Fixed blade knife breaking in pocket?

So I am thinking of carrying a fixed blade knife in my front pants pocket. I am somewhat of a big guy. I am wondering if the knife blade might snap off or such? Not sure what type of knife I will carry yet but I am thinking something like a 5 to 7 inch tactical knife. Something like a Kabar or Glock knife. Do you see any issues with the knife breaking or the sheath breaking or any issues other than it possibly being uncomfortable?

Before you ask I have checked and this is legal in my area.

Please try and keep this topic on topic and please be respectful and such.

Thanks

Hey mate what about a gerber strong arm it has a sheath that can be warn horizontal or vertical maybe it would be more comfortable wearing it on your belt at the mid of your back. John

Last edited:
Any fixed blade of 5-7 inches will more than likely stab you in the thigh when you go to sit down. If you are gonna do this I'd go with a solid/polymer type sheath to prevent injury.

Ummmm.... Carrying a fixed blade that size in your pocket seems.... Let's just say impractical (and I'm seriously biting my tongue).

But the question is, what stress do you imagine the knife would be under that could possibly cause the blade to snap in your pocket? I'm trying to figure out how that's even a concern.

Last edited:
Ummmm.... Carrying a fixed blade that size in your pocket seems.... Let's just say impractical (and I'm seriously biting my tongue).

But the question is, what stress do you imagine the knife would be under that could possibly cause The node to snap in your pocket? I'm trying to figure out how that's even a concern.

Just everyday stress from bending walking siting standing crouching kneeling kicking punching etc etc.

I know it will be uncomfortable and possibly impractical and I might even stop doing it after a month or such. But in knives and fighting and such 1 inch longer is 1 inch stronger.

I just have yet to find a good way to carry my 12 inch Bowie knife concealed that does not require me to wear a jacket. I am not a jacket person and in the summer they get very very hot.

I carry one of my 10-13" OAL fixed blades everyday on my belt vertical in high ride leather sheaths I make myself. I have no issues with concealment or comfort but I am 34/32 pants size, not sure how that would work with your body type. I also wear untucked button up shirts.

Don't listen to the bashing, mate.
I had your same doubts and I also tried it. So far I've only been able to carry comfortably and easily accessible two fixed blades of that size in the pocket.

First one was the Cold Steel Desperado (5" blade), clipped to the RFP and quickly accessible by grabbing the handle and drawing backwards, the knife presenting itself in tip-forward, edge down position.

20160102_090543_zpstcs1x58m.jpg

20160102_090533_zpswskmgure.jpg

The second one was the Aqua Salt (4.6" blade), clipped in the RFP tip-down, edge in so when accessing it it is taken out in an icepick grip.
None caused problems, even when sitting, and could be quickly grabbed. Sheath and knife stood all the daily activities perfectly fine.

20151209_155706_zpsvdduqb7a.jpg

Leather sheaths are better carried on the belt, or IWB, and larger knives as well, but I found those two very appropriate for pocket carry.
OFC smaller ones like the ARK or CRKT minimalist fit all inside the pocket, sheath included,

20160102_090918_zpsxsiap1un.jpg

The most comfy carry I have found is horizontal cross draw on my belt.
Easily covered by an un tucked T shirt.
The knife won't break on you, but might be uncomfortable.

Don't listen to the bashing, mate.
I had your same doubts and I also tried it. So far I've only been able to carry comfortably and easily accessible two fixed blades of that size in the pocket.

First one was the Cold Steel Desperado (5" blade), clipped to the RFP and quickly accessible by grabbing the handle and drawing backwards, the knife presenting itself in tip-forward, edge down position.

20160102_090543_zpstcs1x58m.jpg

20160102_090533_zpswskmgure.jpg

The second one was the Aqua Salt (4.6" blade), clipped in the RFP tip-down, edge in so when accessing it it is taken out in an icepick grip.
None caused problems, even when sitting, and could be quickly grabbed. Sheath and knife stood all the daily activities perfectly fine.

20151209_155706_zpsvdduqb7a.jpg

Leather sheaths are better carried on the belt, or IWB, and larger knives as well, but I found those two very appropriate for pocket carry.
OFC smaller ones like the ARK or CRKT minimalist fit all inside the pocket, sheath included,

20160102_090918_zpsxsiap1un.jpg

Thanks for the input. I really gave up caring what other people think. I do get tired of people on forums similar to this thinking I am "crazy" for trying stuff like this. Or thinking I am stupid cause I don't drink the "kool-aid" and think I can stop a person with a 12 inch blade with a under 4 inch blade.

I am mainly wanting to know this stuff cause I find carrying knives cool. I am a martial artist and wear stuff like knives or impact weapons as a status symbol. In truth if I ever was in a "knife fight" I would try and run away as fast as possible. Because the winner of the "knife fight" dies at the hospital versus in the street.

I do try experiments to become a better martial artist. Like carrying a cane for a day or walking around my house and neighborhood with a baseball bat in my pants. Also I try and stay current with attacks in the news and see how they are done and try and understand the human body as best as possible. Doctors are the most dangerous people I have ever met. They can fix the human body so of course they know how to break it.

If it was not so cumbersome and such I would use a Guan Dao as a walking stick. That is a Chinese kung fu pole-arm.

Instead of trying to walk around with a full sized fixed blade in your pocket have you considered getting a folder that you can wave open as your pulling it out of your pocket? Something like an emerson, a spydie with a zip tie, or maybe one of cold steels big old folders with the thumb plate like the espada, spartan or rajah.

They fully open and lock as you pull them out of the pocket and the pocket clip helps keep it in place so it's actually a bit quicker to deploy, plus it doesn't feel as much like you are walking around with a weight in your pocket.

The biggest fixed blade I've pocket carried is an ESEE 3 or similar, and even that was pushing it a bit (I tend to wear slacks and a shirt, no cargo pants or jeans).

The training knife is flexible. I'd cut a piece of wood or hard plastic to the size of the knife you plan to carry and try moving around and see how it feels.

If you do it get a kydex sheath, as was mentioned. IWB might be more comfortable. The knife isn't going to break. The material used to enclose it will be at risk. Kydex is really the best option. That means you'll need two hands for a draw. Setting it up IWB to a belt will facilitate one hand draw.

look up the southern comfort sheath by Mike Sastre, iwb is going to be the only reasonably comfortable way to carry a full size bowie.

I'm 5'10", 200ish lb, and find anything over about a 5" blade uncomfortable in the pocket. Mostly because of how they change position when I change position. Also, the jeans that I wear do not have deep enough pockets to fully conceal anything much longer. When I pocket carry a fixed blade, it's usually a Dawson G3 Persian, in kydex. And while I second(or third, or fourth) the idea of a kydex or hard plastic sheath to prevent personal injury, there is nothing to say that a heavy leather sheath won't work for you. A Kabar or similar style is not the best choice for concealment, due to the width of the handle and pommel, I'd look for something a little flatter. And you will be at a speed disadvantage, as the sheath will come out of the pocket with the knife, which then has to be removed from the sheath. However, with kydex, this as also an advantage, as the sheath becomes an effective impact weapon in your off-hand. Don't let anyone tell you what works for you, you are the only one who can decide that.

I have carried many a fixed blade in my pocket over the years, and not one has broken. It would take a lot to break a FB in your pocket

I hear that using a sock as a sheath is the key. Never tried it myself, but did see it somewhere on the forums.

Seriously doubt that a fixed blade is going to break, but an interesting question nonetheless.

Back