Fisk “Gambler’s Set”

As someone that is learning to engrave and loves engraving, I would say it DEPENDS on what the engraving is. By that I mean to say that the question to be answered once the engraving is completed....does it enhance the beauty of the knife (or whatever the object may be)?

There are times the answer is obvious and of course there are differences of opinion.

I would like to see the finished knives. So far the engraving on Jerry Fisk's knives that I have seen posted has been superb.

Just my opinion FWIW

Peter

Thanks for your opinions and feed back.

We should see the engraved version of the set in the near future.
It will be interesting as feedback from the thread and otherwise is about 50/50 as to engraving or not.

Kinda funny as Jerry or myself from project start to the present ever considered the pieces not being engraved because it's a component of the overall presentation we are trying to achieve.

At the end of the day, they would look great either way; it's just a matter of preference.

As someone that is learning to engrave and loves engraving, I would say it DEPENDS on what the engraving is. By that I mean to say that the question to be answered once the engraving is completed....does it enhance the beauty of the knife (or whatever the object may be)?

There are times the answer is obvious and of course there are differences of opinion.

I would like to see the finished knives. So far the engraving on Jerry Fisk's knives that I have seen posted has been superb.

Just my opinion FWIW

Peter

absolutely......Jerry has avoided the temptation of adorning his knives with nekkid bulino girl engraving and such. His stuff is very tasteful and old school, whihc I like a LOT!!! :thumbup: :D

The Boot Knife engraving and inlay are complete on one side. We are very pleased with the way it all came together. The fighter should duplicate this. Notice Jerry went back old school on these pieces with an older choil treatment and pin engraving.
Please feel free to share your thoughts positive or negitive.

Bladeshow-07-KJsm-eng-gamb.jpg

Bladeshow-07-KJcloseeng.jpg

Engraving will not add, will only take away, IMHO. The cleanliness and beauty of the stag and steel needs no additional ornament.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Great set, Kevin. An awesome match.

I agree with STeven on the engraving, though. The damascus and stag match so well on each, I think the engraving takes away from that somewhat. I probably would have wanted it if the set were straight carbon steel blades?

But, no complaints here, just opinion. A great project and wonderful pair of Fisk knives! :thumbup:

- Joe

You can engrave just about any knife on the planet.

Some knives just don't benefit from it. This knife does not look "bad" engraved, no, it is a beautiful knife.

It would have been "better" to leave it, to let the (dyed) stag and the (etched) damascus speak loudly.

All women look good or better with a little makeup, but there are the rare few that really don't need it.;)

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Much better engraved then without. This is really a top notch set. I like it better than the set Jerry had at LR with sheep horn. That said, the set at LR was outstanding also. Jerry just out does himself each time;) Like the old school engraving!

Kevin,

Jerry did a great job for you! The engraving works beautifully!

P

Very nice engraving. Kind of French looking to my eye.

Here's more photos.

Fighter Guard good match with the Boot Knife:
BS-07-KJ-2.jpg

I love that knobby Stag:
BS-07-KJ-4.jpg

The Fighter:
BS--07-KJ-1.jpg

The "Gambler's Set":
BS-07-KJ-3.jpg

Bravo Mr Fisk & Mr Jones, what a great team! Of knives and design!:p

Thanks Chuck as it's an honor to be mentioned as a team with Jerry, but all I supplied was an idea and a few "what ifs", Jerry supplied all the hard work and his magic.

Thanks for all the comments.

Absolutely stunning set. IMHO the engraving adds to the beauty of the knives, which are certainly impressive without the engraving as well.

Given a choice, I would choose having the engraving. Mr Fisk definitely deserves his due once again!

Thanks for the pictures,
Peter

To have matched this set, with these materials this well was an awesome piece of work I thought. I was concerned about adding the engraving as I read through this, but figured the man who had the skill and talent to make the knives would really know best, and I should wait and see.

After seeing them engaved, I thought they were beautiful, but possibly too much of a good thing, what with all the textures and patterns already there.

After going back and forth on the before and after pictures I have to say that for me, while the knives definitely stand up without the engraving, it definitely fits and adds to the overall appearance- to the point where now I miss it when I look at the before pictures.

You are a very lucky man! Either of those knives would be great, but as a set- phenomenal!

From a design standpoint, I think the engraving adds a tremendous amount of visual interest to the knives. That was the right call IMHO.

Back