First Post, Cold Steel Question

First time poster. I don't know much about knives other than I like them and use a pocket knife pretty much everyday for opening boxes and whatnot. I have my concealed weapons permit so I figured I would get a knife to carry for defensive/emergency use as well.

I found a decent deal on a Cold Steel Kobun. This one is a Carbon V made in the US. It has a black finish and a kydex sheath. Can anyone tell me anything about this knife? Quality. configuration, etc?

Also, I have some other knives that I don't know much about. Can someone here who knows a lot about knives maybe help me in identifying some and telling me a bit about them?

Thanks.

That is a great knife, good design and good steel, as long as you stay away from the 420 steel anyhting made by cold steel is pretty solid and well priced, there carbon V is some of the best carbon steel i have used.

That is good to here.

Is this considered a full tang knife? I can't tell by looking at it.

Also, do you have any idea what a Phrobis III (Buck Made I think, my Dad brought it back from Gulf 1) M9 bayonet is worth these days?

Sulaco,

Welcome to the forums!

The Kobun is a hidden-tang knife. Normally, in a full-tang knife, the sides of the tang are visible. The tang does go through most of the entire handle, though. Cold Steel's fixed blades, especially the ones made with Carbon V steel, are well regarded here. The Kraton rubber handles could be better, but they're great knives at great prices. If you haven't already bought your Kobun, check out www.wholesalehunter.com They usually sell Cold Steel's products at a great price.

Thanks for the welcome.

I bought it at a local hardware store. Cold Steel has lowered the price to $44.95 since it has been discontinued. I am not sure if you can order from their website or not, but if so, it is $44.95.

I have a Buck Knighthawk, a Kershaw Ken Onion Chive, a Buck M9 Phrobis III, a Camillus 5733B USAF Survival Knife, a Leatherman Wave, a Gerber LST, a Gerber Skinning Knife (unidentified full tang, nice knife), a Benchmade Mel Pardue spearpoint folder (unidentified), a Buck Crosslock, a Swiss Army Tinker, a Wal-Mart machete, a generic hatchet, and a bunch of other miscellaneous blades.

I would love to know some more about the Gerber fixed blade and the Benchmade folder. Cany anyone help me? I can take pictures or describe them better if need be.

Back