First San Mai But Need Advice

G L Drew

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Well, maybe the fifth, the first failures are out in the swamp behind my shop. This one is 1084 under 15N20 which welded up better than anything else I tried so far but even so I had a couple of spots that didn't weld and had to grind part of the knife away and make it smaller than I intended. I am really wanting to weld some wrought iron over any steel. I found some of the most beautiful wrought iron on a recent trip to northern Minnesota: I kind of think it was equipment from the iron mines there.
I think that I can work out the bugs in my welding but any suggestions on core steel for a wrought iron weld would be greatly appreciated.

10-17-12.jpg

Start with welding two 4"X1.5"X1/4" pieces of 1084 together. Keep welding up two new pieces until every weld is dead perfect.
If there is a problem, address it before the next attempt.
BTW, more flux won't cure improper heat or too much oxygen.

Get the welding down, then weld the WI to 1084. A thin shim of 15N20 between the two may help.

A tip for knowing when the bars are ready to weld is that a straightened out coat hanger will stick to the billet if it is at welding heat.

I have used 1084 and 1095 under wrought iron and both welded up equally well. I have also done it with a thin shim of 15n20 between the wrought and the 1084 and it gave me a little trouble. Just a small welding flaw between the 1084 and 15n20, but frustrating none the less.
Personally, I have a ton of wrought, so I would just practice with wrought and 1084 until the welds are perfect. I have found wrought very easy to weld. I just watch the flux to see when it is ready to weld. It will look like melting butter when it is time. Just make sure the billet is hot all the way through. Good luck, and be sure to post pics. I love the look of wrought san mai.
One thing to keep in mind is that it is a little difficult to draw a wrought san mai billet because the wrought moves so easily under the hammer compared to the 1084.
-Mike

Thanks for the help, guys! I will keep practicing.

Back