First Post. Hope I can get some feedback for improvements.

I have been lurking on this website for many years now, but I've finally made something that I think looks good enough to show off. I made this as a Christmas gift for my wife. It ended up being far bigger than I had intended, and I think I could make version 2 a lot better because of what I learned with this one. The blade is 3.875" in diameter and about .197" thick at the center with a hollow grind. that I made by clamping a grinder with a flap disk in a milling vise with the blade in the spindle. I'm not going to admit what that blade steel is, but I will take any advise on what to use for a replacement.
y4m9nEP-BDuxB6mmW_wItBWGJZMWYfFQWGRMIB3ofoWzybNTGQN-UDOsqBKhZMX5AZKTrL6E6KrAyq02-RS-Jp5CmqMgqW_maNCBAWWZYrhZUIqqp2UHoDn8a9UktXEwBVaiwZa-ZeaI4Gyv_4CZ3b3R7wqcAeaoEcTdFMC1UjfSj0

what a brilliant bit of kit and well made by the looks of things , You seem to have gone to a great deal of work for such a simple instrument , but it does show imagination and inginuity . I would have thought because it is a food making implement , the wheel would ideally be made from some kind of stainless steel ? What is the wood ?

The wood is walnut. Ideally the blade would be stainless steel, but I don’t know anything about stainless knife steels yet. Gotta figure out what I need and then a source.

Very nice, like the idea. Good looking handle. Ideas for you? Looking at the pins on the handle, if you counter-sink the holes, put pins in and peen, the structural strength is a tad better (its then more of a rivet then a pin), and the wood around the hole is a little cleaner. It’s just the difference between great and more great. I build as you do, by this method all the time, but if my goal is ‘my best,’ for a highest end product, this idea might be kept in mind. I do understand putting some work into a simple tool like this. If it is used often it gets looked at, needs to work, and can be shown off. Cool!

Good info. I tend to do things in a hurry and not learn from other peoples mistakes. I learned a lot from it. For example, the massive size is wonderful. It's probably the best pizza slicer I've ever used. Another thing I learned is there is too much curve in the handle. V2 will be step up. Maybe. Shorter flatter handle, same massive blade. Not sure what my wife will say about getting another pizza slicer for her birthday or Christmas.

Back