Fixed Blades in CA

Should I even bother BUYING a fixed blade? I live in California. No point buying one if I can't take it outside the kitchen.

Even though it is completely legal to wear a fixed blade knife visible on your belt, the local LEO's don't like it and have been known to confiscate a blade if they didn't like something about the meeting between themselves and the citizen.

Many years ago, I wore a Case XX USMC knife to town one day to do some shopping with the wife. As we were walking out of the membership warehouse store an LEO drove by and actually stopped his vehicle and made it completely clear that he wasn't happy that I was wearing such a weapon in his town. He didn't say anything, but the look he gave me had the feel of a glock, if you know what I mean. I havn't worn a large knife or any knife on my belt since. I do carry a good linerlock, but reserve my fixed blades for the woods.

Originally posted by Skunkabilly
Should I even bother BUYING a fixed blade? I live in California. No point buying one if I can't take it outside the kitchen.
You can't legally conceal it, that's really the only law. If that makes them impractical for you to carry, then stick with folders most of the time. I do. Or just strap a sword or two to your belt and walk through town. They may not like it, but legal is legal. (note: check your local laws as they may be more restrictive than state laws)

Washington's handgun law is similar--or was back in the '80s. My uncle managed a gun club and this guy came to the range every week. He didn't have a concealed carry permit, so he came with his Single Action Army strapped to his hip. And get this . . . he rode the bus :D

Back