Fixed blade removable scales, protecting steel under scales

ATJ999

Gold Member
Hey everyone, been a while! So I usually use something simple like CLP under my removable scales to protect the steel underneath. Usually, with Micarta, the CLP slowly gets absorbed and eventually I would need to reapply.

I recently read on here that someone puts wax under the scales, which seems like a great long term protectant. I was wondering if anyone does this and had a few questions. What kind of wax and how to apply it? Also, if anyone else has any other methods of protecting the steel under the scales, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks for the info

Hmmm, never really thought of it....

But I wonder if "never seize" would work? It might be a bit messy but that stuff amazes me every time I remove something that was coated with it...

Its water resistant, Non-Flammable, uses aluminum, copper and graphite as its base and can be used on Aluminum, Brass, Iron & Stainless Steel....

I don't know, I guess it could work...

Now I wonder if something like this would be good on a folders pivot???

https://www.grainger.com/product/3C...ucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231

honestly, I'd get some clear krylon for steel, sand lightly to rough up the steel, degrease and paint it.

More permanent, prevents me from having to take the scales.

I strip coated blades because i dont like the friction while cutting, but i always leave the coating under the scales for exactly this reason.

I'd never worry about it. Stainless steel is pretty good at being OK for normal use. If you're in the ocean etc. then you may need to pay more attention and get special knives.

The riddle of steel is making it good at cutting.

I recently read on here that someone puts wax under the scales, which seems like a great long term protectant. I was wondering if anyone does this and had a few questions. What kind of wax and how to apply it? Also, if anyone else has any other methods of protecting the steel under the scales, I'd like to hear them.

That might have been me as I do it when the scales are removable. I use Renaissance wax and give it two coats after making sure there is nothing corrosive remaining on the steel. I get those yellow cloths and make sure they are clean and polish the blade just like I would a car. After it has dried for about 15 minutes I put the scales back on and am done with it.

Krylon or Rustoleum spray would work pretty well and if it was hidden under the scales/ grips the looks would not be a problem. I've never done it on a knife but it should work fine.

Joe

I use Chapstick. And it's a darn good corrosion inhibitor. Plus, food safe it that is a concern.

That was definitely worth the 10-15 minutes of reading. I use mineral oil a lot and am surprised at the results. My knives don’t see salt water and whatnot but damn, I figured it would have done much better

For under the scales, I’m wondering if just a normal paste wax like Turtle Wax would work fine, is that what was referenced in the first post, or another wax?

Ok great! thanks for the responses! I might give these a try with various knives and see how each does.

For under the scales, I’m wondering if just a normal paste wax like Turtle Wax would work fine, is that what was referenced in the first post, or another wax?
I would think paste wax or car wax would seal the steel quite well. I treated my Opinel #8 Carbon with Johnson's paste wax for floors to seal the wood so it doesn't swell and bind the blade. It also protects the blade. My original Blackjack Campanion in 1095 has some kind of extremely tough epoxy coating which covers both tang and blade, which could be an option. But really, I wouldn't worry about rust under the grips.

Every knife that ships out of here has several coats of Mother's Carnauba car wax on them, blade, bolster, handle. These are ready for final clean up after buffing off the wax and sharpening.

0g2cbIh.jpg

mpMGncZ.jpg

Think about what car wax is designed to do. To protect metal that is outside in all weathers. While I don't make any knives with removable scales (well ya can with a bandsaw but its kinda a one time deal), I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be an ideal solution for ya. I use to use the Ren wax but its spendy and not really designed for outside use. I like the Mothers better. Not so keen on Turtle Wax either.

How about some of the rubberized truck bed liner material. Tape off the areas you do not want sprayed and apply.

Maybe even better would be that Plasti-Dip stuff? There are several products that you can dip things like tool handles into and hang to dry. It leaves rubber or plastic like material on a handle.

Epoxy works pretty good at keeping moisture out....You wont Ever see rust!

Back