Fixed Blade Help

boobar

Gold Member
I am looking to get my first fixed blade knife and I need some opinions on what is good. I am looking for something along the lines of a Benchmade Nimravus, Cold Steel Recon Tanto, or a Fallkniven A-1. Any opinions on these knives would be great or let me know what else is good. I am looking to spend in the neighborhood of $100.00, that is why I selected these couple as opposed to a Busse or Reeve. Let the opinions fly my way. Thanks

$100 range, You could also check out Swamp Rats and Grecos!! There are allot of models to choose from in that price range and you could get two Beckers for that. I do not own one personally, but I have heard nothing but good things about them. Let us know which you end up getting and a small review too :)

What's the intended use?

I second the Swamprat idea. I have several and they are great no nonsense knives for reasonable prices.

dave

I have a Fallkniven A1. It is a thick blade, and yet cuts reasonable well considering how thick the edge is also. Balanced for effective chopping - considering its size. Full tang and VERY strong. VG10 holds its edge quite well, and isn't all that tough to sharpen. Has a good kydex sheath. However, I personally don't care for the grip, especially when wet it feels insecure. Also, the black coating on the coated version isn't all that durable.

I agree that it depends on the use. For an overall, general-use knife I would reccomend the Ka-Bar next generation ($98.00). Advantages are:
- An excellent grip
- A thinner blade geometry for improved slicing, whittling, etc.
- Epoxy coated 440A steel - virtually maintenence free.
- Neutral balance to handle everything from delicate work to light chopping.
- Good kydex sheath.

Disadvantages are:
- Not as strong as the A1 - especially for prying, etc.
- Doesn't hold an edge nearly as well as VG10.

Hope this helps,
Dan

The Camillus/Becker BK-2 Campanion, BK-7 Combat/Utility, or the new BK-10 would also be good knives to take a look at.

Originally posted by Mississippi_Dave
What's the intended use?

I am looking for a general use fixed blade. I am kinda on a Benchmade kick right now so I am leaning towards the Nimravus, but there a lot of knives out there.

The F1 is an amazing value. Convex ground VG10, it cuts like a demon and stays sharp - I'm sure the A1 performs as well. I prefer the F1's drop point for general use rather than the 140's more aggressive blade.

I love my 140HS also, but it's a very thin blade and more suited perhaps for cutting and slashing than general utility. The Fallkniven sheath is ok, but BM should have the new locking kydex out for the 140 by now.

Both are great knives, but for all around utility the Fallkniven would be my choice.

The SwampRats would be worth a look also - can't say enough good about Busse and I've heard the Swamprats perform in the same league.

There is also the D2 Kabar Impact, might be a bit pricey though. D2 with G10 scales in a basic Kabar design sounds mighty utilitarian, but I haven't had any experience with one.

Did I mention, I really like the F1? Good luck in your search...

xsrdzx beat me to it, like he said the F1 is a great knife. I have one and use it for
skinning / dressing deer. No problems with it.

dave

i have ordered a Benchmade Nimravus 140 m2.

hey its made m2 high speed...steel!!
the material is the same as wat i have in my work place. i used M2 inserts in milling and turning process.

any one has it, 140 m2? Can it be use for chopping?

I have a 140HS and think it's great, but the lack of a guard and its particular pommel make it more of an indoor knife.

Have you checked out Bark River's stuff? They have a lot of classy hunting and skinning knives in A2 for around $70 direct.

Boobar,
BENCHMADE Nimravus and Fallkniven A1 are so different knives that they no way can play in the same league. Nimravus has 3-mm thick blade what makes it pretty good (although not the best) all-around fixed blade with eventual tactical and self-defense capabilities. A1 with 6-mm thick blade in fact is rather sharpened prybar than knife. It is indestructible but somewhat (gently saying) cumbersome for precise cutting what makes dominant amount of knife use, for me at least. Also it is significantly heavier than I agree to carry on myself...

All Fallkniven knives have somewhat thicker blades than it is necessary for cutting tasks. This makes them exceptionally strong, you can convince yourself checking Test section at their web page.
My favorite Fallkniven is F1 although I would like it to have at least 1-mm thinner blade. Very handy piece and nice cutter. If you are going to use your knife for prying or/and like somewhat bigger knives take a look onto their S1 Forest Knife. My advice would be to go with A1 only in case if you would be able to break S1 blade when prying, in another words – if you are somewhat onto superman side :D

The handles on the Kabar Impact fixed blades are in fact micarta. The spear point 1461 is available in D2 for around $110 with a nice Eagle sheath. Superb materials for that price.

The Swamprat Knives Howling Rat has all the right stuff also, Resiprene handles and SR101 steel with that Busse double convex grind, available direct for under $90.

CowG- the Nimravus a slicer, not really a chopper. The steel is up to the task, but the knife is feather light and better suited to making efficient cuts, and comfortable carry. It's biased more towards tactical or self defense applications than to cavorting in the woods.

For an all around utility fixed blade, I'd stick with an F1 for the reasons already mentioned, but if you want a bigger blade I'm sure the A1 is also a great knife.

What about an Al Mar Sere Operator, looks like a good knife. I have an Al Mar Sere 2000 folder and it is awesome.

I think you would be well off with a BK&T BK-10. It is like the BK-2, but has a pointier point.

Back