Fixed blade knife breaking in pocket?

A sock is NOT a sheath for a knife that will be carried in a front pocket. A sock is a sheath for the other "tool" that is carried just forward of the pocket...

I'm 5'10", 200ish lb, and find anything over about a 5" blade uncomfortable in the pocket. Mostly because of how they change position when I change position. Also, the jeans that I wear do not have deep enough pockets to fully conceal anything much longer. When I pocket carry a fixed blade, it's usually a Dawson G3 Persian, in kydex. And while I second(or third, or fourth) the idea of a kydex or hard plastic sheath to prevent personal injury, there is nothing to say that a heavy leather sheath won't work for you. A Kabar or similar style is not the best choice for concealment, due to the width of the handle and pommel, I'd look for something a little flatter. And you will be at a speed disadvantage, as the sheath will come out of the pocket with the knife, which then has to be removed from the sheath. However, with kydex, this as also an advantage, as the sheath becomes an effective impact weapon in your off-hand. Don't let anyone tell you what works for you, you are the only one who can decide that.

+1 even though the OP specified a fixed blade, and FBs are arguably faster and definitely more reliable, with some practice the difference in time and speed between a waved folder and a fixed knife are negligible, with the added benefit of concealment and size/weight issues

20151213_090357_zpsve4jpfwc.jpg

as ugly as it is, the Zip Tie mod is a cheap -and reversible- way to "wave" almost any folder out there and experiment with brands, shapes, sizes etc.

20160321_105655_zpsyhbi23hr.jpg

of course there's also the factory wave from Spyderco, Emerson or Cold Steel or other brands (some work better than others and change depending on size, pants' pockets, texture, seam thickness...) it's a matter of experimenting and choosing what works better for you

13007097_1061295853932260_8405268411724387960_n_zpsworremu0.jpg

there are many 5 or 5.5" blades in folders that are or can be waved :thumbsup:

5-7 fixed is ten inches of depth to be accomodated for. If you are using a Kydex sheath, it can deform and affect retention over time.

+1 even though the OP specified a fixed blade, and FBs are arguably faster and definitely more reliable, with some practice the difference in time and speed between a waved folder and a fixed knife are negligible, with the added benefit of concealment and size/weight issues

20151213_090357_zpsve4jpfwc.jpg

as ugly as it is, the Zip Tie mod is a cheap -and reversible- way to "wave" almost any folder out there and experiment with brands, shapes, sizes etc.

20160321_105655_zpsyhbi23hr.jpg

of course there's also the factory wave from Spyderco, Emerson or Cold Steel or other brands (some work better than others and change depending on size, pants' pockets, texture, seam thickness...) it's a matter of experimenting and choosing what works better for you

13007097_1061295853932260_8405268411724387960_n_zpsworremu0.jpg

there are many 5 or 5.5" blades in folders that are or can be waved :thumbsup:

Folding knives break and are not as sturdy as a fixed blade and like you said take time to deploy.

5-7 fixed is ten inches of depth to be accomodated for. If you are using a Kydex sheath, it can deform and affect retention over time.

Thanks for the input. will see if that affects my stuff.

come july I will be purchasing a glock knife and trying this for around a month. Will make a post and keep you all updated.

I am mainly wanting to know this stuff cause I find carrying knives cool. I am a martial artist and wear stuff like knives or impact weapons as a status symbol. In truth if I ever was in a "knife fight" I would try and run away as fast as possible. Because the winner of the "knife fight" dies at the hospital versus in the street.

Huh? How is it a status symbol if it's in your pocket and people don't know about it? Similarly, why in the world would anyone consider a knife to be a status symbol just by nature of it being a large fixed blade? What status do you get from it?

I'll also add, I have never heard of an actual martial artist who wears weapons for the purpose of elevating his status. At least not in modern Western culture.

This is all starting to sound very very mall ninja with a dash of troll added for good measure.

Last edited:
Huh? How is it a status symbol if it's in your pocket and people don't know about it? Similarly, why in the world would anyone consider a knife to be a status symbol just by nature of it being a large fixed blade? What status do you get from it?

