Fix my Talwar

Bought a Vaquero on amazon I bent spring hold on now works easy release it works. Bought a talwar 4inch not on amazon cant return at 600 its closed at 9 it will hold there and I can flick it open or easy push to 12 o'clock. At about 8- 8.5 oclock it snaps back to closed and its this point that makes it difficult to open with1 hand and thumb it's like a little hill to hump over to 12 0'clock. Any suggestions on sanding or opening. The girl at cold steel could not really give answers about talwar or even the washers they just don't know?

Bought a Vaquero on amazon I bent spring hold on now works easy release it works. Bought a talwar 4inch not on amazon cant return at 600 its closed at 9 it will hold there and I can flick it open or easy push to 12 o'clock. At about 8- 8.5 oclock it snaps back to closed and it’s this point that makes it difficult to open with1 hand and thumb it's like a little hill to hump over to 12 0'clock. Any suggestions on sanding or opening. The girl at cold steel could not really give answers about talwar or even the washers they just don't know?
Try oiling it first. If that isn’t enough, try loosening the pivot a little. If that isn’t enough, then bending the spring a little should ease the tension. I would not sand anything.

Or you could use the thumb plate to snag on your pocket as you pull the knife out to open it, instead of using your thumb.

Try oiling it first. If that isn’t enough, try loosening the pivot a little. If that isn’t enough, then bending the spring a little should ease the tension. I would not sand anything.

Or you could use the thumb plate to snag on your pocket as you pull the knife out to open it, instead of using your thumb.
Thanks it does work well on reverse draw from left pocket I did oil thanks for other suggestions just needed input before i proceed.

Ill take a wild guess and say you modded you talwar spring also. all you can do is disassemble and try to unmod it until it works ok

Last edited:
Only did the vaquero spring it took 2 thumbs or a screwdriver to close blade all I have done with talwar is a little oil so far and loosened the pivot still springy at 8-8.5 o'clock. As the other poster said it could be the spring but i am trying the least invasive things first and go up the line if I have to. Thanks

I took apart and cleaned my talwar xl and it helped. Then I pulled it back apart and polished the internals and deburred the edges. Not recommended if you don't know what you're doing. The spring in mine had a nasty sharp jagged edge at the contact point with the lock that I buffed just the contact point to smooth it (no sanding or bending). It fixed my problem but I I only recommend that if you know what you're doing and you don't plan to sell it as it will kill resale for some people when you disclose the modifications.

Thank you a very succucint and logical execution of steps as were the other suggestions today when I get home I plan to do the least invasive test/work and move my way up as needed, I do have a dremel and have polished the slide on a few of my firearms not really knifes as of yet but if I work slow and test each step I think I have less chance of failure. The vaqureo was an easy fix I bent spring slow and tested each time to see how much more I needed to do or not. I am a new member to forums not to knifes and do like your guys input very helpful.

If I understand your post, there is nothing wrong with the knife other than you are finding it challenging to (roll) open?

The talwar has a disk doesn't it? I have the XL but once I cleaned mine it opened just fine. I went back into mine because I wanted buttery smooth.

You could always mod to wave open . Either buy a "Snaggletooth " or DIY .

My EDC has a simple twisted wire opener :

Talwar has a thumb plate for waving already. OP said it works fine, just hard to roll it open.

Ill take a wild guess and say you modded you talwar spring also. all you can do is disassemble and try to unmod it until it works ok
Paul it is difficult to open and at that 8-8.5 position snaps back hard into battery if you will with that said I only want to mitigate some of that snappiness if i were to use thumb stud. My 2006 Japanese voyager and the new vaquero have a little snap but nothing like the talwar. My use is purely stand by and defensive so the talwar will left pocket ride for reverse draw and voyager or vaquero rt pocket. My voyager stopped a pit bull from further attack at sunset beach ca and when stationed in Spain 79 a huge Italian switch blade I had detoured a man intent on cutting at an English pub. A little less snap is all I'm looking for unless you other talwar guys 4 inch tell me that's how yours are? Cold steel could not tell me. So far the forums answers have been A-1 thanks

UPDATE: Took apart knife polished areas with flitz and q-tips bent spring a little walla! shes no voyager but much better as a result. I did discover one thing I will pose to you guys I found copper washers only (2) no nylon? Most guys I see open these cold steel knifes (utube) take out 4 so any talwar guys Have any idea? and if so I need to source aftermarket nylon washers which I already posed that question when I called cold steel she said internals not known so she could not tell me size.

I don't, but I think a good grease would take the place of them just fine. I use a low temp high rpm grease in mine.

Thanks got grease from my builds might try another cold steel rep as well get e mail to Taiwan.
I wonder why yours came with only PB. It’s possible they switched, OR… you got a counterfeit. Hope not, but there are counterfeit Talwars. I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t use the nylon/PB combo.

If we can determine you have a genuine one, I have extra sets of the correct washers that will fit your knife. Any way you can post pictures?

Back