Fishing rods...huh?

The only thing calling my name right now is my wife telling me to quit obsessing over rod...haha

Also, what are your views on the zillion sv tw vs the met hg, just curious.

When I said I was confused it was on thier rod designation with all those crazy names he gives them and what action power they translated to

The only other problem I see getting a rod from Japan is if there is any warranty claims that have to be made, that would suck

As for metanium vs zillion sv tws. I would take the zillion everyday. The old zillion tws is an absolute beast of a reel and can handle light stuff too. The new zillion has the same frame as the new tatula. The new tatula palms like dream. You add that palming and sv spool like my steez sv.....you my friend have a reel that can do it all and make a metanium play catchup.

You are getting into about 6-650 range with the zillion and xx. I'd suggest looking at the daiwa cronos rods and a tatula ct type R. IF you are worried about price.

And yes I know it is in the 600 range but for my most used, sensitivity combo for plastics I want that ONE combo the best I can afford

It is killing me, now I am wanting to go all dobyns fury for the other 5 rigs and a DX 744c HP for the zillion

Much better warranty on the dobyns compared to kistler

It is killing me, now I am wanting to go all dobyns fury for the other 5 rigs and a DX 744c HP for the zillion

Much better warranty on the dobyns compared to kistler

I had dobyns. Needless to say I don't anymore. Their ratings are a bit off....734 Champion was a fantastic spinnerbait rod, but it was hardly a Heavy Fast more like a Medium Heavy Moderate-fast. I disliked fishing any bottom contact plastics on it....I also had a coalition 735. It was a broom stick and extra fast tip. Good rod. I hear the fury are great, and much more aligned with value/price than the savvy. And I hear the DX are the ones you want to get for plastics. That is what pissed me off, I got a champion and paid over 200, not the 270 but still you think it would be better than a moving bait rod. I haven't bought a rod over 150 since. Now I am buying knives, I still want another highend rod but fish so little these days I rather get a blade I can carry and use frequently. If you check that forum out I mentioned there are several dobyns pro staffers and a lot of my buddies fish them. There is also a Kistler pro staffer too if you wanna get everyone's opinion.

The SV spools are ridiculous. My buddy had an alphas and just got a steez sv. He loves them....

From what I have read the new DX HP is just as good as the H3 and balance even better, so kinda a win win for sensitivity and warranty

For the price of a dobyns hp you can have a xx emtf and or a diablo type r...my vote is the zillion sv tws and the emtf xx. If you want to spend 750 I'll sell ya my evergreen kaleido tkic super stallion :D. Then you would have hands down the most versatile sensitive stick money can buy

From what I have read the new DX HP is just as good as the H3 and balance even better, so kinda a win win for sensitivity and warranty

Dobyns always balance well, they were great in that regard. My complaints were with the blank and how it fished, which could be a matter of personal preference.....But yeah would still go with the MB rod. Best bang for buck. I'll be honest too, warranty don't mean squat to me. I have never broke a rod and there are a few times I have done things I shouldn't have. When your paying that much $$$ for a rod, if it breaks it is pretty much your fault and not a manufacturers defect. Guys online that whine and cry about warranty issues are the guys swinging in fish, sloppy deck stepping on tips or throwing them around and want to collect two years later and get a new stick out of the deal. If your, not even gentle, but use common sense and take a second or two to lip a fish or put it out of the way, it won't never be an issue. A defect break will happen the first few outtings.

Last edited:
Agreed. Warranty is last on my mind. Megabass does have a 3 year warranty and I actually have had an x7 break at the handle from epoxy issues. MB sent me a new one the day I called them and I used the tube they sent with the other rod to send in my broken one.

I also am VERY carefully with my equipment as well, I have had a few little breaks but my decent stuff I have, i have had no breakage in 7 years with. I just like a little piece of mind with spending that much on one item but do not plan on breaking anything with sloppy habits

So the MB would be your rod of choice. Just wondering what makes the xx so much better when it uses a 40t toray blank (I may be wrong)
And the H3 uses a NFC blank, I would figure the NFC blank would be better. Probably wrong..idk

Saying what recipe a blank is made with is about like comparing watts from cheap amps to high dollar amps. Megabass does there stuff right and the blanks are extremely thin and crisp. I have a zbone le with the "best" nfc blank and I promise you it is no where near as sensitive as a glx even. The fact that people compare nfc hm to nrx or x7s is just dumb..they must not have fished both. When you use an nrx with 12lb fc and a tungsten weight you can feel a tick on slack line when your weight hits the bottom. You can't feel that with any if the zbones I've made the mistake and fished with. You can feel it with an xx but it's not as crisp as nrx. The mb x7 in comparable specs to the nrx is night and day difference. ..you get a definite "thunk" when that weight hits. Pulling across gravel literally feels like your rod is crack it's that vibrant. The xx won't be like that but it won't be far off from the nrx. Closer to glx. But then again the x7 is twice the price and more. Nrx shouldn't be 500 plus rod. More like 4. Zbone should be 250 imo

Huh...very intresting....I total get the amp analogy, did car audio for 15 years.
So looks like the EMTF is going to be the worm rod and the furys for the rest. The 7 5 etmf will be good for 3\4oz t rig, I use a 5/16 wieght and 6" ring worm plus others but total wieght will be around 3/4oz

Don't be afraid to throw a senko on the thing either. Pm me with how ya like it. The emtf and perfect pitch are the most loved from that line and for good reasons

I realay don't throw many wieghtless but it is good to know that it is capable of doing it.

Haha....sounds kinda funny you telling me to pm ya and tell you how I like it...lol....well

Also a little background on my experience with sensitive rods. The only rod I have had that I would call sensitive is the blue and black JM elite from about 7 years ago, it is a 85 million modulus black with recoil guides. I consider it pretty sensitive so I'm guessing the xx is going to blow my mind...well see

Btw, how is the balance on the xx, I have rod balancers on my worm rods and even though they wiegh more, the tip feels like it floats in the air, seems to help in sensitivity

Last edited:
Back