Fishing Gear... Rods, Reels and anything else related to fishing

IMAGE_333.jpeg

Here's a PENN 10 I picked up recently. I'm going to spool it with 17 Lb test Trilene XL and use it for catfish.

It's an early PENN 10 as it has the line stud in the arbor. The intruction sheet says to tie the line to the arbor, loop the line around the stud, and then wind the line on the reel.

Have to get a striper and blue on this set up this fall...

From a friend's boat mid 1980's. Bonus points for any one who knows the boat "The Cricket"

Some old soldiers

Nice rig! I wonder if old Frank ever said he needed a bigger boat when chasing all those sharks ;)

I'm waiting on a new reel and line for my 3wt rod, hoping to catch a few windless evenings on the river to try it out for some 'gills on small poppers.

-X

X, I got to meet him when I was about 17, before the record fish.
He already was a legend out there in Montauk.

Awesome! Sure is cool how he went from hunter to conservationist in his career. Oh, and having a movie attributed to him as well!

-X

I wish I took a photo with him... way to shy to ask.
He had a gold rope chain thicker than a finger with a huge shark tooth, mounted in gold, hanging from it.
One of those larger than life characters.

There were two sharks (dead) tied to the dock. I think they were makos.
One would've fit my skinny 122 lb teenage self right down his gullet without touching a tooth.

Check out this little guy I got in today, fresh off the boat.

20160825_202341_zps6ofcvkyi.jpg

20160825_202403_zpsp967smwr.jpg

20160825_202505_zpshznx96rv.jpg

Picked it up on the Bay for less than a 12 pack of beer. Made in and shipped directly from HK. Best I could tell, this is not a forgery or copy, which I don't mind buying cheap stuff from China if it's not hurting another company.

It's little, 60mm X 17mm spool, but it weighs only 95g. Perfect for my little 7' 3wt fly rod. I've thrown more money away in a night of drinking than I spent on this reel, so if it works for more than a few trips out, it's already better than a bottle of booze :p. I have other name brand reels, but they're all 5/6 wt size or bigger. It has 2 sealed bearings plus one unidirectional bearing that is reversible for right or left hand retrieve.

Just waiting on some line and I can't wait to get this thing in the water!

-X

I have fishing gear all over the basement . In the past year I have use my 3 tenkara rods a telescopic bream pole and 3 Cuban yo yo reels

Back