Recommendation? Fixed blade 5-7 inch great slicer

MTHall720

Gold Member
Looking for production mid range FB which is fairly light and a really good slicer, with a good balance. . Would prefer the blade not be black Plain edge only. Not looking for a chopper or camp knife
Thanks very much.

Hollow grinds come to mind, like Buck's fixed blades.

When you mention 5-7 inches, do you mean blade length or overall length?

Great suggestions above. One that I've heard about but have yet to try (on my list) is the Carothers field knife. It's supposed to be a great slicer as it's thin behind the edge despite how thick the blade stock is. You may still get some friction on the primary bevels in things like cardboard, but I have no experience to confirm.

The buck 119 or their open season knife series comes to mind. The 119 is pretty light for the size as well.

I think the green river is what I would go with, regardless of price. I had a Sheffield Green River and it was one of the sliciest knives I've ever used after touching the stock edge up. It's low end and the steel isn't the best, but it's perfectly serviceable.

For clarification, what is "mid-range" for pricing? I can see that going many ways if you consider Busse as a high-end so $200 falls into mid-range and under $100 is low-range. I ask because there are a few custom knives or high-end ($200 for me) production (LT Wright specifically) that I've had that are pretty great slicers but the price is around or north of $200.

There is a full flat grind Buck 119 out there. For under $100. It’s a “build out”. Not regular production but readily available at the present time.

Price range? Not sure what your "mid range" price is. Linked to BHQ for easy reference of knife.

I own a BR Bravo 1.25 . Great knife! Several steel and handle options. Bottom end of your blade size at 5".
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Bark-River-Knives-Bravo-1-Fixed--72544

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-Steel-3V-SRK-Search-Rescue--34576

My neighbor has this Lionsteel. I sharpen it for him. I like it. Very nice sheath.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--LionSteel-D5-Fixed-Blade-Knife--67466

The above 3 might be thick for some people, but keeping it sharp and good edge geometry will make em slice just fine.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks interesting. Thin blade and very light. Not sure how fast you need it or when it ships tho. Looks "Mora like" with 3V steel.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-202-Leuku-Fixed-Blade--111298

The Buck Vanguard Series comes in several variations and cuts like a razor.
k2qOHcA.jpg

ken-onion-dark-matter-tsukiji_1_bf4e25ec29ed7b59f62cc2a0fd952965.jpg

Ken Onion "Dark Matter"
About as slicey as it gets. More of an outdoors kitchen knife, this blade is very thin but very very sharp.
CTS-BD1N @ 64 HRC very rust resistant and tough enough considering the hardness.
Very slicey but not anything you'd want to go hacking at anything with. If you do anything but slice it will chip.
I love to bring mine with me fishing and I use it everyday to cook with. The sheath is nice too, especially if you soak it in warm water and press fit it to the knife.

Great suggestions above. One that I've heard about but have yet to try (on my list) is the Carothers field knife. It's supposed to be a great slicer as it's thin behind the edge despite how thick the blade stock is. You may still get some friction on the primary bevels in things like cardboard, but I have no experience to confirm.

The buck 119 or their open season knife series comes to mind. The 119 is pretty light for the size as well.

I think the green river is what I would go with, regardless of price. I had a Sheffield Green River and it was one of the sliciest knives I've ever used after touching the stock edge up. It's low end and the steel isn't the best, but it's perfectly serviceable.

For clarification, what is "mid-range" for pricing? I can see that going many ways if you consider Busse as a high-end so $200 falls into mid-range and under $100 is low-range. I ask because there are a few custom knives or high-end ($200 for me) production (LT Wright specifically) that I've had that are pretty great slicers but the price is around or north of $200.
For my budget I’m trying not to go over $200.00 since to be honest that is the amount I am hoping to get for a custom Bowie I’m selling to fund my next purchase.

There is a full flat grind Buck 119 out there. For under $100. It’s a “build out”. Not regular production but readily available at the present time.
I had no idea there was a build out available. I love the 110 series

Thanks very much friends. These suggestions have given me good food for thought as my Dad used to say. My Dad has inspired my love of blades and guns ever since I was a kid in the 60s.

I recommend you look at the Buck 117 in 5160 from Copper & Clad, it is a 4.5 inch blade, so a little smaller, but I really like mine in Dymondwood. Great price for about 75.00. Maybe not a great slicer, but I imagine slices better than the 119.

Last edited:
Another vote for the 119.

It’s A 6 inch blade at 7 or so ounces with the aluminum and black phenolic handle and can be had in a few steels for various price points.

2.2mm thin
Svord%20Curved%20Skinner%20-%205.75%20Inches%20-%20Mahogany%20Handle%20Model%20%20677BB%20copy.jpg

Curved Skinner 5 3/4
Model 677BB
Length of Blade (inches) 5 3/4"
Over All Length (inches) 10 3/4"
Blade Shape Curved Skinner
Handle Material Mahogany and Brass
Steel Specifications 15N20
Blade Thickness (mm) 2.2mm
Sheath Leather

Svord_870BB_Lge2.jpg

General Purpose 6 1/4
Model 870BB
Length of Blade (inches) 6 1/4"
Over All Length (inches) 11"
Blade Shape General Purpose
Handle Material Mahogany and Brass
Steel Specifications 15N20
Blade Thickness (mm) 2.2mm
Sheath Leather
http://www.svord.com/index.php?id_category=20&controller=category

Outlet of new thoughts, what about the Buck 105 or Dave Ferry of Horsewright knives hadmentioned he had a few old Green river blanks he made into some nice knives. The one called the Scandinavian Dadley ($) looked cool. Not sure of prices.

Back