Fishing Newbie gear list

So I'm really green to fishing but recently moved .25 miles from a large lake jn Alberta Canada. I fished as a youth with Walmart gear in stock tanks and Texas lakes so I've fished but never seriously.

Most of my current fishing gear was more for fishing in the back country after a long hike. I currently have a 3 piece ugly stick fishing rod, Abu Garcia Cardinal reel, and assorted odds and ends with regards to tackle. I have a small, tackle box used for hikes.

So now that I live walking distance to a large lake, I can fish year round. I want to get more serious regarding my gear. I don't have an unlimited budget, but I'm not broke. I'm just ignorant. I don't need top of the line gear, but more serious.

So, I'm looking for the 1095 steel quality fishing gear. Not top of the line infi or m390.

What are the essentials? Rods? Reels? Essential tackle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go for the 13 fishing omen black 2, which run about 120 and a diawa tatula ct for about the same, both from tackelwharehouse, for 240.00 you would have a nice reliable setup.

You could go cheaper but me personally I wouldn't as this will be the best bang for the buck. I also would steer clear of combo units from the big brand names as there is better for the price out there.

Btw...you never said what kinda species you will be catching. Might change your choices

Depending on the size of the fish, you may need a 6' or 6' 6'' rod. I was always a fan of the Shakespeare Ugly Stik rods. A tool to remove hooks from your skin is good to carry, as well as a pair of fishing pliers with a hook cutter. Not up on the latest gear, but Shimano always had good open face spinning reels.

I would go for the 13 fishing omen black 2, which run about 120 and a diawa tatula ct for about the same, both from tackelwharehouse, for 240.00 you would have a nice reliable setup.

You could go cheaper but me personally I wouldn't as this will be the best bang for the buck. I also would steer clear of combo units from the big brand names as there is better for the price out there.

Btw...you never said what kinda species you will be catching. Might change your choices

I'm looking at pike and perch. Maybe trout.

Honestly, I cant really recommend for anything other than bass and catfish here in texas, but I think you need a heavier action rod for pike, maybe not, idk

I always used a lot of len thomspon spoons. they might not be too flash, but not super dollar expensive. A few different colours and patterns.

Which lake are you nearest?
If there are pike (hammer-handles, swamp sharks, Ukrainian mermaids) you'll need some pretty solid cable or stainless wire leaders. Lake white fish and others not so much. You might be also after walleye, perch, and other similar species, find yourself a local hunting or tackle shop to be sure, lots of the good fishing lakes have competitions depending on the season, so that will tell you a lot as well. Really depends in whats in the lake, and they will likely know. A lot of these fish really vary in size, I've only ever caught little ones on cheap light gear, but norther pike can get to be stupidly big.

If you are on one of the trout lakes, then its even better, you can look into fly fishing, or go for small lures/soft plastics. Its just so hard to say for sure since there are just so many species to target, just depending on which lake.

The DNR (department of natural resources) will also have a bunch of that info, especially the stocked lakes, (don't forget your permits) but might not be fully complete as far as every last detail.

Ice-fishing..... really good boots, and a buddy with all the gear. For the price of a case of beer, you'll get access to a warmer fishing shack than the little pop-up tents. Don't bother with those.

I would go with a 7' St Croix Legend rod. I prefer one piece to two. The rod is available for lure ratings from 1/8-1/2 to 3/8-3/4 and line from 4-10 to 8-17. They retail for less than $100 and I've often seen rebates. For a reel it's hard to beat the Penn Fierce for the price($60 or less). I have seen them much cheaper over the past winter. For light saltwater I've been fishing a Fierce 3000 spooled with 20# PowerPro on a St Croix 7' Legend rod for several years and never been disappointed. I've never fished "up north" but have fished for trout in the local lake and the most consistently productive lure is a chrome Kastmaster with bucktail. Watch and listen when you're around the local fishermen. I think that's a good strategy that applies everywhere. Good luck!

Your rod and reel is fine.
Fresh mono, maybe upgrade to braid. Tie good knots.
Get out there and fish :)

Most fishermen are friendly and helpful.Do like Ebbtide said go fishing.Talk to the locals see what they using especially the ones that are doing good.That will give you a better idea of what to buy.

Join an Angler & Hunter Club there or befriend a few folks that are serious anglers in the area. The amount of money you spend on gear has absolutely nothing to do with knowing how and where to fish. There are a lot of Pike in the lakes in Alberta, which may be fun to catch but are undesirable as food in my opinion. If you've got Perch (how's about Pickerel?) that's great news for fishing in the winter through the ice. And as Ebbtide suggests make sure your line is fresh (new at least once a year), your hooks are sharp and that you learn to tie good knots.

Back