Fixing an off-center blade (little help?)

Let's say you took apart your Benchmade 520 (or had someone do it for you), and now that it's back together, the blade rubs against one of the liners pretty bad. What can you do to get it back where it's supposed to be?

Shmackey said:
Let's say you took apart your Benchmade 520 (or had someone do it for you), and now that it's back together, the blade rubs against one of the liners pretty bad. What can you do to get it back where it's supposed to be?

I've been able to take a knife and flex it with my fingers on one side and thumbs on the other and pop everything back into place. Try that. If not, you might have to completely disassemble and reassemble. Something is just probably not seated right.

If it does pop into place with a little finger flexing of the frame, then go back and retighten the body screws afterward because something will probably be loose afterward.

That's good advice given above.

I've had that happen upon re-assembly of a Sebenza. Loosen the pivot pin and spacer screws, center the blade, and retighten. Keeping the blade centered is dependent on the sequence and pressure you use when tightening everything up. You will probably have to play with it a little bit to get it right. Once everything is good to go under moderate pressure you can probably snug it all down and adjust the pivot pin pressure.
Regards,
Greg

You can flex the handle, but you should also make sure the back spacers are set correctly, even the pivot not correctly set can affect the blade position.

If flexing does not work, take it apart and put it back together again, carefully. Clean any kind of loctite off the screws before you reassemble though.

Back