Fit and Finish - A Long Story

Man, this thread is gotten silly.

GI's only buy what's on sale in the PX? Really? They buy what they can afford. Why? Because their life may depend on it.
If your an Operator and are willing to go into a fight with a 30 dollar Sanrenmu, so be it. If it's a CRK or Emerson that's fine.
If your life depends on it, you buy the best tool you can afford. It's like comparing a SIG to a Glock. I dare to say that Emerson is the Glock of knives. Nothing wrong with that. Some people will prefer a SIG some won't. I'm sure there are plenty of folks in the SF community that use his knives because A) they work and B) they can afford them. I'm also sure there is some guy's out there trusting their lives to the Walmart Special.

Man, this thread is gotten silly.

GI's only buy what's on sale in the PX? Really? They buy what they can afford. Why? Because their life may depend on it.
If your an Operator and are willing to go into a fight with a 30 dollar Sanrenmu, so be it. If it's a CRK or Emerson that's fine.
If your life depends on it, you buy the best tool you can afford.

If you trust your life with a folder you'd better rethink your tactics. Get a fixed blade. A $60 fixed blade will endure far better than a $200 folder. I'm speaking from experience.

This is my experience as well. I've had 6 or 7 Emersons (not a lot, compared to some) and every one has never needed anything from the time I opened the box until today. They just go straight into my pocket to be used. Like pmek5 said, I like the way Emerson finishes his knives. They look like the tools that they are. If I want jewelry, I'll buy a ring. If I buy a tool, I want it to look like one and I don't want to pay extra for someone to polish it up and take out a few tooling marks when I'm gonna put more marks on it just by using it. I'm not worried about doing anything with my Emersons, even when they're brand new, because they already look like the tools that they are.

If you don't want to pay extra for someone to pollish it up.....then why pay $200+ for an unpollished knife?

If they are not going to pollish it up or at least attempt to make it look like they care about the quality then the price should drop about $100 per knife.

If you don't want to pay extra for someone to pollish it up.....then why pay $200+ for an unpollished knife?

If they are not going to pollish it up or at least attempt to make it look like they care about the quality then the price should drop about $100 per knife.
Based on what? How do you know what Emerson's costs are (batch producing knives in a small family run operation, using good materials, etc.)?

I love the complaints and arguments like this. The fact that so many models are consistently out of stock all over the place, and the reputation that they have amongst those that actually use their knives hard (as tools and otherwise), rather than simply fondling them and worrying about "Ooo machining marks" or a pivot that is too tight out of the box, well these things speak for themselves. Aesthetics are not the measure of quality with a tool like an Emerson knife. Design, and effective functionality are the measure of quality. Not to mention the way that Emerson stands behind their product.

Why do people complain? I brought a roadhouse and sure, it doesn't look as pretty as my other knives that cost way less but I love to use it and don't regret the purchase one bit.

Only Emerson knife I own is the Super Karambit. I don't intend to own any others.

While I agree with the majority of what everyone is saying about poor fit and finish and how the knife just feels "Cheap"

After a year of using the Karambit it still looks like I just bought it yesterday! Not because it held up nicely, its because new out of the box the knife looks old and used. LOL.

Gosh I sure hate when my knives don't come absolutely perfect out of the box. Ahh....first world problems....they sure are a pain in the ass. But really, if you aren't satisfied with the level of fit and finish on Emerson knives, just buy from another brand. Simple as that IMHO.

Last edited:
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the fit and finish on any brand new Emerson. Some open their box and imagine that they are about to see a product that came off of a mechanized assembly line and that every one of them will be identical to the next.

I have a pricey knife like that. It screams high end duplicate of the last high end duplicate. If I went and bought that same one right now I wouldn't be able to tell the really new one from the one I have now. Down to the position of the heads of the screws I bet.

We don't have to throw our arms up and say, "Well they're tools and they're made to be used and I am not going to coddle it because it's not made for that." and so on.

It's a brand new knife that didn't come off a mechanized assembly line. The parts aren't being cloned and mass produced by the second aided by high speed computers and assembled by robots to exacting specifications.

Your left scale hasn't been filed quite enough to exactly match the liner edge? You had to tighten one of the screws? Had to adjust the pivot?

There are alot of other brands who can accomodate someone who wants duplicates.

I can offer no more about fit and finish from my perspective or from what Ive seen and read. They are brand new Emerson knives and they are awesome.

How do you people find these buried threads?

Wow, this is old. But I still see the same complaints. The thing that I don't like is when people go on about how it's not supposed to look great anyway. I don't know, I've unboxed one and I watched a lot of videos of people unboxing them and they always look great. Soon I'll be unboxing another.

When offering that kind of blanket statement, like it's a hard use knife and what not, it almost seems to me that you're agreeing with the people who feel they're getting a sub par product. I disagree with them wholeheartedly. I'm glad I got that off my chest. Now let's see if this thread goes back to sleep for a while.

Yea Ok, cute I get it. But does there REALLY need to be sand in between the pivots and screws of every knife you people send out ?

Yea Ok, cute I get it. But does there REALLY need to be sand in between the pivots and screws of every knife you people send out ?
Can you stop shitting in Emersons house? Do you even own an Emerson knife? Thanks

^ lmfao

I believe one can be judged by how many critics and followers they have. EE is doing very well from what I can see.

Last edited:

The Persian I received directly from EKI a few weeks ago was easily the best, smoothest, centered, razor-sharp factory knife I've ever received. And I'm a junkie, right ROLF?

Back