First "Quality" Kitchen Knives

Hello all, I've been a knife enthusiast for years, but I never extended my quest into the kitchen until recently. I'm hoping to get some quality kitchen knives for the first time, and after a few days of searching, I have nailed down at least some of my criteria, as well as some questions.

First of all, I am looking for a WA-handled Japanese style knife. I prefer thinner blades (that's what I'm used to) and would prefer stainless, though if it isn't feasible or would represent a loss in quality, I am fine with non-stainless. As far as blade types go, a santuko is the only Japanese style knife I've had any first-hand experience with and I would be interested in those. Overall, I'm looking for a small slicer, a heavier "cutter" and perhaps a longer knife to try out. As of now, I cannot abide a blade longer than 6" (150mm), as I believe that blades longer than this become unweildly. I am simply accustomed to smaller knives, and so I believe a petty would suit me better than a gyuto, though I would like to try a longer blade to see if I can adapt. I would be using these knives for chopping and peeling vegetables and slicing/deboning meat mostly. That said, I also have a budget of $100 or under for each blade.

I'm new to this style of knives however, and I had a few questions. First, I was wondering what the feeling is on single vs. double bevels. I've never used a single-ground blade, and it seems like it would be more limiting than a double. Second, how big of a difference does the Honyaki and kasumi grades make in the use of a knife. Lastly, how will a petty compare to a normal western parring knife?

I have looked around, but decided it was best to ask here first, about what you guys recommend for my first foray into quality kitchen knives.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkshse.html

Guess you know how to take care of a knife since you are here :)
The link is just to show cheap ok buys. I would buy a 180-210 Gyuto and a Petty (110-150) and a parer.
If you are a bread eater I would get my own bread knife for those crusty breads :)

Once you use a Gyuto there will be a long way back to a santoku :)

Single vs Double beveled:

Singles are harder to use and need more experience.
Typical single beveled are the sushi chefs 3 knives: Deba, Yanagiba and Usuba
For home chefs double is far more easy to use :)

Honyaki and kasumi:
If you are blindfolded you could not tell apart a kasumi and a Honyaki.
The most important is your skills to sharpen the knives.

Petty and paring is 2 different knives. A parer is smaller than a petty.

This I recommend you:
210 Gyuto
165 Nakiri (for your vegetables)
120 Petty

However, I prefer a stainless with some of my vegetables and fruits :p
Some carbon steels are very reactive :)

oivind_dahle: Thank you for taking time to answer each of my concerns, I really appreciate it. Like I said, I'm new to proper kitchen knives and it's nice to have someone be able to tell you point-blank about the different aspects.

Those Tojiros seem just about perfect. I would prefer stainless of course, but I do want to take good care of these either way, so carbon is A-Ok. I'll likely buy just the Petty at first to see how I like it, and then move on from there. I'll be using a guided sharpening system for the edge, so hopefully all I'll have to worry about is my technique and taking proper care of the steel.

Is there a specific parer you would recommend, or do they not really factor in to Japanese-style knives?

Remember to build up patina on your carbon knives.
Some carbons are really reactive. You might experience onion go brown until a good patina is build up.

Good luck on your sharpening skills :)
A parer? Hmmmm

I rarely use parers, only for cutting things in mid-air, like strawberries.
I have a ceramic one that my family loves, and I also have some cheapos from IKEA.
I keep a few of this ones laying around as well: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/foropakn3.html

I see you want wa in your first post. Its not that important on a parer :)
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/paring-knives.html

:)

check out eamon burke's videos on kitchen knives on youtube.

there are quite a few videos on there on how to keep them sharp as well.

murray carter, jon broida of japaneseknifeimports on youtube has tons of great videos on sharpening. these guys know what they're talking about.

Hello all, I've been a knife enthusiast for years, but I never extended my quest into the kitchen until recently. I'm hoping to get some quality kitchen knives for the first time, and after a few days of searching, I have nailed down at least some of my criteria, as well as some questions.

First of all, I am looking for a WA-handled Japanese style knife. I prefer thinner blades (that's what I'm used to) and would prefer stainless, though if it isn't feasible or would represent a loss in quality, I am fine with non-stainless. As far as blade types go, a santuko is the only Japanese style knife I've had any first-hand experience with and I would be interested in those. Overall, I'm looking for a small slicer, a heavier "cutter" and perhaps a longer knife to try out. As of now, I cannot abide a blade longer than 6" (150mm), as I believe that blades longer than this become unweildly. I am simply accustomed to smaller knives, and so I believe a petty would suit me better than a gyuto, though I would like to try a longer blade to see if I can adapt. I would be using these knives for chopping and peeling vegetables and slicing/deboning meat mostly. That said, I also have a budget of $100 or under for each blade.

I'm new to this style of knives however, and I had a few questions. First, I was wondering what the feeling is on single vs. double bevels. I've never used a single-ground blade, and it seems like it would be more limiting than a double. Second, how big of a difference does the Honyaki and kasumi grades make in the use of a knife. Lastly, how will a petty compare to a normal western parring knife?

I have looked around, but decided it was best to ask here first, about what you guys recommend for my first foray into quality kitchen knives.

found several different shaped paring knives here http://www.etsy.com/shop/OldSailorsKnives?ref=seller_info

I would suggest Japanese Knife Imports. Here is a link
Decent prices but no junk.
Plan on spending a bit more than $100.
But once you use a good kitchen knife you will find ways to afford more.

Back