Fixed blade for deer hunting

boobar

Gold Member
I am looking for a good deer gutting knife for the upcoming hunting season. I am a big fan of Benchmade and I was wondering if the 140 Nimravus or the 180 Outbounder would make good gutting knives? I would also consider other brands that you guys might suggest. Let me know what you think and what you guys use out there in the woods.

I use a Schrade Sharpfinger. The sheath that comes with it isn't much good. I carry it in a concealex sheath from Eric (Normark) at On/Scene Tactical.
The Outbounder should make a good deer knife too.

Paul

While I will second a Dozier for general purpose work (amazing knives at such low prices) since you stated you are looking for specifically a Deer hunting blade let me direct you to a new company that I found out about at the BLADE show this year.

The Company is called Virginia Blade I handled all three models and was very impressed. The Steel they use is either 154CM or ATS-34, the handles are very tough and all three models were very comfortable to hold. Thick Leather sheaths are included.

I don't usually like a Guthook on a blade since they are often not sharp/pointy enough and are hard to resharpen, however the Guthooks on these are Hollow Ground and are VERY sharp. I think any of these would be a superb choice as a Skinning blade.

Also, If you can find an older version of the CRKT Cobuk Skinner , these are really good knives at a VERY inexpensive price. Thick Kydex sheath, decent steel, ergonomic handle. The problem is that CRKT discontinued the Gut Hook version of this model last year and its hard to find one that HAS the Guthook (the new ones do not).

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Yes, the Benchmade 180 Outbounder would be an excellent gutting/skinning knife, as would the Benchmade 190 Drop-Point Hunter...Both are made with 440C stainless steel and have nice wood handles.

I purchased a wayne Whitley custom sknner this year at the chesapeake blade show ats34 and a work of art as well, blue bone scales with black micarta liners and hand tooled leather sheath, very reasonable price. I hope to get a chance to use it this year if I'm lucky

If you want to try a great new blade on the cheap then check out the new Fecas Gamer by Benchmade. It won best buy of the year at Blade and is a nice 440c hunter. They are less than $30 and have a size and shape that would be great for deer. I am getting one for myself when they hit stores in a couple of weeks!

I second the Bark River recommendation. I like my Dozier Master Skinner, but the ease of sharpening the convex edges on the BRK&T Woodland and Highland suits me better as does the pricing, $55 - $60 vs. $195.

I have been happy with my 440C Benchmade Outbounder. It also comes in D2 now. I have field-dressed about 10 deer with mine. The ergodynamics are good for this purpose.

Cold Steel Master Hunter W/Carbon V, takes and holds a great edge, flat ground w/distle taper (great slicer ), handle doesn't slip when wet, mine has been a great deer knife IMO.

Here's another vote for Dozier. Bob makes awesome working knives. Just the right shape and size... razor sharp... they stay sharp longer than any other hunting/working knives I have used and are easy to resharpen. You can't go wrong with a Dozier. My pref is for the Yukon Pro Skinner. It has served me well for many years.

AJ

While I can't argue with a Dozier knife, I have to stay strong with the knives of Alaska cleaver. Can't say enough about them. Big chunk of steel but handles very well, no point to get hung up on any of those great smelling guts (kidding), holds a superb edge. My only problem is the weight of the thing, a little over a pound. If you are packing out, any added weight is not welcomed.

For field dressing, let me echo other's advice and say look for a drop point blade about 4" or so, you'll be glad you did. Some people prefer a swept tip (like a Sharpfinger), but when both hands are up inside the chest cavity that tip can be hard to control. Save that one for skinning back at camp.

There are many models in that basic style and the one to choose depends on the usual factors of personal preference balancing cost vs. necessary performance level vs. your sense of style.

IMO, look at the Buck Vanguard, Bark Rivers or Doziers to get a good sense of what a well designed hunter looks like.

I replaced my 20 year old $20 Schrade Sharpfinger last year with a Buck Vanguard with cocobolo handle for $39 at wallyworld. Blade is about 3.75" drop point. I don't care for guthooks, but they make a guthook model also that is supposed to be state of the art. It's 'only' 420HC, but easily went two deer between sharpenings. After a little adjustment period, I prefer the drop point to the trailing tip overall. Great ergonomics in multiple grips, but the coco gets slippery. Cheap leather sheath, but serviceable. I think it's an excellent fixed blade EDC as well. They make them in a textured handle also, probably kraton. My wallyworld has the buck alpha hunter on closeout/clearance sale now for $39. If it drops any lower I'll probably get it just for grins. You can spend $900 more and not get any better than the Vanguard...

Before you buy I suggest that you go to some sporting goods store and handle a Buck Vanguard. This is almost a gold standard for ergonomics. As Stich says you may want to pick one with the cheaper rubbery handle for the most secure grip. Once you've handled the Vanguard you can be more critical of the features of other knives. The Vanguard should get you through a couple deer before it needs sharpening.

Back