I'll also add, I have never heard of an actual martial artist who wears weapons for the purpose of elevating his status. At least not in modern Western culture.

This is all starting to sound very very mall ninja with a dash of troll added for good measure.

Just call me an idiot and such then. I am so used to that by now.

Yea, the status symbol line was wack. Unless I'm just misunderstanding it. But I don't think I am. Did you actually mean that you want to carry a large fixed blade in your front pocket for status? Lol

Folding knives break and are not as sturdy as a fixed blade and like you said take time to deploy.

Thanks for the input. will see if that affects my stuff.

come july I will be purchasing a glock knife and trying this for around a month. Will make a post and keep you all updated.

You'll be getting a glock knife? That's a poor decision.

Forget pocket carry, just duct-tape the blade to your back between the shoulder blades. Best self-defense carry imo.

N5DXNib.gif

A sock is NOT a sheath for a knife that will be carried in a front pocket. A sock is a sheath for the other "tool" that is carried just forward of the pocket...

It's from the "Wisdom of Gaston"...

The photo below shows just how unobtrusive the carry of even the gigantic 10 5/16" Colin Cox is... No real point to the Blackjack dagger in a shoulder harness, unless you really want a good spear point... I added to it its own tie-up rope... The one bad thing about hollow handles is they really are terrible at tying up as spear tips, and they make poor spear tips anyway...

P7220218_zpsuftixcgo.jpg

Gaston

He considers a tube sock on a huge knife a great way to carry it stuffed down your pants.

Most folks disagree with him. ;)

Well, if it works for him, OK, it works for him. But I'm not going to walk around town with a Rambo knife stuffed in my pants. I have a .45 for that kind of social work. And if I'm not in town, I hang a chopper or 'hawk from my belt, and don't think too much about concealment.

Though I've made a few front pocket fixed EDC knives but for safety & practicality reasons they were never more than a 3 1/2" blade and they had thick leather sheaths with a pocket clip. ...... There is a reason that you don't see long knives for front pocket carry!:rolleyes: Go SOB or belt sheath to carry any knife over about 5"

I hear that using a sock as a sheath is the key.

...only if that is a Kevlar sock... Not something I would do, in any case.

A previous poster suggested that you might consider a heavy-duty folding blade, which may well be well suited to your position...
This knife is about as heavy-duty as folders can get, and the blade-steel is about the toughest you'll find, and you will seldom, if ever, have to resharpen the great CPM-10V steel. I have one, and it is a superb folding knife, although I have absolutely no practical use for it. Enjoy your hunt.
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Farid-Mehr-K2-Frame-Lock--24532

or...as a scary alternative, check out the Cold Steel Frenzy in post #10 in this recent link:
http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spyderco-para-2-as-eddc.1500600/

Last edited:
It's from the "Wisdom of Gaston"...

He considers a tube sock on a huge knife a great way to carry it stuffed down your pants.

Most folks disagree with him. ;)

Bill Bagwell used to say: "Americans are the only people in the world whose big knives pull their pants down as they walk."

Most folks think powder steel, unpainted Carbon, convex edges, 20 dps, 4-5" blades and hitting the back of your (small) knife with a bludgeon (to drive it into wood), are all just the thing for Survival... They also think showing your knife plainly to every stranger is a good idea, especially when far away from any help... Fortunately, rosaries are said all over the world for misguided souls, so they should be alright while they split wood in their backyards...

Gaston

Last edited:
Bill Bagwell used to say: "Americans are the only people in the world whose big knives pull their pants down as they walk."

Most folks think powder steel, unpainted Carbon, convex edges, 20 dps, 4-5" blades and hitting the back of your (small) knife with a bludgeon (to drive it into wood), are all just the thing for Survival... They also think showing your knife plainly to every stranger is a good idea, especially when far away from any help... Fortunately, rosaries are said all over the world for misguided souls, so they should be alright while they split wood in their backyards...

Gaston

At least you don't see those "folks" fastening a hollow handled knife to a stick to use it as a spear.
That's a special kind of stupid.

Back