Five day solo canoe camping Fall Ontario

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by kgd, Oct 17, 2020.

1. kgd

kgd

Feb 28, 2007
    Hi folks,

Its been awhile since I wrote and awhile since I did any outdoor activity due to the whole COVID situation. I'm blessed with a job that kept me on but also because of what I do it has been near impossible this year to take any time off. I finally managed a week for some fall camping and re-visited The Massausauga Park, a relatively tame, Ontario Provincial Park. Knowing it would be an easy route, I loaded up a full stack of photography gear and went to witness fall colours in all their splendour. I think this year I hit the week just perfectly.

The Massasauga Park is located just south of the town of Parry Sound about 2 h drive north of Toronto in the Muskoka region. The park is backcountry only and provides access via water to a number of small inland lakes as well as the Parry Sound embayment of Georgian Bay, Lake Huron. My route was 26 km in distance with 12 portages that together totaled 4 km (lol 20 km of walking in when you factor I triple carried most of the ports).

This is also the first time in a few years that I took a solo canoe trip. Last year on my fall break I opted for a 90 km hike in Algonquin Park stepping along the Western Upland Trail. Solo canoe in the fall is a special thing and normally very dry although on this trip I had a lot of rain that fortunately tended to occur mainly in the nights as opposed to the days.

A few pics from the trip...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How many knife handles could Rick Marchand make from this big'ole burl???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oyster mushrooms were plentiful on the ironwood and I harvested a few to eat feeling pretty confident in their i.d. (I used to grow oyster mushrooms from beach logs seeded out and felt very comfortable eating these guys; well I didn't get diarrhea and stomach cramps nor death so I think I was right ;). This might be the only really bushcraft-like thing I did this trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pomsbz, Houlahound, mewolf1 and 6 others like this.
  2. kgd

kgd

Feb 28, 2007
    Woodprocessing tools: new version of the trailblazer take-down buck saw and my Les Strout Temagami Knife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Youtube Video:

Pomsbz, Houlahound, mewolf1 and 8 others like this.
  3. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Beautiful pictures. Wish I could have been there.

kgd likes this.
  4. ilten

ilten

Feb 10, 2002
    Beautiful. I hope your borders will be open again next year.....

kgd likes this.
  5. KuRUpTD

KuRUpTD

Aug 5, 2008
    You're a lucky man Ken ... that's some beautiful country. Thanks for posting.

How is Rick?

6. kgd

kgd

Feb 28, 2007
    Your welcome. Rick is now living on the east coast so I don't get to see him very much anymore. I bet he is having a great time in his more wild location though.

Ken

7. Mikel_24

Mikel_24

Sep 19, 2007
    Great trip and beautiful pictures!

On the other hand, you should be ashamed for not chopping, at the very least, half a docen full grown trees with an undersized knife just to prove it can be done... shame on you! :D :D

I am soooo jealous of the scenery and the trip itself.

Mikel

kgd likes this.
  8. kgd

kgd

Feb 28, 2007
    Mikel - for most people 4" is plenty enough to get the job done....but I understand that for some people 6+" or more are necessary to achieve pleasure :)

Mikel_24 likes this.