fjallraven

Does anybody have any experience with this company's pants. My local Cabelas has some in my size. I am leery of spending that much on a pair of pants. thanks

Broad question as they have at least a half dozen models. The two I've settled on are fantastic, maybe the best outdoor pants ever....BUT, the other models for me would be a disaster....Let me explain.

For me it's all in the inseam, as most of the fabrics are consistent (G1000, reg, HD, lite), although their feature set is not. Go to their website and do your research on the model you are looking at Cabelas, some have double fabric on front, some don't, weight and feature set are different. Watch the youtube videos as well, to make sure you purchase correctly.

The deal on inseam is either fixed, two position snap adjustable or hem to your inseam. Since I am height challenged, only the hem to my inseam works for me, took them to the cleaners, had them altered and bets Pants ever. Bought another pair different model, same type of inseam, and again best pants ever.

Good luck.

I've got a pair of Barrents pro pants that come raw length, great for me since I'm not tall as such, but very skinny comparatively. Really like them, once you get the pockets figured out, they are great. I've waxed mine and they are my "tropical winter" pants, If it gets really miserable I've got some wool aussie army dress slacks that I can pair with other shell pants. I've also got one of their jackets, and a backpack, and have been very happy with the overall quality. Really great stuff if you are around fires at all, compared to modern super-synthetics.

I've got a pair of Barrents pro pants that come raw length, great for me since I'm not tall as such, but very skinny comparatively. Really like them, once you get the pockets figured out, they are great. I've waxed mine and they are my "tropical winter" pants, If it gets really miserable I've got some wool aussie army dress slacks that I can pair with other shell pants. I've also got one of their jackets, and a backpack, and have been very happy with the overall quality. Really great stuff if you are around fires at all, compared to modern super-synthetics.
The 'Forest' pants with a hydratic lining are a great choice for wetter/colder environments.

Wet/cold are very much relative terms. I find that in high humidity environments, like the coastal subtropics where I am, membrane style rain gear tends to not work very well. It will usually still keep the rain out, but it saturates, and then doesn't breath at all. Different strokes as they say.

Wet/cold are very much relative terms. I find that in high humidity environments, like the coastal subtropics where I am, membrane style rain gear tends to not work very well. It will usually still keep the rain out, but it saturates, and then doesn't breath at all. Different strokes as they say.
Definately. The Brecon Beacons here in Wales certainly don't get categorised as sub-tropical ;)

Does anybody have any experience with this company's pants. My local Cabelas has some in my size. I am leery of spending that much on a pair of pants. thanks
Ive worn Fjällräven pants for quite a few years (different ones - not the same pair! ;-) ) and heartedly recommend them.

I currently have app 15 pairs or so of different models - most of them G1000.

They are expensive but very nice quality.

I use the pants for hiking, camping, other outdoor activities all year round and just to generally loaf around in on weekends - I tend to scoop them up when on sales and just put them aside till a pair of pants wear out. I estimate I wont have to buy more for the foreseeable future ;-)

They are not a tight fit thus excellent for outdoor activities, some models have reinforced patches, so holds up well. Some have more pockets than other models, so find out which pants you need i. e. what your needs are.

There are more sexy pants out there but the quality of Fjällräven is hard to beat.

As mentioned, expensive though, buy them when on sale if possible.

The short version - Fjällräven makes nice stuff. Some of it silly expensive. You decide if its worth it (and/or buy last model on sale, as I do).

And example of the ridiculous pricing on some products; I tend to use a smock for when camping/hiking (currently use a British desert smock, that I got when in a hot and nasty country) - the epitome of the Fjällräven smock is the recycled 'Smock #1.' Its a whopping $730!!

Its dang nice but not 730 bucks worth of nice, if you catch my drift.

As if Id ever pay that for a smock - they must have eaten stale fermented meatballs, the Swedish Fjällräven idiots.

Get the pants though.

I have Barents lined pants for cold weather,the placement of the leg pockets are strange at first,but the quality is imho worth it.

Back