Fixed Blade Suggestions.

I need some suggestions for a fixed blade for EDC carry, the primary purpose is self defense and the occasional heavy cutting chore. I already carry a large folder(Cuda MAXX 5.5), but I sometimes work in bad parts of town(unavoidable) and cannot carry a gun, so this is for those times when I want/need something a bit more substantial, to feel comfortable.

Requirements:

Minimum of 440C/AUS8 steel nothing less!! I prefer D2, S30V, or a high carbon tool steel.
Blade length: At least 4.5" no more than 5.5"(legal limit for the state)
Sheath: I'd prefer something already having a kydex IWB sheath, but will consider anything.
Blade Style: No double edges(as per state law). Otherwise everything is fair game.
Price: Less than $150

Already under consideration:

Swamp Rat Bandicoot and Howling Rat
Al Mar SERE Operator 2000

Thanks,

-Rob

All right! A "suggestion" post complete with specs and price range! Nice job. :)

That Al Mar sounds good.

Check out the Gerber CQB (or is it CQC?). Similar except a bit thicker.
Also the Gerber Yari which has been discontinued for a while but can be had for around $100 on the forums and ebay.
Gerber also just came out with a Pilot/survival knife that I thought looked interesting.

You probably wantt something versatile as possible so you get some good use out of it. Any decent fixed blade can be used for SD in a pinch.

Believe it or not, K-Bar makes some interesting stuff in D2. Both with micarta and rubber handles. Their rubber handles feel really good too - nice and hard; not squishy.

Don't forget Spyderco. Nice designs, but almost all have plastic handles.

Benchmade just came out with some interesting stuff.

I've got the Al Mar, and it would make a great SD knife: it's light, fast in hand, very pointy, and the sheath allows a variety of carry options. The edge geometry makes it a very good slicer, and the S30V blade is nice and tough. The handle is very narrow, which might not be comfortable for someone with big hands.

If you want something a bit more traditional/pretty it's worth checking out the Northwoods Willow Leaf. It has a very sharp full convex grind a2 drop point blade, and it's my favorite knife at the moment.

You're already thinking about Swamp Rat, and I don't think you can go wrong with anything they make. I love using my Ratweiler, and am waiting for a Dog Skinner to arrive.

Benchmade Nimravus in 154cm should suit and you should be able to pick up one for less then the RP of $160.00.

Spyderco Perrin - $100.00

Full flat ground VG-10 blade
Great handle
Decent sheath
Outstanding cutter
Great for utility or SD

when i carry a FB i carry an amoeba by bud nealy myself, its too short for ya though (4") but the 5" pesh kebz (i have one also) would be a good one, i prefer buds stuff for concealed carry because it "rides" so well, once ya get them in place its like they arent there, do prefer the MASS vs the MCS, MCS doesnt work for me but MASS rocks, the amoeba with its abbreviated handle carries very well.

in production stuff the cammilus CQB by terzuola is hard to beat.

FWIW most production knives, irregardless of price have crummy sheaths, do yourself a favor and get a good custom kydex sheath, best $25 ya will spend, when it comes to the way the knives carry, can make a BIG diff in ease of carry/concealment.

Back