to Nashville to pick up a used Old Town Guide 16 with my refund and just a little boot.

b9iyag.jpg

It isn't as beat as it appears in the picture on Craigslist, just dirty. It will clean up spit-spot. The sixteen foot length is closer to my old favorite, and Old Town's layup of the polyethelyne hull is much stiffer than the old Coleman or the newer Pelicans, allowing ash and cane seats and ash thwarts like on their Royalex ABS canoes. The Guide model is listed as both a 14'7" and 16' canoe. This Guide 16 does have a keel. It also has the molded seats I don't like and, if they don't work well with the sitbacker chair, I am still considering installing the old style ash and cane seats.

Since I did find my PFDs and paddles in my tool shed, I'll be getting this canoe wet shortly.

Last edited:
Back