Fixed blade fighter

Here is one of my new knife designs ready to go. All I am waiting for now is the custom molded Kydex sheaths. They are designed for defense as well as utillity and the offset handle lends the knife well to general cutting tasks. The curve you see just back of the blade is for added protection from slippage as well as an auxillary gripping position for doing fine, detailed work.

Each will have the above mentioned sheath with TekLock, black G10 scales and black paracord lanyards. The blades are 4 1/4" long, overall length is 9", thickness is 3/16". Each is D2 heat treated to HRc 58-60. In the future I might use CPM S30V however. At the time these photos were taken I had not yet done the thumb ramp so all will have this feature. I am also thinking of putting a swedge on the small top angle, what do you think?

Anyone interested in ordering one when the sheaths come in just shoot me a PM and we can talk specifics. I can do other finishes such as bead blasted, satin or any number of mirror polishes.

2006_0817Image0081.jpg

2006_0817Image0076.jpg

2006_0817Image0063.jpg

2006_0817Image0080.jpg

2006_0817Image0068.jpg

2006_0817Image0070.jpg

2006_0817Image0073.jpg

Man... That looks fearsome. and heavy ! for some reason it looks much thicker than 3/16 to me.
I think the swedge and thumbramp are excellent ideas , I'm wondering though for a defense type knife , wouldnt it better off if the point was finer ?
I mean dont get me wrong , it looks like it could penetrate a vault , but the point does look a bit beefy.
Pretty cool overall though , I also like the finish on it. :thumbup:

I'm a big fan of this type of blade. I think you definitely need to pursue the swedge idea. It will address the "beefy" comment above.

Thanks fellas I appreciate the praise, this is one of my favorite designs that I have done. It is not the one closest to me but it ranks up there. Yes Rebel the tip could be more agressive, however I did not want to threaten tip strength. I feel the swedge will give it more than enough penetrating power without compromising strength.

About the finish, I get about a 50-50 on opinions when it comes to this. Half seem to want a bead blasted finish and the other half like the marbled. Either way each order can be custom tailored as far as finish goes between the two choices.

Rebel- actually it is quite light, say in comparison to an M9 bayonet it is about one third (1/3) the weight. So I doubt very seriously that will be an issue. Some of my designs are actually 1/4" thick however as you can see I did not go that route with this piece.

While all my knives are custom made I use processes that increase effeciency and consistency of product outcome. This way I can handle a decent amount of orders while still able to market a custom product.

What do you think about the depth of the grind it's self? I have recieved a few messages from other sources saying that some think they are not deep enough. I chose the depth shown for two reasons, reason one being there is still plenty of meat in the blade to provide ample blade strength. Second while the grind may not be super deep it is more than enough (I have tested this) for a good cutting edge. What is more, I have not put on the fine micro edge which will be added once ready for shipping. I have cut numerous, very heavy cardboard boxes with the knife you see here without any indication of overdue edge drag.

Another thing about the point as far as defense goes, as it is I was able to penetrate medium industrial grade carboard with ease. Skin and flesh are far more yielding than normal cardboard so I see no issue with this. Not to mention the edge geometry will lend even better to penetration once the swedge is added.

I forgot to mention in my original post that the price for this knife is $150 plus shipping and handling. Thanks for your generous compliments, I am glad you like this design. One thing I forgot to mention in my original post, these are double ground, not chisel ground. I just wanted to point that out.

Here is another photo using the grip I intended while designing the knife...

2006_0817Image0067.jpg

-Olaf Anderson
Anderson Knife and Tool

Included in my last actual posting, but it is way down at the bottom of the post so I can see how it was missed.

This knife is $150

olaf_yahoo said:
Another thing about the point as far as defense goes, as it is I was able to penetrate medium industrial grade carboard with ease. Skin and flesh are far more yielding than normal cardboard so I see no issue with this. Not to mention the edge geometry will lend even better to penetration once the swedge is added.

I must cordially disagree that cardboard is tougher to penetrate than skin. The two react in very different manners to the point of a knife. As long as the edge is very sharp, just about anything will cut its way into cardboard, even a blunt tipped skinner. Skin favors a fine point more than cardboard, and this will be greatly magnified if the edge is even slightly dull. But yes, the swedge will help.

I like your design olaf and I like the idea of a thumbramp and swedge I think not only will it add more as far as usefullness but I like the looks of those things on a blade as well. Have you thought about cordwrapping the holes or doing a leather wrap?

I have thought about this but as I do not know how to do a professional job of that I think I am going to stick with textured black G10 for now.

In the future I may offer other handle types besides G10.

Back